Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

How to Connect via Ethernet for RTP Midi??

I want to try using RTP Midi on a Mac Mini. I've read any available documentation, am running firmware v1.15, but nothing works. The X-Touch isn't connecting to my Mac via Ethernet (display continues to show "waiting...") and the Network midi section of Audio Midi Setup doesn't show the X-Touch. I must be missing something obvious.

Can I cable directly between the X-Touch and the Mac, or is a router required? If I can connect directly, do I use a standard ethernet cable, or a crossover cable? Further, which X-Touch mode should I use? DCHP On? DCHP Off? Slave Mode? Master Mode? Which is best?
Tags (1)
JohnBaker Contributor - Level 2 05-05-2016

05-05-2016

How to Connect via Ethernet for RTP Midi??

I want to try using RTP Midi on a Mac Mini. I've read any available documentation, am running firmware v1.15, but nothing works. The X-Touch isn't connecting to my Mac via Ethernet (display continues to show "waiting...") and the Network midi section of Audio Midi Setup doesn't show the X-Touch. I must be missing something obvious.

Can I cable directly between the X-Touch and the Mac, or is a router required? If I can connect directly, do I use a standard ethernet cable, or a crossover cable? Further, which X-Touch mode should I use? DCHP On? DCHP Off? Slave Mode? Master Mode? Which is best?

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: How to Connect via Ethernet for RTP Midi??

OK, here's the way I finally got it working. So far so good, and it allowed me to avoid using USB (already have enough of those on my hub!) or two MIDI cables (so 21st Century), and use an Ethernet cable instead for MIDI connect. There are probably easier and more sane ways. But I'm crazy and difficult.

1) connect X-Touch to Mac direct with standard Ethernet cable. I used a nice turquoise one.
2) on X-Touch, select network option by holding Select on channel 1 while powering up. Select Network Mode, Role Master (use default port #).
3) Open the Mac's System Preferences: Sharing
- highlight the Internet Sharing selection on left (without clicking the box)
- select the interface option on right to share (in my case, wireless, since I want that to remain on
- on the To computer using, select Ethernet
- select "Internet Sharing" check box and click Start
4) X-Touch should get IP address and start up normally (without waiting...)
5) In Audio Midi Setup, go into the MIDI Window, then the Network setup area. Start a Session. (Be sure "Who can connect to me" is set for "Anyone"). If all is well and you are connected, X-TOUCH should appear as a selectable Participant. (You can't proceed unless you have X-Touch listed.) Also, make sure you have no selections for "Live Routings."
6) In Logic setup for Control Surface (or whatever your DAW is), be sure to select Output and Input Ports as the Session you enabled within Audio Midi Setup (default is Network Session 1).
Contributor - Level 2

John Baker;75595 wrote:
I used a nice turquoise one

That's the key factor - it probably won't work with any other colour!
Contributor - Level 2

The blue ones make you larger, and the red ones make you small.