Recording

Highlighted

Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 2
As the title asks, is there anything that gets outputted via OSC when a scene changes? I'd like to use that as a trigger in Reaper to set a marker without querying the console.

Thanks,
SK

I've dug all over the internet trying to find this out, but so far all that I can find is how to parse scenes from the console. I won't be able to get to a console to try to set up some kind of data capture for a while, but would like to go ahead and build some scripts based on this feature, if it exists.
Tags (1)
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum. As far as I know, the answer is no. Scene change does not trigger any OSC command as an output. The only thing I'm aware of is that you can assign a midi output that is triggered when specific cue is triggered. This is done on the show screen on the Midi tab.
Now it is possible that Patrick's X32Reaper tool (https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32) might help with a solution.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 3
Scott Kennett;136971 wrote:
As the title asks, is there anything that gets outputted via OSC when a scene changes? I'd like to use that as a trigger in Reaper to set a marker without querying the console.

Thanks,
SK

I've dug all over the internet trying to find this out, but so far all that I can find is how to parse scenes from the console. I won't be able to get to a console to try to set up some kind of data capture for a while, but would like to go ahead and build some scripts based on this feature, if it exists.


Yes. I just tested it and it does send a string of OSC data.

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 3
Paul Vannatto;136978 wrote:
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum. As far as I know, the answer is no. Scene change does not trigger any OSC command as an output. The only thing I'm aware of is that you can assign a midi output that is triggered when specific cue is triggered. This is done on the show screen on the Midi tab.
Now it is possible that Patrick's X32Reaper tool (https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32) might help with a solution.


Sorry Paul, I didn’t mean to contradict you. I actually posted my answer and then saw that you had answered. I have an M32 sitting next to me at the moment and I hooked it up to my computer and I started up Palladium. It has a Data monitoring feature and I hit go on a scene and saw a whole bunch of OSC data coming from the console. If you are already in the scene it doesn’t send seem to send out all of the data it just sends 2 commands and one of them seems to be the time of day. If you go to a new scene it sends a whole bunch of data. I am not sure if this is just a Palladium thing. Because Palladium has the ability to capture the data sent by the M32 when a scene is recalled. I would think that any program that is setup to receive OSC should also see the data string when a scene is recalled.

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 2
Paul Vannatto;136978 wrote:
Now it is possible that Patrick's X32Reaper tool (https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32) might help with a solution.


Thanks for the reply.

I've used this tool before to control the X32, but I don't remember if it interacts with the scene buttons on the console in any way.

I do know that using X32-Edit.exe, it will indicate which scene is current when configured to be controlled by the console, but I can't say if it gets this update via a push from the console, or from a query/polling from the software. If it's done via a push, maybe I can write some kind of script to turn that into an Add Marker event during a live recording. I'd be worried about latency issues if I need to query the console every so many milliseconds to get the marker as close to actual as possible.

(Note to Self: Learn how to write scripts for Reaper (AutoHotKey comes to mind, so maybe expound upon your current knowledge of it to perhaps be the middle-man in this adventure). Oh, and it probably would be a good idea to learn how to capture OSC data to make the script work. End Note to Self.)

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 3
Scott Kennett;137009 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I've used this tool before to control the X32, but I don't remember if it interacts with the scene buttons on the console in any way.

I do know that using X32-Edit.exe, it will indicate which scene is current when configured to be controlled by the console, but I can't say if it gets this update via a push from the console, or from a query/polling from the software. If it's done via a push, maybe I can write some kind of script to turn that into an Add Marker event during a live recording. I'd be worried about latency issues if I need to query the console every so many milliseconds to get the marker as close to actual as possible.

(Note to Self: Learn how to write scripts for Reaper (AutoHotKey comes to mind, so maybe expound upon your current knowledge of it to perhaps be the middle-man in this adventure). Oh, and it probably would be a good idea to learn how to capture OSC data to make the script work. End Note to Self.)


X32Reaper does not intercepts scene-related changes (it can if there's enough demand, and a real use thereafter).

X32 does not send OSC information that would say "I loaded scene xyz" unless it is setup in a specific mode[see two posts later], but the changes from one scene to the other will be sent to listening clients. So if from the current scene to the one you load, channel 16 fader is the only change, you will receive a "/ch/16/mix/fader~~~~,f~~[0.3998]" (for example).
But more interesting, scene changes can be undone, [a 1 undo depth heap, so don't dream], and a "/-undo/time~,s~~20:00:33~~~~" OSC message will be sent prior to the scene change. Also, after the scene change and depending on how the scene change was requested, you will also receive the display status of the console, with a "/-action/newscreen~~,i~~[ 0]" OSC command.

That's plenty of information to track down scene changes from an external app. but none to let you know which scene has been loaded Smiley Sad - For example, do the following test: using MixingStation, and two scenes in your X32 you can change/load scenes per MixingStation requests into your X32, but if you load a scene using your X32, Mixing Station will not be able to know which one was loaded.

Note that if you load the same scene, there will be no change to report, but you'll still get the two following OSC messages:
"/-undo/time~,s~~19:59:37~~~~"
"/-action/newscreen~~,i~~[ 0]"

Hope this helps,

-Patrick

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 2
Patrick-Gilles Maillot;137012 wrote:
Note that if you load the same scene, there will be no change to report, but you'll still get the two following OSC messages:
"/-undo/time~,s~~19:59:37~~~~"
"/-action/newscreen~~,i~~[ 0]"


Thanks for chiming in, Patrick.

So in theory, if I can get my sound guy (is he really an engineer if he just presses buttons and moves sliders?) to at least press the same scene button (or perhaps a different one) at the end of a session, I could then monitor this 'undo' message and that could be my trigger to set a marker? (Not exactly dependable, but so far it's better than nothing, right?)


The gist of my application is this: I'm setting up Reaper to automatically record (all 32 channels) of my church's services from Go Time (mostly a dependable start time) until the last note on the piano at the end of the service (hardly ever a dependable end time)... that part isn't a problem because I'm using AutoHotKey and the Windows Task Scheduler to start and stop the recording based on time of day. However, only the actual sermon from the preacher is allowed to be uploaded to our website (no music or prayer times). The preacher's starting and ending times are never the same, and my sound guy will not be able to help me with Reaper, hence why I need to depend on markers set by an external source. Scene changes are about the only thing the sound guy does on a regular basis that I can depend on.

The long end of It is this: After each recording, my automation setup zips up all of the files from Reaper and moves them to my cloud service, whereby my home computer downloads, relocates from the cloud to a local folder, and unzips it so that I can get to work on the other renders needed to be done (CD archiving, and the worst part: the editing for radio (mixing down to fit within a 30 minute airplay slot)... it can take hours to download depending on connectivity, and a few days to mix the sermon for airplay. I'm trying to find every shortcut that I can to minimize that step.

I was hoping to add to the automation process a rendering setup prior to 'the cloud maneuver' from one specific marker to the next based on the longest time between markers. I was thinking of using Command ID 41758 (along with some code to modify the exported file), and then use Command ID 41759 to set the region (unless you know of a better way to set a region). I can automate the FX Chains using AutoHotKey. Once the rendered file is done, it will automatically upload it to our website for immediate use, THEN perform 'the cloud maneuver'. {That's what I'm trying to get accomplished, anyway.}

Am I making this too complicated?

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 3
Scott Kennett;137029 wrote:
Thanks for chiming in, Patrick.

So in theory, if I can get my sound guy (is he really an engineer if he just presses buttons and moves sliders?) to at least press the same scene button (or perhaps a different one) at the end of a session, I could then monitor this 'undo' message and that could be my trigger to set a marker? (Not exactly dependable, but so far it's better than nothing, right?)


If (s)he's got good ears, call him/her an engineer Smiley Happy

You can monitor the undo message (maybe secure this with the other message if that corresponds to the way your sound person triggers scene changes) and rely on this to trigger a message to your REAPER automation.

As to your application: Yes it looks complex but on the other hand if you want to transfer the recorded data into the cloud to manage/remix/whatever somewhere else (and I assume remotely), there's not many options. I agree with you transmission speed can be a pain. I haven't played with actions 41758/59 but they seem the right ones to export/import a marked region to a file.

Let me know if I can help,
Best regards,

-Patrick

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 2
Patrick-Gilles Maillot;137012 wrote:
Note that if you load the same scene, there will be no change to report, but you'll still get the two following OSC messages:
"/-undo/time~,s~~19:59:37~~~~"
"/-action/newscreen~~,i~~[ 0]"


I have never used ReaScript for anything, and quite frankly, I'm quite lost on it. Is it possible to write a script in lua or EEL to set a marker when the string "/newscreen" is received from a specific ip address? To further that, is it possible to query the name of the scene from the X32 and use that to set the name of the marker in Reaper?

If so, how do I get started with that?

If not, can AutoHotKey be programmed to do it?


With severe and excessive stumbling, I finally managed to use WireShark to sniff packets from our church's X32 this morning, and I can confirm that the what Patrick wrote is coming in during a scene change. But I'm completely lost on how to implement setting a marker in Reaper using that signal. I just don't know where to go to learn this. And I am just starting to use WireShark, so there's a severe learning curve on that one too. (Lions, tigers, and bytes??)

Many thanks to you all for getting me this far.
Scott

Re: Does the X32 output an OSC signal when a scene changes?

Contributor - Level 3
Hello,

More details on how to know what scene is being loaded.

One has to set the X32 in a mode where scene changes will be reported; this is set in the SETUP/Config screen, selecting Show Control->Scenes, or can be set using the OSC command: /-prefs/show_control: [CODE]/-prefs/show_control~~~~,i~~[ 1][/CODE]

Let's assume you have scene 1 and scene 2 available (already created) in your X32.
You will use either the X32 surface to navigate through the scenes, or use the /-action/goscene OSC command to request a scene to be loaded.

Scene loading can systematically ask for confirmation or not, depending on the Confirm Pop-Ups-> Scene Load parameter in the SETUP/Config screen, or using the /-prefs/confirm_sceneload OSC command.

Navigating and selecting scenes will then trigger the following:
On the X32 itself, scenes will be loaded and their respective parameters will become active. The X32 will send a set of data (OSC commands) at every scene change/load request:
[CODE]
/-undo/time~,s~~19:47:45~~~~ // setting an undo time
/-show/prepos/current~~~,i~~[ xyz] // loading scene xyz
[...] none or several OSC commands respective of
the actual changes from the current state to the new state
/-action/newscreen~~,i~~[ 0] // indicates screen up to date
[/CODE]

So, unlike what I wrote two posts ago, there's a way to know which scene has been loaded in the X32.

Hope this helps,
-Patrick
Conversation Stats
  • 27
  • Replies
  • 1048
  • Views
  • 0
  • Kudos Given
  • 4
  • Contributors