Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Importing M32R FX into DAW for Mixing ?

Contributor - Level 2
Can somebody explain Step by Step exactly how to do this inclusive with I/O config for the DAW ? It Will be Most Appreciated.

My audio tracks in the DAW will likely not be recorded via the M32R, although that is an option considering the pres offer an additional flavor. Rather, I want to utilize the M32r and it's FX as a source, for its variety of FX and essentially act as a patchbay for a variety of quality Analog outboard, which i STILL use.

I might add, I'm pretty much console illiterate since I've never had one as part of my studio, preferring to record through whatever outboard I chose to chain together. While I completely appreciate the technology in front of me, it's routing/setup is most confusing.

From what I can tell it seems one is not able to bring in both banks of FX (1/4, 5/8) the same way. Almost thought I had it figured out. That was until I couldn't hear anything from the fruits of my labor .. Ha! .. Hard to believe I've gone this long w/o some sort of console. So I guess it's baptism by fire Smiley Tongue

Started to do this over a year ago but life got in the way .. long story.
Thanx for the help in advance Smiley Happy
Tags (2)
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Importing M32R FX into DAW for Mixing ?

Super Contributor - Level 1
Kyle, I am unsure as to how you are connected to the mixer if using another DAW interface and not the mixer's usb card? It seems like from your post this would be more of an issue for how the other interface can send/return signals...but maybe I (perhaps others as well) misunderstand what you are really asking.

Contributor - Level 2
Gary Higgins;159469 wrote:
Kyle, I am unsure as to how you are connected to the mixer if using another DAW interface and not the mixer's usb card? It seems like from your post this would be more of an issue for how the other interface can send/return signals...but maybe I (perhaps others as well) misunderstand what you are really asking.

Hi Gary,

Ahhh ... Guess I didn't clarify completely
The M32r is most definitely connected via the USB card providing 32 ch I/O .. DN32USB etc. There is another interface for the DAW that shows up under an aggregate pass thru (Premiere Pro) so that I see both. Console is presently set up for Card I/O only.

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy

? ! ? ! ?

Contributor - Level 2
Can't believe i stumped everybody here Smiley Surprised
Nobody has an idea how to bring 1-4 FX into
A DAW ??

That 'aggregate pass thru' bit made me a tad shySmiley Wink Don't know how it may apply to this routing. Anyway a way to do it (without aggregate) is use the ultranet assignments in the card out routing instead of "local". This allows 2 things. 1) allows a tap point beyond the input/lc position for a card source and 2) allows you to select direct outs of the fx returns as card signals. So first go to your ultranet menu and define each ch as you like, for this example say, set p16 ch 1-8 as direct outs, post eq, of fx 1L,1R, 2L,2R, 3L, 3R, 4L and 4R. Then in your card out menu set card out 1-8 to ultranet 1-8. That should send the FX return ch's to your first 8 daw ch's. You can also use your output 1-16 menu and do the same-this would allow 16 more card ch's with the same direct out options (the same tap point and source out options).

Contributor - Level 2
Gary Higgins;159601 wrote:
That 'aggregate pass thru' bit made me a tad shySmiley Wink Don't know how it may apply to this routing. Anyway a way to do it (without aggregate) is use the ultranet assignments in the card out routing instead of "local". This allows 2 things. 1) allows a tap point beyond the input/lc position for a card source and 2) allows you to select direct outs of the fx returns as card signals. So first go to your ultranet menu and define each ch as you like, for this example say, set p16 ch 1-8 as direct outs, post eq, of fx 1L,1R, 2L,2R, 3L, 3R, 4L and 4R. Then in your card out menu set card out 1-8 to ultranet 1-8. That should send the FX return ch's to your first 8 daw ch's. You can also use your output 1-16 menu and do the same-this would allow 16 more card ch's with the same direct out options (the same tap point and source out options).

No problem .. the aggregate is quite handy actually. It just applies to the stereo bus and allows monitors to go through either the M32r or my Benchmark DAC which i completely trust for Mixing Smiley Very Happy

Anyway ... your solution certainly sounds logical. I don't know how much of a difference this makes but it doesn't allow you to place it at "Post EQ" Closest you can get to that is Pre Fader.

Regardless, when I pull up a Bus 1/2 (only Bus's available) ... I see no signal hitting the FX assigned, say Slot 1 L/R. I've placed the Bus in a Send, Ch out or Ch in .. to no avail.

Dunno

[LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
Kyle Ober;159700 wrote:
it doesn't allow you to place it at "Post EQ" Closest you can get to that is Pre Fader.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Look again at Out 1-16 and Ultranet out, you can choose post eq. post eq+M, pre fader or prefader+M for each ch there

"Regardless, when I pull up a Bus 1/2 (only Bus's available) ... I see no signal hitting the FX assigned, say Slot 1 L/R. I've placed the Bus in a Send, Ch out or Ch in .. to no avail."

You do have to send whatever ch's TO the desired FX first and return them to the desired bus. You can't send a bus to an FX.

[/LEFT]

Contributor - Level 2
Gary Higgins;159702 wrote:
[LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]

Look again at Out 1-16 and Ultranet out, you can choose post eq. post eq+M, pre fader or prefader+M for each ch there

You do have to send whatever ch's TO the desired FX first and return them to the desired bus. You can't send a bus to an FX.

[/LEFT]

As you can see by the images attached, both OUT 1-16 and Ultranet out ... simply won't let me go to "Post EQ .. at least not on the M32r Smiley Sad The highlighted position is the first one it allows me to activate .. Prefdr .. Can only upload 3 images here it seems but I have a 4th reflecting the same thing as Pic 2 for the Ultranet.

So far it's set up to bring in Outboard on the Aux's > Dir Out 1-6 and FX5-8 on channels 9-16 . I'm assuming I can still use 1-8 channels via the methods you are speaking of. Please mention exactly how it sets up on the DAW faders I/O Sends/Insert etc .. as I'm still a neophyte as far as Console routing for setup/layout is concerned.

One bright note .. I did inadvertently in my head banging attempts Smiley Tongue manage to hear the 1-4 FX on the Aux channels as it came into the DAW. Combined with my outboard it was pretty satisfying. But I do want to be able to run it independent of the AUX .. I hope ... so that i can run those imported FX across the DAW channels if I wish.

Your input appreciated and I apologize for my Greenness Smiley Surprised

Contributor - Level 2
Fader setup

You should upload your scene file. Instructions here It's sort of hard to follow exactly what you are trying to do. You may have your channel sends tap set to 'changes affect all channels'. Also ch sends to buses are in pairs. Anyway it will be easier to get the whole picture if your scene is available, also easier for other eyes to view besides mine....
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors