Recording

Highlighted

Dn9680, x32 & sd8

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Guys,
So I have an x32 and sd8 that are 500m apart and single mode fiber.

I bought the DN9680 to transport the AES50, and I do get bidirectional sound, but loose all control of the preamps in the sd8.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance. -Matt
Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Dn9680, x32 & sd8

Volunteer Moderator
The DN9680 does not support the X32/M32 AES50 control communication protocol (and will probably never do unless all of the X32/M32 equipment is updated in some future).

That said the DN9620 is the right tool to use for the X32/M32.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 3
Robert Lofgren;122478 wrote:
The DN9680 does not support the X32/M32 AES50 control communication protocol (and will probably never do unless all of the X32/M32 equipment is updated in some future).

That said the DN9620 is the right tool to use for the X32/M32.

Does the DN9620 have the same limitations as the DN9680?

Volunteer Moderator
Kevin Maxwell;122504 wrote:
Does the DN9620 have the same limitations as the DN9680?

I have no idea. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable than me can chime in...
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
So the DN9620 will work with X32?
Trouble is I have single mode fibre in the ground and that unit is multimode. Can you purchase the single mode SFP? As with the DN9680 you can purchase multimode SFP.

Thanks again for the info.
I wish that they had given more info about what it will and won't support. Wasted $4.5k Aud on those boxes and they are non returnable.

Cheers, Matt

Still in progress

Contributor - Level 1
Matt,

I hear your frustrations, especially since most places don't allow you to return them, which is ridiculous. I luckily found a reseller on Amazon so trying to get this all figured out before my 30 days are up.

I contacted support today and they are looking into trying to confirm what Robert mentioned.

They specifically mention that this is for single-mode fiber. I have tried the DN9620 before to see if it would work over single-mode even though it says multi-mode and I can confirm that DN9620 does not work over single-mode.

This is excerpt from DN9680 product page, which states what this device should do.
A dual-fibre Neutrik opticalCON DUO connector is used for optical fibre snake connection, enabling a bidirectional optical link on one single-mode dual fibre cable. The optional DN9680-MM upgrade kit allows conversion for use with multi-mode dual fibre cable.

Volunteer Moderator
Since this question is quite important I will make a quick summary of the current limitations.

1. The AES50 streams are all compatible across the different devices, the question only relates to the tunnelled control communication. I.e. audio signals are not affected by this but preamp control is.

2. The X/M32-series control communication over AES50 cannot easily be changed to make them travel over DN9680 bridges. They are aware, but there is no way to address it in a quick manor as it involves backwards compatibility issues with all the several 100k of products in the market already.

3. The DN9620 has no adaptor kit for changing the multi-mode fibre to single-mode, currently. It is said that there are plans to create such a kit, but there is currently no clear timeline for this.

4. There is no experience in terms of maximum transmission distance using SM fibre between DN9620 MM ports. So, this cannot currently be confirmed/excluded.

5. There is currently an open question to RnD if the DN9680 can be updated to include X/M32 control support.

I hope that helps, anyway.

Volunteer Moderator
Matt Williamson;122538 wrote:

Thanks again for the info.
I wish that they had given more info about what it will and won't support. Wasted $4.5k Aud on those boxes and they are non returnable.

Sorry about your trouble but I would certainly contact Care support to see if they can help out in this case.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks for the updates,

Will the x32 work through a dn9620 with control?

My local distributor has instructed me that there IS a single mode conversion kit available for DN9620.. Fake News? haha

Volunteer Moderator
Matt Williamson;122841 wrote:
Thanks for the updates,

Will the x32 work through a dn9620 with control?

This is what I've been told by the people who should know.

My local distributor has instructed me that there IS a single mode conversion kit available for DN9620.. Fake News? haha

Perhaps he has a 3'rd party kit?

I just googled this one that may work

https://www.perle.com/products/fast-ethernet-fiber-converter.shtml
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors