MartinCerny Contributor - Level 2 2015-07-21

2015-07-21

GEQ/TWQ copy-paste issue

XR18, X-Air edit on PC and iPad app, last versions of software & firmware. I just set my first monitor EQ and wanted to copy it to the other monitors (three wedges, same kind). Cannot copy and paste GEQ or TEQ on bus channels. It can only copy the PEQ. Weird... Couldn't save GEQ/TEQ as EQ preset either... It only works with parametric EQ. What kind of sorcery is that???

• 0 Kudos
  • 17 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: GEQ/TWQ copy-paste issue

Great if it does work. I'll do some playing when I get home as well.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

My bad, my question was initially about the fact that X-Edit right now doesn't save any GEQ settings and I was trying to figure out how I would reverse engineer a chn file to make sense of all of the 0.0, 0.0's together... but then i realized that each 0.0 is just a plus or minus value (the gain) that corresponds to each frequency. I was thinking in PEQ mode where the line has to specify freq, curve, and gain.. but the GEQ would just be the gain since each frequency is a fader on the EQ...

So i tested it with a few numbers and it worked.

/eq ON GEQ
geq 0.0 +2.0 -3.0 +1.40 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 +4.0

this was a .chn file that I loaded from the LR GEQ screen.
Volunteer Moderator

Yes that is correct Rob. The first 31 are float (real) values for each of the GEQ bands and the last one is the gain. So are you saying that this works as a .chn preset?
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Hmm.. This brings up something that I'm going to test when I'm able to connect to my XR. As far as the MAIN LR and BUS go, is the active EQ determined by which tab you have clicked? PEQ/GEQ/TEQ? becuase even tho the GEQ and TEQ seems to be sharing settings (if you change a fader in the GEQ the same change will reflect in the TEQ) the PEQ can be completely different. So does selecting PEQ/GEQ/TEQ verticle tabs change the active EQ for that BUS? And if so, how do you make that selection via .chn file?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

yes it seems to work.. I saved the above contents in a .chn and loaded it from the BUS1 GEQ tab and the faders on the GEQ moved.

The first 0.0 is the 20hz and the last is the 20k fader which moved up 4.0db, it doesn't seem to be gain... I only count 31 sets of 0.0. And now I'm cross-eyed. Smiley Happy
Volunteer Moderator

Well I'll be! You are correct, Rob - learn something new everyday. Those bus EQ's are missing the last fader (Master). If you add a GEQ (or TEQ) to one of the Fx slots, it is there like on the X32. Good to know. I was planning on eventually adding the Copy EQ routine (that is included in the X32 Live Toolbox) to the X-Air Live Toolbox. This would make it much easier to copy EQ settings from one place to another.
Triber Moderator

I just set my first monitor EQ and wanted to copy it to the other monitors (three wedges, same kind). Cannot copy and paste GEQ or TEQ on bus channels. It can only copy the PEQ. Weird... Couldn't save GEQ/TEQ as EQ preset either... It only works with parametric EQ.

Dear All,

I just now tested this myself with an XR18 and an XR12 and can confirm this is also happening over here. It appears that this is indeed a bug in the X AIR EDIT software, I'll let our developers know so that it can be addressed/fixed in the next release.
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Fixed in the recent iOS update, thank you! It solved my monitor EQ problem, that's great, but now I'm faced another - I can't recall my EQ presets from one show to another on the iPad. So I still have to ring the same monitors and club main EQ with every stored band show from different venues... Please, look at it and it will be perfect I really like my XR18 and it could work faster without those newborn troubles.