Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Downloadable "starter profile" for X32 Rack ???

We have purchased a X32 Rack unit and 7 x P16 monitors for use in our synagogue's new sound system - and we are very excited about our new Behringer equipment.

The company we purchased from promised us the units were "in stock" but it turns out that meant "in stock with their distributor in New York" and not at their warehouse here in Texas! Long story short: I expect to get the units next Thursday and have to have them installed and running for Shabbas services on Saturday! (Not to mention the rest of the audio system I'm personally installing this week.)

Here's my question: would it be possible for someone on the forum build me a complete "profile" (I don't know what else to call it) according to my specs (i.e. channel labels, input/output routing, basic effects and mic EQ settings, speaker crossover settings, etc.) that can be emailed to me, so I can save it to an USB and load it directly to the X32 Rack?

I completely realize the mic EQs and speaker crossovers would be shooting in the dark, but I'm hoping something is better than absolutely nothing.

Is this even possible???

Mordechai Lynam (Instructor & Worship Leader) Visit us online at MySarShalom.com
Tags (1)
KevinLynam Contributor - Level 2 2014-07-27

2014-07-27

Downloadable "starter profile" for X32 Rack ???

We have purchased a X32 Rack unit and 7 x P16 monitors for use in our synagogue's new sound system - and we are very excited about our new Behringer equipment.

The company we purchased from promised us the units were "in stock" but it turns out that meant "in stock with their distributor in New York" and not at their warehouse here in Texas! Long story short: I expect to get the units next Thursday and have to have them installed and running for Shabbas services on Saturday! (Not to mention the rest of the audio system I'm personally installing this week.)

Here's my question: would it be possible for someone on the forum build me a complete "profile" (I don't know what else to call it) according to my specs (i.e. channel labels, input/output routing, basic effects and mic EQ settings, speaker crossover settings, etc.) that can be emailed to me, so I can save it to an USB and load it directly to the X32 Rack?

I completely realize the mic EQs and speaker crossovers would be shooting in the dark, but I'm hoping something is better than absolutely nothing.

Is this even possible???

• 0 Kudos
  • 86 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Downloadable "starter profile" for X32 Rack ???

you can do it yourself in x edit

you should have been hammering on the software the minute
you knew you were getting the x

fwiw
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Kevin,

Yes of course it is possible. There are two approaches you can take. As Mike mentioned, you can download the free X32-Edit (for PC, linux or Mac) and start creating the basic scene for the default profile and we can help you get through the learning curve - or you can provide us with your details and we can create the scene for you. The latter may take as much effort as the former and won't help you learn how to create or modify further cues, scenes or snippets.

That said, getting it all ready for Saturday is definitely cutting it close - but is doable. As soon as you can, post your details (or PM me, whichever you are more comfortable with) and we'll do our best to help.

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

Certainly get practising with X-Edit. It will give you are real feel of how the X-32 operates in advance of receiving the actual hardware. I actually downloaded and played with X-Edit whilst I was still debating what digital desk to purchase. it certainly helped me decide that Behringer was the best route to go.
Super Contributor - Level 2

Kevin Lynam;28444 wrote:

Is this even possible???

I honestly think you may be asking for a ton of trouble and confusion to get your stuff on Thursday and expect to use it seamlessly Saturday. You could fool with X Edit all day for the next several days and still very easily make 1 wrong setting and end up in a gigantic "black hole" that will take a long while to dig out of. The P16's are fairly complicated, the Rack is at first, not that easily navigated-if you had previously used a full console, it would be easier. Can it be done, yes...but you may be bat poop crazy and sleepless in so doing. If someone else sends you settings, perhaps not right, and even if they are perfect, you, with no understanding of them could render with one button push, in the heat of the moment, the whole thing non functional. I would not rush it, your new things are going to be great, maybe not so great wthin 2 days. I admire your enthusiasm though and wish you good luck however you do it!
Contributor - Level 3

While agreeing with Gary here, there is definitely no reason why one of us can't program a setup for you, complete with some explanation.
Basically, if you have a clear idea of what you want, ie. a complete input and output list, an effects list and importantly; a reasonably detailed description of every input/output source/destination, it is possible to make up a file that will be close enough to only need some gain-, level- and eq-tweaks.

Example:
1. Bass-drum AKG D12 - "Room reverb"
2. Snare Shure SM57 - "Room reverb"
-
5. Bass DI-box
6. Guitar small amp with Shure SM57
7.-8. Stage piano
9. Male Vocal Shure SM58 - "Vocal plate"+"Cathedral"
10. Female Vocal Shure Beta 58 - "Vocal plate"+"Cathedral"
-
13. Choir AKG C1000 no battery - "Cathedral"
14. Choir AKG C1000 no battery - "Cathedral"
15. Choir AKG C1000 no battery - "Cathedral"
16. Choir AKG C1000 no battery - "Cathedral"

No monitors
Stereo Mains, "black box" installation
Volunteer Moderator

As you can see Kevin, there are many vewpoints on this topic. But let me give you my personal experience. I got permission from our church on Nov 22, 2012 to order the X32 console, 2 S16, 4 P16. They were ordered that night and were delivered to the US/Canada border on Saturday (24th). I picked up most of the order and processed it through customs that afternoon. Then I started working on an initial scene using the X32-Control (now called X32-Edit).

On Sunday afternoon (after our service), we pulled the Yamaha analog console and replaced it with the X32. Since the S16s were backordered, we used the existing analog snake. Preliminary testing showed that X32 console inputs and outputs were functioning, but needed a lot of tweaking. Further tweaking, testing and hardware installs during the evenings Mon - Fri gave us much confidence of being ready for Sunday (Dec 2). The Saturday before (Dec 1) we had a large (for our church) funeral with 400+ plus audio/video feed to the internet - and surprisingly everything works almost flawlessly.

On the Sunday morning (Dec 2), I spent about 20 minutes training the worship team on the P16s during their practice. The morning service went amazingly well. Granted there was still some tweaking to be done (in fact we are constantly tweaking). But everyone involved were amazed as to how well it went with such little time of transition.

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Wow - thanks to each of you for the honest and helpful responses!

mike horn;28451 wrote:
you can do it yourself in x edit

you should have been hammering on the software the minute
you knew you were getting the x

fwiw

Yep. I did download the software and I've been playing with it. I've been watching videos, reading the forum, and looking over the manual(s) for reference. However, I'm not an audio engineer and on even the most basic videos there is a lot involved that the presenter clearly understands, and seems to assume the viewer understands; but I do not. When I watch the videos, everything makes sense in terms of HOW to do things, but I don't understand the WHAT and WHY things are being done one way as opposed to anther way.

We are coming from a very basic analog mixer and audio snake. You plug in stuff from the stage, and plug in stuff going back to the stage, turn everything on, start bringing up faders, and roll a few dials to get things sounding as good as possbile. For us, moving to an X32 is like going from Pre-Algebra to Calculus. For instance, I have a concept of putting channels into groups, but don't understand matrixes and all the layering involved. So I'm still staring at a blank page (figuratively speaking) when looking at the X-Edit software. I've labeled my channels and a few other little things, but everything else is above my head.

Our sound guy is a young man in his 20's who works hard for a living. He understands all this stuff better than I do, and actually apprentices with a local studio from time to time. Between us we can figure out quite a bit; but we're still overwhelmed with most of the technology.

(It would also be very helpful if the XEdit software allowed the selection of the actual unit one is controlling, but that get's into UI / UX which is one of my career experiences - and I need to stay away from that right now - LOL)

Paul Vannatto;28453 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Yes of course it is possible. There are two approaches you can take. As Mike mentioned, you can download the free X32-Edit (for PC, linux or Mac) and start creating the basic scene for the default profile and we can help you get through the learning curve - or you can provide us with your details and we can create the scene for you. The latter may take as much effort as the former and won't help you learn how to create or modify further cues, scenes or snippets.

That said, getting it all ready for Saturday is definitely cutting it close - but is doable. As soon as you can, post your details (or PM me, whichever you are more comfortable with) and we'll do our best to help.

Paul

Agreed - we are cutting it close. Our ministry is moving into a facility as the current ministry is moving out - literally we are bringing in loads of stuff while they are hauling stuff away. One thing they are removing is the entire sound system; which was functional but not right for the space. So tonight (prayerfully) I start installing our new system, beginning with the speakers and amps. Tomorrow, I'll install all the wiring for the stage (mics and ethernet). By bedtime Wednesday, I hope to have everything setup and hooked up waiting for the X32 to arrive.

(FWIW:

Richard YClark;28473 wrote:
Certainly get practising with X-Edit. It will give you are real feel of how the X-32 operates in advance of receiving the actual hardware. I actually downloaded and played with X-Edit whilst I was still debating what digital desk to purchase. it certainly helped me decide that Behringer was the best route to go.

Yes indeed, completely agreed.

gary higgins;28485 wrote:
I honestly think you may be asking for a ton of trouble and confusion to get your stuff on Thursday and expect to use it seamlessly Saturday. You could fool with X Edit all day for the next several days and still very easily make 1 wrong setting and end up in a gigantic "black hole" that will take a long while to dig out of. The P16's are fairly complicated, the Rack is at first, not that easily navigated-if you had previously used a full console, it would be easier. Can it be done, yes...but you may be bat poop crazy and sleepless in so doing. If someone else sends you settings, perhaps not right, and even if they are perfect, you, with no understanding of them could render with one button push, in the heat of the moment, the whole thing non functional. I would not rush it, your new things are going to be great, maybe not so great wthin 2 days. I admire your enthusiasm though and wish you good luck however you do it!

I have every reason to believe you are correct - and I really do not want to rush things. Nonetheless we have to have service this coming Saturday. That's why - knowing what was coming - we bought a Yamaha 02R digital mixer as a backup, but I don't really understand how to use that unit either (just got a really good deal on it.) The sound guy and I are going to install it this week and he's going to figure it out (prayerfully) just in case the X32 proves to be too complex in the tight time frame we have.

Per Sovik;28487 wrote:
While agreeing with Gary here, there is definitely no reason why one of us can't program a setup for you, complete with some explanation.
Basically, if you have a clear idea of what you want, ie. a complete input and output list, an effects list and importantly; a reasonably detailed description of every input/output source/destination, it is possible to make up a file that will be close enough to only need some gain-, level- and eq-tweaks.

Example:
1. Bass-drum AKG D12 - "Room reverb"
2. Snare Shure SM57 - "Room reverb"
-
5. Bass DI-box
6. Guitar small amp with Shure SM57
7.-8. Stage piano
9. Male Vocal Shure SM58 - "Vocal plate"+"Cathedral"
10. Female Vocal Shure Beta 58 - "Vocal plate"+"Cathedral"
-
13. Choir AKG C1000 no battery - "Cathedral"
14. Choir AKG C1000 no battery - "Cathedral"
15. Choir AKG C1000 no battery - "Cathedral"
16. Choir AKG C1000 no battery - "Cathedral"

No monitors
Stereo Mains, "black box" installation

I can DEFINITELY provide all of the above, and I will do so ASAP today (though it may be later this afternoon as I'm wrapping up work.) However, we have a potpourri of mics and I really don't know all the models. I know there are some Senheiser vocal mics and some Shure wireless vocal mics - those all sound really clean. We also have one contryman for the speaker, and some Audix drum mics.

I'll do the best I can and we'll see where that gets us. If it doens't workout, it doesn't workout. No worries.

Paul Vannatto;28491 wrote:
As you can see Kevin, there are many vewpoints on this topic. But let me give you my personal experience. I got permission from our church on Nov 22, 2012 to order the X32 console, 2 S16, 4 P16. They were ordered that night and were delivered to the US/Canada border on Saturday (24th). I picked up most of the order and processed it through customs that afternoon. Then I started working on an initial scene using the X32-Control (now called X32-Edit).

On Sunday afternoon (after our service), we pulled the Yamaha analog console and replaced it with the X32. Since the S16s were backordered, we used the existing analog snake. Preliminary testing showed that X32 console inputs and outputs were functioning, but needed a lot of tweaking. Further tweaking, testing and hardware installs during the evenings Mon - Fri gave us much confidence of being ready for Sunday (Dec 2). The Saturday before (Dec 1) we had a large (for our church) funeral with 400+ plus audio/video feed to the internet - and surprisingly everything works almost flawlessly.

On the Sunday morning (Dec 2), I spent about 20 minutes training the worship team on the P16s during their practice. The morning service went amazingly well. Granted there was still some tweaking to be done (in fact we are constantly tweaking). But everyone involved were amazed as to how well it went with such little time of transition.

Paul

That's encouraging Paul, but I suspect you have a lot more advanced knowledge and experience to work with. Nonetheless, we shall put forth the setup and see what happens.
Mordechai Lynam (Instructor & Worship Leader) Visit us online at MySarShalom.com
Volunteer Moderator

Kevin Lynam;28497 wrote:
That's encouraging Paul, but I suspect you have a lot more advanced knowledge and experience to work with. Nonetheless, we shall put forth the setup and see what happens.

In actual fact Kevin, before the X32 arrived I had no experience with any digital console. That is the main reason I joined the forum here. We'll be your support and you'll be up and running in no time.

Paul
Contributor - Level 2

What about someone in your area that could lend a hand?
    Go to page