DeanAdams Contributor - Level 2 2015-05-27

2015-05-27

Feedback Suppressor Question(s)

I have a question. I have looked through the threads I can find on using feedback suppressors with X32 system and this scenario doesn't appear to be covered.

Up front I would offer that I do try to tune the room, but I do mobile work and almost every gig is different. So I am looking at adding some automatic feedback suppressors to my rig.

Rig is X32 compact > X32R/S16 stage box at the stage. All the I/O is via stage box.

My question is whether manual inserts of auto FBS like TN6232 or AFS2 at the X32C will work to control the signal chain to manage feedback when the I/O is remote from the stage box? Anybody tried this scenario.

Thanks in advance!
Dean

• 0 Kudos
  • 24 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Feedback Suppressor Question(s)

Scott Bolt;66041 wrote:
How would setup keep you from feeding back when the singer is standing in front of the speakers instead of behind the speakers?

Sure if the singer needs much gain and stands directly in front of the speakers you will get problems.
I just wonder how anyone, who makes music can go in front of a blasting speaker by purpose.
But maybe the bands I'm working with are more professional than I'm aware of.
Contributor - Level 2

Well, for a start, if I have the time before the gig starts, I always ring the singer`s mic with the pa through an alternative eq which I keep it bypassed until someone decides to make some movement in front of the pa and I usually (if it's someone new to me) have a small chat with it and inform it of how about not doing some of the stupid stuff, sticking the mic into the speakers being one between others. If I don`t have that time, I just keep the geq very close. My type of mixing already has some of the feedback issue covered, proper gains, rarely boosting, always cutting with moderate compression to none. Sometimes I end up tuning the pa on the fly and it doesn`t bother me, as I can hear the problems with the actual band playing on stage.
Having said that, I still don`t understand how a mic being hyper/super cardioid can help you with this matter... just different tools for different jobs.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

There are many things singers do that could trigger feedback, pointing the mic at the speakers is just the most common. My pet hate is those who grasp the mic around the windshield/basket blocking the rear of the capsule and negating all the development work the designer put into perfecting the polar patten. The result of this trick is to turn your expensive cardioid or super cardioid into an omni with all the attendant problems that creates.

I quite like super cardioids for singers in loud bands (I usually use Beta 57/58s where the presence peak at around 2.5kHz helps cut through the mix) but they are much less forgiving of sloppy mic technique and a simple cardioid is better for a mobile singer. My preferred mics for most singers is SE-H1, cardioid, very smooth and sweet sounding without the 'presence peak' of the Shure Betas et al. If I could afford Neumann KLMs they would also do in a pinch
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Feedback suppressor

If Behringer want to help us with feedback then give us the automixer to deal with the panelists who mumble and whisper into a mic they have pushed three feet away so they can look at their iPads.
Mick Berg
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Mick Berg;66164 wrote:
If Behringer want to help us with feedback then give us the automixer to deal with the panelists who mumble and whisper into a mic they have pushed three feet away so they can look at their iPads.
Mick Berg

Yeah, don'tya just hate it when that happens (then the guy next to him will pick the mike up and bellow into it from 3" away)