Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Channel inserts

We have an X32RACK we're using for a small local radio station. Our on-air studio has 4 mics connected a Mackie ProFX16 mixer with a main-out going to one of the channels on the X32. We also have a MixerBuddy (http://www.bswusa.com/Consoles-Broadcast-Tools-MixerBuddy-P8243.aspx) connected to each of the channel inserts on the ProFX16. This allows the DJ to press button 1 on the MixerBuddy to turn on mic 1 one, button 2 for mic 2, and so on. Is this something than can be done on the X32 so we can eliminate the need for the ProFX16? We would use channels 1-4 on the X32 for the mics and AUX-OUT 1-4 for the channel inserts. I posted a couple pictures of what I thought the configuration should look like, but apparently I either have something wrong or the X32 doesn't have this capability.
RyanHagfors Contributor - Level 1 2016-10-28

2016-10-28

Channel inserts

We have an X32RACK we're using for a small local radio station. Our on-air studio has 4 mics connected a Mackie ProFX16 mixer with a main-out going to one of the channels on the X32. We also have a MixerBuddy (http://www.bswusa.com/Consoles-Broadcast-Tools-MixerBuddy-P8243.aspx) connected to each of the channel inserts on the ProFX16. This allows the DJ to press button 1 on the MixerBuddy to turn on mic 1 one, button 2 for mic 2, and so on. Is this something than can be done on the X32 so we can eliminate the need for the ProFX16? We would use channels 1-4 on the X32 for the mics and AUX-OUT 1-4 for the channel inserts. I posted a couple pictures of what I thought the configuration should look like, but apparently I either have something wrong or the X32 doesn't have this capability.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Channel inserts

Routing's fine, but you need to also switch the insert in. That said, if I'm understanding correctly, what you're trying to accomplish could be done just using snippets, and/or user assigned buttons, (possibly operated remotely) so no need for outboard.
Contributor - Level 2

OK so you've got aux1-4 outputs patched to the mixerbuddy. what's patched into aux inputs 1-4?
Timothy (Tim) Metzinger Engineer, Pilot, Husband, Dad Location recording, live sound, audio networking, still waiting for the post-loudness era.
Contributor - Level 1

We don't have anything patched in to the Aux inputs 1-4 . The inserts on the ProFX16 mixer send the signal through the tip of the plug to the MixerBuddy. If that mic's button is turned on on the MixerBuddy, it closes the circuit and returns the signal back through on the ring of the plug. If the mic's button on the MixerBuddy is off, it opens the circuit so the signal isn't returned to the mixer. The MixerBuddy serves a few purposes for us: our DJ's can mute/unmute any of the mics without having to give them access to X32-Edit; turning on any of the mics closes a relay in the MixerBuddy that flips our "On-Air" light on; and it mutes our studio monitors when a mic is flipped on.