Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Help me understand the differences in FX banks. Why the 1-4 and 5-8 not the same?

Contributor - Level 2
I've spent a couple of weeks trying to get immersed in the M32 and I'm finding the FX section really confusing and limiting. I've read the manual and watched some of the limited video content online but the FX set up on the M32 is not intuitive to me and it appears to be very limiting (from what my minds eye thinks should be possible to route).

Could you guys explain the FX groupings of 1-4 and the 5-8, why they are not the same and what scenarios differentiate which one you would use when?

Thanks.
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Help me understand the differences in FX banks. Why the 1-4 and 5-8 not the same?

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Waldy,

The first 4 Fx slots are used with effects that are DSP intensive and can be set as inserts or side chain (bus fed). The last 4 Fx slots are used with effects that are less DSP intensive and can be used as inserts only. The reason for this is due to the limited capacity of the DSP engine in the X32/M32.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Re: Help me understand the differences in FX banks. Why the 1-4 and 5-8 not the same?

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Paul,

Appreciate the explanation. It sure would be nice to have the stereo combinator available in FX5-8 since it is mostly an insert effect and then it would free up another side chain effect slot.

Waldy

Contributor - Level 3
Waldy Duester;158711 wrote:
Thanks Paul,

Appreciate the explanation. It sure would be nice to have the stereo combinator available in FX5-8 since it is mostly an insert effect and then it would free up another side chain effect slot.

Waldy

FX1-4 can be inserted, (as Paul said) I do it all the time. The top selection in the pull down menu is insert. Then go to the channel or bus that you want to insert it on and select that FX slot. Be sure to turn the channel insert selector on. Play with it and see if this helps you.

Contributor - Level 2
Kevin Maxwell;158716 wrote:
FX1-4 can be inserted, (as Paul said) I do it all the time. The top selection in the pull down menu is insert. Then go to the channel or bus that you want to insert it on and select that FX slot. Be sure to turn the channel insert selector on. Play with it and see if this helps you.

Thanks Kevin. I guess my 'rolling eyes' comment wasn't quite clear.

I do have a stereo combimator inserted in my FX4 slot. I was just, tongue in cheek, commenting that it feels like I'm burning up a side chain FX slot for a pure "insert' effect (which is what the combinator is). It would have made sense to have the combinator in slots FX5-8 rather than FX1-4.

I'll just live with it.

You guys have been really helpful. Thanks.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors