Contributor - Level 2

Gain Reduction Meter Issue on Android software

Liking my XR18 but I think thre is an issue with the last Android update 1.5.2 with the gain reduction meters on the fader. I'm finding this pretty handy, but these GR meters seem to react even with no dynamics on the channel ? At the last gig I was looking for more vocal (I am a solo act) and as I was pushing the vocal fader up I swear I saw the GR meter push back further.

I have done some analysis on this. I applied a 250Hz tone to a chnnel with no dynamics. (Actually Input 1 - I have it patch to 15). No Dynamics. The video fist shows th esignal at full strenght and no reaction form the GR portion. I then reduce the signal (externally) and bring it back up, again with no reaction from the GR meter, With the meter showing full signal, I bring up th efadrers (at 12 second mark) As I pass the 20 db mark the GR meter start to kick back and " flicker" with more GR showing as the fader travels closer t the top. I then remove the input signal (turned it down externally) and repeat the fader test - no GR movement. I then brought the signal level to -10. This time I get the GR movement to a lesser degree. When I backed input signal to about -25 the effect was there but much less. Looks like crosstalk to me. Either way, it seems that this renders the GR indicators pretty much useless unless input levels are kept at < -20db. Methinks this is a bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEsqgC87EfY

Cheers
Grif
SteveGriffiths Contributor - Level 2 2016-03-19

2016-03-19

Gain Reduction Meter Issue on Android software

Liking my XR18 but I think thre is an issue with the last Android update 1.5.2 with the gain reduction meters on the fader. I'm finding this pretty handy, but these GR meters seem to react even with no dynamics on the channel ? At the last gig I was looking for more vocal (I am a solo act) and as I was pushing the vocal fader up I swear I saw the GR meter push back further.

I have done some analysis on this. I applied a 250Hz tone to a chnnel with no dynamics. (Actually Input 1 - I have it patch to 15). No Dynamics. The video fist shows th esignal at full strenght and no reaction form the GR portion. I then reduce the signal (externally) and bring it back up, again with no reaction from the GR meter, With the meter showing full signal, I bring up th efadrers (at 12 second mark) As I pass the 20 db mark the GR meter start to kick back and " flicker" with more GR showing as the fader travels closer t the top. I then remove the input signal (turned it down externally) and repeat the fader test - no GR movement. I then brought the signal level to -10. This time I get the GR movement to a lesser degree. When I backed input signal to about -25 the effect was there but much less. Looks like crosstalk to me. Either way, it seems that this renders the GR indicators pretty much useless unless input levels are kept at < -20db. Methinks this is a bug.

Cheers
Grif

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Gain Reduction Meter Issue on Android software

Steve Griffiths;72710 wrote:

Cheers
Grif

To me that looks like automixing GR. Do you have the auto mixer engaged at all?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Abraham Ray;72711 wrote:
To me that looks like automixing GR. Do you have the auto mixer engaged at all?

I took another look to be sure, both autiomix and dynamics are not in use for the test.

Cheers

Grif
Contributor - Level 2

I've noticed this same issue. After a recent update to the X Air Android software, I suddenly had red gain reduction meters active on every channel. I don't have the gate, dynamics, or Automix turned on, so I don't understand why these gain reduction meters are even being displayed. I too have found that in some cases, the gain reduction meter will "jump" a bit when the channel level is pushed, even though nothing should be happening, since none of the functions that should use the GR meters are enabled.
Contributor - Level 2

I'm pleased to report that the latest firmware update (version 1.12 ) fixed this problem for me.
Contributor - Level 2

Jon Goad;74949 wrote:
I'm pleased to report that the latest firmware update (version 1.12 ) fixed this problem for me.

Good find - worked for me too. Now if the developers could use that top section of the meter strip to show gain reduction that would be excellent. We know it exists already on the meter page, so the source is there already. See that a comp is being hit or that a gate is too tight / not closing is really handy. Doesn't have to be super accurate either - just a hint. I'm sure that auto -mix is a useful tool, but i can't help feeling that the largest segment of users are in sound reinforcement i.e. sound for bands.

Cheers

Grif
Contributor - Level 2

Jon Goad;74949 wrote:

It would seem that a firmware re-installation is an effective fix for all sorts of random and inexplicable issues. Last week my XR12 stopped processing a low impedance input signal through channel 12, being the right side of a stereo linked input. One moment the meter was bouncing away happily the next moment it just stopped, never to work again under any circumstances of checking and fiddling with settings. Bizarrely a high impedance guitar input worked! A firmware re-installation fixed that problem and it works fine now.