Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

How can I apply a 31 band EQ and a De-esser FX to a single channel?

Contributor - Level 2
I was working with a lecture speaker this past weekend. He was wearing a headworn mic and, in preparation for the event, I 'rung out' this microphone in the auditorium using a 31 band EQ inserted into his channel from FX5. So far, so good. Was able to pick up some gain and tame the mic for the space.

The gig starts and there's a lot of energy in his 'esses'. I try to incorporate a de-esser effect into the channel and the M32 drops out my 31 band EQ. Huh?
Seems like I can only insert a single effect in a channel?

It was really frustrating because the channel compressor has no options for choosing a frequency range to compress. In previous systems, I've created a sort of de-esser by applying a compressor to the 6-8k frequency band only. This is not available in the M32.

How can I insert the de-esser and the 31 band EQ into a single channel?
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6

Re: How can I apply a 31 band EQ and a De-esser FX to a single channel?

Volunteer Moderator
Waldy Duester;158705 wrote:
The gig starts and there's a lot of energy in his 'esses'. I try to incorporate a de-esser effect into the channel and the M32 drops out my 31 band EQ. Huh?
Seems like I can only insert a single effect in a channel?

That is correct - only one insert per channel signal path. Our pastor also needs the de-esser. But we use the parametric EQ (part of each of the channel strip processing) to EQ. Since I've learned to correctly use parametric EQ, I rarely use 31 band graphic EQ anymore.

It was really frustrating because the channel compressor has no options for choosing a frequency range to compress. In previous systems, I've created a sort of de-esser by applying a compressor to the 6-8k frequency band only. This is not available in the M32.

That is not correct. To the right (on the Dyn screen) is the side chain feature of each compressor. Set the Type (width) and Frequency, then engage it.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Paul for the info on the side chain compressor.
I'll give that a go this week and see how it performs. I'm still getting my head wrapped around the M32 signal chain (the block diagram in the manual has a few black holes that are not explained well).

Contributor - Level 3
Waldy Duester;158710 wrote:
Thanks Paul for the info on the side chain compressor.
I'll give that a go this week and see how it performs. I'm still getting my head wrapped around the M32 signal chain (the block diagram in the manual has a few black holes that are not explained well).

You can assign that channel to a Mix Bus and insert the De-esser on the Mix Bus. Be sure to unassign that channel from the L/R (if that is where you take your house send) and then assign that Mix Bus to the L/R or the Matrix if that is were you send you main house output from.

Contributor - Level 2
Kevin Maxwell;158715 wrote:
You can assign that channel to a Mix Bus and insert the De-esser on the Mix Bus. Be sure to unassign that channel from the L/R (if that is where you take your house send) and then assign that Mix Bus to the L/R or the Matrix if that is were you send you main house output from.

Thanks Kevin. I may explore that if I need to. I'll try Paul's info on the channel compressor first. If I don't achieve satisfactory results, I'll explore the Mix Bus solution.

Contributor - Level 2
I typically run a mono speech bus with an EQ curve (graphic or parametric, depending on the gig) that applies to all the headset mics.

That frees up the channel insert for de-ess. Sure would be nice to see a simple two or three band dynamic EQ option on the M/X32 consoles.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks for the idea Philip.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors