Highlighted

Firmware 2.14 problems

Contributor - Level 2
Good Day,

I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Our church purchased 3 X32's for three different congregations a few months ago. For some reason the X32 lost some of it's settings so the sound wasn't to satisfaction. I recently initialised the console, loaded firmware 2.14 and set-up the console at home using X32 Edit. I successfully sync'd the Laptop & Console and uploaded the scene. However, the following problems were encountered:
1. Could not use mute groups (doesn't work).
2. Could not get sufficient gain on monitors (too soft)
3. vocal mics seemed to randomly fade in and out (goes softer & louder).

Some advice would be appreciated.

Ps. I'm still trying to figure out if there is a problem with routing (or does 2.14 have bugs)?
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Firmware 2.14 problems

Volunteer Moderator
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I have firmware 2.14 on our church X32 and my X32 Racks and can say that this update is rock solid (for the most part). What you are reporting are not firmware issues. What I would suggest is that you attach your scene to your next post (below post window, Upload Attachments, Manage Attachments, Choose File, Upload *you may need to increase the width of the popup screen)) and we'll have a look at it. What app are you using and what OS?
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

X32 Firmware 2.14

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Paul,

Your response is appreciated. I'm new to this forum so I'll try to attach a scene I save yesterday (14 Feb).

Re: Firmware 2.14 problems

Contributor - Level 3
David Sampson;69764 wrote:
Thanks Paul,

Your response is appreciated. I'm new to this forum so I'll try to attach a scene I save yesterday (14 Feb).


I don’t know if some of your setup is intentional or mistakes. But if you aren’t doing some weird things intentionally they would definitely cause some confusion in the operation of the mixer. Maybe not causing your problems. I would be glade to point these things out if you want me to. But I don’t see why exactly you would be having the problems that you are having.

Setting up the mute groups requires specific steps and catches me occasionally. On the console press the “MUTE GRP” button next to the screen, it will light and stay lit, then hold down the number Mute Group button that you want to assign channels to, while holding it down press “Sel” on the channels to assign them the “Sel” on each channel will light and stay lit until you let go of the numbered Mute Group. Now press the “MUTE GRP” button next to the screen, the light will turn off. Now try using the mute groups. There are also settings to change the behavior of how the mutes work. They are in the “SETUP” page “config” tab under Mute System. I prefer to have it set for “Hard Mutes” and I usually like to have the “DCA Groups” enabled, but I can see times you might not want that behavior.

The gain on monitors issue, is it that they just aren’t loud enough or are they not loud enough before they feedback or do you call it howl around there? You say you have 3 X32 mixers are they being used hooked up to each other in the same system or are they used in different rooms or buildings. Are you using a separate stage box or boxes? Based on what I am seeing of your scene there is some piece of information you are leaving out.

As far as your vocals fading in and out I see nothing in the scene that would cause that. But your lead vocal is muted to the Mix Bus 4 your Monitor 4 send. And as I said you have some weird partial multiple routing that doesn’t make sense to me.

To Paul this shouldn't be in the announcements section can you move it to where it should be.

Re: Firmware 2.14 problems

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks Kevin for pointing that out. I've moved it to the X32 Troubleshooting section.

David, the announcement sections is restricted to Music Group announcements only. The problem is that when approving new posts, I don't always catch where it is posted to (and cannot change it until after it is approved).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Re: Firmware 2.14 problems

Contributor - Level 3
Paul Vannatto;69787 wrote:
Thanks Kevin for pointing that out. I've moved it to the X32 Troubleshooting section.

David, the announcement sections is restricted to Music Group announcements only. The problem is that when approving new posts, I don't always catch where it is posted to (and cannot change it until after it is approved).


Thank you Paul. I assume the OP can find it here since there is a link to here from the announcements section. I reread the line I meant for you Paul and I then realized it sounded like an order and I meant it to be a request. Thank you for your help Paul.

David, I started to make all of the changes I thought should be made (and I was then going to send it to you to have a look at) and then I realized that I didn’t understand how you intend to have some things setup. Are Mix Bus 9/10 supposed to be a mix that goes to FOH L/R or are they a mix for a drummers monitor? If you provide more information I can help you more.

Set-up Problems

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Paul & Kevin,

Thanks for your responses, some of the set-up is probably unintentional, I'm new to the digital world and was doing quite nicely with the analogue set-up. I am using one X32 FOH linked to 2 S16's on the stage via cat 5 cable.

One of the guys on our team was mixing a few weeks ago and somehow lost the main L/R fader and that's when our problem began. Never having enough time to sort out the problems at church I then downloaded X32 Edit and set-up the scene at home (using an on-line tutorial). The tutorial routed channels>groups>stereo groups>matrix 1&2 (FOH L & R)>main L/R (something like that).

When I loaded the console from my laptop back at church all kinds of weird things were happening and I had to revert to an old scene I saved previously, which allowed me to get through the service.

Sunday past (14th) I decided to initialise the console and set-up manually, however, while playing music, I again lost the use of the faders (aux 5/6 where music is played through) and main L/R. Service was due to start in 20 minutes so I again loaded a previous scene and managed to get through the service.

The following problems came up:

1. Faders on FOH and monitors had no effect
2. Could not get enough power (FOH & monitors were audible but soft)
3. Right side channel (FOH) appeared to be louder than left side

The mix bus 9 & 10 was set-up by one of the other sound guys to route to the subs, I did not realise that it was still set-up as such ( I routed 13 & 14 for the subs). So that's something I will change.

I managed to figure out the mute groups, the scary thing for me was at rehearsal I looked at the console and all input channels were muted ( I swear I did not mute them).

I'm hoping I can get things as it should be in time for Sunday's service so I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards

David

Is it necessary to route to stereo groups and to matrices as per the tutorial?
Console appears to lose it's settings

Re: Firmware 2.14 problems

Contributor - Level 3
David Sampson;69971 wrote:
Hi Paul & Kevin,

Thanks for your responses, some of the set-up is probably unintentional, I'm new to the digital world and was doing quite nicely with the analogue set-up. I am using one X32 FOH linked to 2 S16's on the stage via cat 5 cable.

One of the guys on our team was mixing a few weeks ago and somehow lost the main L/R fader and that's when our problem began. Never having enough time to sort out the problems at church I then downloaded X32 Edit and set-up the scene at home (using an on-line tutorial). The tutorial routed channels>groups>stereo groups>matrix 1&2 (FOH L & R)>main L/R (something like that).

When I loaded the console from my laptop back at church all kinds of weird things were happening and I had to revert to an old scene I saved previously, which allowed me to get through the service.

Sunday past (14th) I decided to initialise the console and set-up manually, however, while playing music, I again lost the use of the faders (aux 5/6 where music is played through) and main L/R. Service was due to start in 20 minutes so I again loaded a previous scene and managed to get through the service.

The following problems came up:

1. Faders on FOH and monitors had no effect
2. Could not get enough power (FOH & monitors were audible but soft)
3. Right side channel (FOH) appeared to be louder than left side

The mix bus 9 & 10 was set-up by one of the other sound guys to route to the subs, I did not realise that it was still set-up as such ( I routed 13 & 14 for the subs). So that's something I will change.

I managed to figure out the mute groups, the scary thing for me was at rehearsal I looked at the console and all input channels were muted ( I swear I did not mute them).

I'm hoping I can get things as it should be in time for Sunday's service so I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards

David

Is it necessary to route to stereo groups and to matrices as per the tutorial?
Console appears to lose it's settings



You are (I Think) 7 hrs ahead of me and that makes going back and forth with just a little bit of information each post very hard. If you can write up exactly what you want to happen how you want it to work I will edit your scene to work as close as I can get it to what you want. Your outputs are coming from the Matrix outs and that is fine. Are you using 4 monitor mixes or are there any more. What is channel 15 beltpack is that a wireless mic used for speaking? Do you have your heart set on the L/R being your master fader? How would you feel about using DCA8 as the overall system master? And it appears that you have left and right subs, there is no reason for subs to be stereo I would feed them both the same signal and feed them by way of a mix bus and only route things like the Kick and the Bass and playback thru them. Do you want me to work off of the scene that you already posted and I downloaded or do you want to attach a different one? I would also reload the firmware update to make sure that there isn’t anything wrong there.

When you say that the console appears to lose its settings do you mean all of its settings or just some things? Do you know what things are lost? If you are talking about the mains level when you turn on the console you have it set to turn them down on startup. Setup/config/General prefs/Safe Mains Levels.

I am going to be working on a rebuild in a recording studio today so I won’t be able to do anything till later today (my time, east coast USA) just so you know.

Re: Firmware 2.14 problems

Contributor - Level 2
David Sampson;69971 wrote:
Hi Paul & Kevin,

Thanks for your responses, some of the set-up is probably unintentional, I'm new to the digital world and was doing quite nicely with the analogue set-up. I am using one X32 FOH linked to 2 S16's on the stage via cat 5 cable.

One of the guys on our team was mixing a few weeks ago and somehow lost the main L/R fader and that's when our problem began. Never having enough time to sort out the problems at church I then downloaded X32 Edit and set-up the scene at home (using an on-line tutorial). The tutorial routed channels>groups>stereo groups>matrix 1&2 (FOH L & R)>main L/R (something like that).

When I loaded the console from my laptop back at church all kinds of weird things were happening and I had to revert to an old scene I saved previously, which allowed me to get through the service.

Sunday past (14th) I decided to initialise the console and set-up manually, however, while playing music, I again lost the use of the faders (aux 5/6 where music is played through) and main L/R. Service was due to start in 20 minutes so I again loaded a previous scene and managed to get through the service.

The following problems came up:

1. Faders on FOH and monitors had no effect
2. Could not get enough power (FOH & monitors were audible but soft)
3. Right side channel (FOH) appeared to be louder than left side

The mix bus 9 & 10 was set-up by one of the other sound guys to route to the subs, I did not realise that it was still set-up as such ( I routed 13 & 14 for the subs). So that's something I will change.

I managed to figure out the mute groups, the scary thing for me was at rehearsal I looked at the console and all input channels were muted ( I swear I did not mute them).

I'm hoping I can get things as it should be in time for Sunday's service so I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards

David

Is it necessary to route to stereo groups and to matrices as per the tutorial?
Console appears to lose it's settings


To reply to just your last question, no it is not necessary to use such convoluted routing. I route all my channels to the main L/R. I then route anything needed in the subs to the mono bus. I then send main L/R to a linked matrix pair and the mono bus to another matrix. Then these three matrixes get routed to outputs.

My initial guess about problem 1, faders having no effect would be not having the tap point on the out1-16 menu set to "post fader". This is not setting the bus to be a post fader bus, but is sending to the outputs after the bus master fader.

Set up & Routing

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Kevin,
My set-up is as follows:

X32 FOH linked to 2 S16's via Cat 5

We are currently using 4 on-stage monitors (at times 5 mons

Basic Input list:
6 background vox mics
1 lead vox mic
1 acoustic guitar (DI)
Keyboard 1 (DI)
Keyboard 2 (DI)
acoustic drum kit (sometimes electronic kit)
Bass guitar

The "beltpack" is the Shure wireless earpiece mic used for preaching and talking

Using DCA8 as system master will be fine. I also agree with your proposed set-up for the subs.

The settings lost is probably due to incorrect set-up and routing so I would not focus attention on that for now and will re-load the firmware as you suggested.

I sincerely appreciate your time and attention Kevin