Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Enable wired ethernet connection in android app

I would very much like the android XAir app to able to connect to the XR18 via a wired ethernet connection.

Setup:
Android Tablet (Sony Xperia Z2 SGP511, Android 5.1.1, WiFi turned OFF) -> USB OTG Adapter (BobjGear) -> Ethernet Cable -> XR18 in "ethernet" mode

The ethernet connection via USB OTG adapter works for other routers (tested) and even the connection between tablet and XR18 actually seems to work (ethernet-icon shows up in android tablet, LED on XR18 indicates network activity).

The problem is the XAir app on android is seemingly not capable of using this connection. As soon as the app is started the - previously turned off - WiFi of the tablet is enabled by the app and the tablet starts searching for wireless networks. Seems the app just ignores the ethernet connection.

Other users had the same findings [URL="http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?7078-X-Air-for-Android-via-wired-ethernet"][1][/URL]. I would appreciate some insight from Music Group if - or more accurately when - you plan to add this functionality to the app.

--

For those interested:
My scenario is a small band, mostly for weddings, mixing from stage. Everybody uses tablets for setlists and lyrics anyway, so with the XR18 running as access-point they can mix their on monitors on the fly - just awesome functionality! However, I've had the problem of a failing WiFi connection on two gigs now, always when there is a lot of traffic in the air (as in people with wifi-phones at the venue). An external dual-band router would obviously solve this problem, but it doesn't make terribly much sense for us, as in 90% of situations the internal one runs just fine.
And of course I can always connect a PC/Mac to the unit for emergency wired control, but thats one more thing to carry and set up and less convenient to control compared to a touchscreen. Seems a probably rather simple adjustment of the app to be able to use the wired connection would grant an emergency-fallback while retaining the low profile setup which is one of the big strengths of the XR series.
ThomasHorn Contributor - Level 2 2016-07-17

2016-07-17

Enable wired ethernet connection in android app

I would very much like the android XAir app to able to connect to the XR18 via a wired ethernet connection.

Setup:
Android Tablet (Sony Xperia Z2 SGP511, Android 5.1.1, WiFi turned OFF) -> USB OTG Adapter (BobjGear) -> Ethernet Cable -> XR18 in "ethernet" mode

The ethernet connection via USB OTG adapter works for other routers (tested) and even the connection between tablet and XR18 actually seems to work (ethernet-icon shows up in android tablet, LED on XR18 indicates network activity).

The problem is the XAir app on android is seemingly not capable of using this connection. As soon as the app is started the - previously turned off - WiFi of the tablet is enabled by the app and the tablet starts searching for wireless networks. Seems the app just ignores the ethernet connection.

Other users had the same findings [URL="http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?7078-X-Air-for-Android-via-wired-ethernet"][1][/URL]. I would appreciate some insight from Music Group if - or more accurately when - you plan to add this functionality to the app.

--

For those interested:
My scenario is a small band, mostly for weddings, mixing from stage. Everybody uses tablets for setlists and lyrics anyway, so with the XR18 running as access-point they can mix their on monitors on the fly - just awesome functionality! However, I've had the problem of a failing WiFi connection on two gigs now, always when there is a lot of traffic in the air (as in people with wifi-phones at the venue). An external dual-band router would obviously solve this problem, but it doesn't make terribly much sense for us, as in 90% of situations the internal one runs just fine.
And of course I can always connect a PC/Mac to the unit for emergency wired control, but thats one more thing to carry and set up and less convenient to control compared to a touchscreen. Seems a probably rather simple adjustment of the app to be able to use the wired connection would grant an emergency-fallback while retaining the low profile setup which is one of the big strengths of the XR series.

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Enable wired ethernet connection in android app

I think it's already enabled the issues is not all android devices support Ethernet. The app doesn't know ware it gets it connection it could be wired or wireless but not all android versions and devices are capable of Ethernet.
Contributor - Level 3

The Ethernet, if available, may not work if Wifi is still available. So try turning on Aircraft mode to disable any wireless connectivity.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Gerald & Richard,

thanks for replying! You are right, ethernet actually is enabled, sorry for the false assumption

To clear it up:
Of course I tested my tablet's ability to use the wired ethernet connection on a simple router with internet access (successfully, as I'd like to add^^) and disabled the Wifi on my tablet to enforce the wired connection to the XR18. That, sadly, didn't work out of the box.

However, connecting both the XR18 and the tablet to an external router (both wired obviously) did the trick, I could connect to the mixer without a problem.

So what is preventing the two devices from talking to each other without a router in the middle? My first assuption would be the ethernet cable. I used a normal one, but maybe a crossover cable is needed.
The other possibility I can see are problems with DHCP. I am not sure if either of the units are capable of serving as a DHCP-server, so maybe assigning static IP addresses does the trick. Although I'm not sure how to do that on android...

I'll keep testing as soon as I get my hands on a crossover cable and post my findings here!

br,
Thomas
Contributor - Level 3

A cross over cable shouldn't be necessary. However it is likely that both the X18 and your tablet are trying to be DHCP servers by default. So you will probably have to go to the network settings on one or both to change one of them to be a client. But you would probably be safer manually assigning IP addresses to both units.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Richard,

it seems quite the opposite was the case: neither of them wanted to be a DHCP server. Set the XR18 to be server instead of client and it works like a charm.
Thank you very much for the help!
Contributor - Level 3

That makes sense. I knew it was one or the other. Smiley Wink