Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Does anyone use a ups at foh?

Contributor - Level 2
Just curious if anyone uses a small ups for the desk and ancillaries?
The thought crossed my mind when I had to use a long extension lead to get power at a recent show?

Craig
Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19

Saying

Contributor - Level 2
My grandfather always use to say, "Better safe, than sorry!"

I use one and really have never needed it. The surge protection just feels right? MHO

Re: Does anyone use a ups at foh?

Volunteer Moderator
Craig Garnett;157112 wrote:

I do - sort of. I always bring with me 2 Tripplite AVR550 UPS when I use my dual X32 Rack setup. On the rare occasion that I use both Racks (one at stage, the other at FOH), I have each plugged into a UPS. Typically my FOH consists of me, my android tablet, Mixing Station Pro, and a comfortable chair, thus no need of a UPS at FOH.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Volunteer Moderator
Well, technically the builtin battery in the tablet could be considered an ups since it will still run should you disconnect external power .

Paul Vannatto;157117 wrote:
Typically my FOH consists of me, my android tablet, Mixing Station Pro, and a comfortable chair, thus no need of a UPS at FOH.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Craig Garnett;157112 wrote:
The thought crossed my mind when I had to use a long extension lead to get power at a recent show?

Craig

Yes I do
> Eaton Ellipse PRO 1200 on stage > 2-3 S16 and 1 X32Core rig,
50m power extension to FOH and 1 S16 and 1-2 X32Core rig at FOH
no more hassle if the power goes down ( booting, syncing, etc )

Best
Klaus
http://redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg

Contributor - Level 3
We do a summer outdoor concert series that we don’t use a UPS for and so far we haven’t had any problems. We have done a lot of concerts there over the years and we never had a power problem at this location. We have a dedicated set of circuits feeding our distro and years of experience there.

But when doing Musical theater shows we always use a UPS for FOH also because of all of the experience there, which was not always good. We also have dedicated circuits for the distro but we have lost power over the years due to a lot of different things that have happened there. From losing all power to the venue to someone throwing the master breaker on the panel we were tied into. And someone throwing just our breakers for some unknown reason. The UPS kept us up and running. One time someone was trying to find what circuit was for something. I found out later what they were doing, I guess they couldn’t read and they not only threw the linked breakers, they did it repeatedly, rather fast. One of the things at FOH that I didn’t have plugged into the UPS was a sampler for SFX playback. This flicking the power on and off caused it to lose all of the data on the memory card. After that if I was using that sampler I always plug it into the UPS.

Since in both of those cases we have a set of breakers that is just for our distro we know that nothing else is plugged into those breakers like there might be if you were just using an outlet on a wall somewhere.

Contributor - Level 2
I have two Racks and a full console. I ALWAYS have whatever X32 I'm using plugged into a UPS. Bottom line....This thing is a computer. For the little bit of money a UPS will cost, there's really no option in my opinion. You don't need anything major, just enough reserve power for you to properly shut the X32 down if the power goes out...Or to keep it running if the power outage only lasts a few seconds.

Contributor - Level 2
Paul Vannatto;157117 wrote:
I do - sort of. I always bring with me 2 Tripplite AVR550 UPS when I use my dual X32 Rack setup. On the rare occasion that I use both Racks (one at stage, the other at FOH), I have each plugged into a UPS. Typically my FOH consists of me, my android tablet, Mixing Station Pro, and a comfortable chair, thus no need of a UPS at FOH.

Paul,
Have you ever tested how long the 550va will power a rack for with the mains power failed?

Craig

Volunteer Moderator
Craig Garnett;157305 wrote:
Paul,
Have you ever tested how long the 550va will power a rack for with the mains power failed?

I haven't actually ran it until the battery quit. It usually takes me 5-8 minutes to turn off all of the powered speakers, stageboxes, etc. and finally the Rack and it was sufficient for that. Maybe someday I'll get "brave" and let it run itself out.

The one main reason I use this particular model is that it does have the AV (automatic voltage regulation) which helps adjust for brownouts as well as basic power conditioning.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
I'm just thinking about the situation where someone knocks an extension lead out and how long it would take to notice and then how long I'd have to sort it out whilst still running the show!

The 550VA seems like a popular size but they quote around 8 mins at 50% load and I'm thinking an X32 would be around 20% load.

Craig
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors