Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Inconsistency in X-Edit? or am I misunderstanding the intended use?

Hey Guys,

Searched for this on the forums but couldn't find anything about it.

Noticed something in X-Edit (Windows) in the Save/Load function.

When Saving:

You are presented with different options depending on what tab you have active. Click Save on the Channel Tab and you have to the option to Save Channel Preset, Click Save on Input, Gate, EQ etc tabs and you are given the option to save a Input, Gate, or EQ preset...

However the Load function only gives you the option to Load Channel Preset and not Tab specfic Presets.. For example, if I go to the EQ tab, I can't load a EQ only preset.. I can only load an entire Channel preset.

Is this an inconsistency, or are we expected to do all our specific saving with X-Edit and all our specific loading with the Android/Ipad App.. Because the Android app DOES have the option to load specific "tab" presets.

I guess I could edit saved channel presets to only have EQ or Comp or Gate etc settings and then name them accordingly and then load them as a channel preset in X-Edit.. but thought I would ask about the intended use first.

Thank you.
RobJohnson Contributor - Level 2 2015-06-23

2015-06-23

Inconsistency in X-Edit? or am I misunderstanding the intended use?

Hey Guys,

Searched for this on the forums but couldn't find anything about it.

Noticed something in X-Edit (Windows) in the Save/Load function.

When Saving:

You are presented with different options depending on what tab you have active. Click Save on the Channel Tab and you have to the option to Save Channel Preset, Click Save on Input, Gate, EQ etc tabs and you are given the option to save a Input, Gate, or EQ preset...

However the Load function only gives you the option to Load Channel Preset and not Tab specfic Presets.. For example, if I go to the EQ tab, I can't load a EQ only preset.. I can only load an entire Channel preset.

Is this an inconsistency, or are we expected to do all our specific saving with X-Edit and all our specific loading with the Android/Ipad App.. Because the Android app DOES have the option to load specific "tab" presets.

I guess I could edit saved channel presets to only have EQ or Comp or Gate etc settings and then name them accordingly and then load them as a channel preset in X-Edit.. but thought I would ask about the intended use first.

Thank you.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Inconsistency in X-Edit? or am I misunderstanding the intended use?

It's a little misleading perhaps but the behaviour is correct.

When you save an eq or gate etc it saves with a .chn extension so the resulting file is a channel preset - but it only contains the information relating to the tab you are on e.g. eq.

When loaded that information will be applied to the channel selected at that time regardless of the tab you are on. So if you are on Channel 2 and its gate tab, but you load an EQ saved from Channel 1 - Channel 2 will have that EQ applied.

The trick is to name the files to be as descriptive as possible about their contents so you know what you're loading.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Dave Meadowcroft;52699 wrote:
It's a little misleading perhaps but the behaviour is correct.

When you save an eq or gate etc it saves with a .chn extension so the resulting file is a channel preset - but it only contains the information relating to the tab you are on e.g. eq.

When loaded that information will be applied to the channel selected at that time regardless of the tab you are on. So if you are on Channel 2 and its gate tab, but you load an EQ saved from Channel 1 - Channel 2 will have that EQ applied.

The trick is to name the files to be as descriptive as possible about their contents so you know what you're loading.

So then when a .chn file is missing info for any specific tab, the result for that tab is no change and not clearing the current settings, correct?

This is very cool, I'm all about being able to edit "config" files and organizing them to my needs. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Exactly Smiley Happy It's the most flexible alternative as you can build your own custom channel file, for example containing gate and compressor or even just elements such as attack times, and nothing else on the channel will be affected!