Rock Star - Level 1

Instructions to connect XR18 as wifi client A to Z

Please share your successful instructions only! A complete blow by blow, please leave out NO DETAILS. This needs to be put to bed!
GaryHiggins Rock Star - Level 1 2015-03-09

2015-03-09

Instructions to connect XR18 as wifi client A to Z

Please share your successful instructions only! A complete blow by blow, please leave out NO DETAILS. This needs to be put to bed!

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

Re: Instructions to connect XR18 as wifi client A to Z

Connecting the XR18 to PC via WiFi Client mode. My steps for a successful connection were:

I had my XR set to "Access Point" to start with, LEAVE IT THERE for now, this seemes to work best (it's what I did anyway)

Connect your WiFi router to the XR with a Cat5/6 from one of the multiple ports, probably yellow (but NOT the single colored one for connecting to a Cable router) to the XR's "REMOTE" port.

On your PC point your mouse at the Wireless icon, bottom right on your taskbar and left click it, it will show a list of available WiFi networks.
If no wireless icon, wherever it is on your PC that shows a list of available WiFi networks is where you need to be.
You should see the router that you connected the XR to in that list, select it by left clicking again and click once more on connect.
It may take a few seconds to connect. Verify your PC is connected by hoovering your mouse pointer over your wireless icon, it should show you are
connected, it will probably say no internet access and thats ok.
Make sure you are connected to your wireless router before moving on!

NOW switch the XR into "WiFi ClIENT" mode (middle position)

Open the XAir edit app on your PC.
Hit setup top left corner, open the WLAN tab
At the bottom of the WLAN screen select DHCP (easiest)
At the top under SECURITY type in the ROUTER's name (NOT the XR!) in the SSID box
At the top under SECURITY select the type of setup your router ALREADY HAS ENABLED. In my case I already had WPA2 enabled, select whatever that is on YOUR ROUTER.
Another box will drop down for anything other than 'open', it will say "key" type in your ROUTERS security password here.
Hit apply, upper right hand side.
Go from the WLAN tab to the 'Connect' tab
You should now see your XR's name and IP in the left hand window, if not already highlighted, select it and it will be highlighted.
Click on connect, upper right side. You will then get the 'From Console to PC' or 'PC to console' message choice, select either and it will load and you should be in business!

I think a common issue here in WiFi CLIENT mode is the tendency to think you are setting up The XR's hardware when in fact the only part that really is XR18 hardware is the switch setting to get to that mode. The rest of the settings are almost, if not entirely related to what is ALREADY set up on your router.
What's notably different from ACCESS POINT mode is the open and WEP settings ARE essentially for the XR18 hardware router there, not so for Wifi CLIENT mode.
If you want tighter security or hidden SSID, that should all be setup on your ROUTER BEFORE you even start the XR setup.
I struggled mightily with this where I've had 100% success with the exact same router and my X32 over the last few years. it's easy to get lost! Take your time and it will be just fine! I will try a MAC next.
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

The above worked for my MacBook air as well!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

gary higgins;42927 wrote:
The above worked for my MacBook air as well!

I like your breakdown better.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Network Wifi-client setup is broken from X Air Android App

Running XR12 with 1.12 firmware. Android Tablet with X Air app 1.5.2

Setup, Network, WiFi-Client SSID ...

After setting SSID and "apply" - it doesn't "take" so you're stuck. You cannot reconfig the wifi client mode from the Android App. If you disconnect and go back in you will see a blank SSID.

Very frustrating.

IT does work as expected from XAir-Edit for Windows/PC.

SO if you are on the road, with just your X Air mixer and android devices you are SOL if you need to re-configure the XR to operate as a wifi client on a local wifi.
Highlighted
Triber Moderator

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Marc. I just tested this myself and can also verify it on XR18 as well as XR12. I'll be sure to pass this along to RnD so they are aware of it.
Michael Lapke
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

This was a good post but it leaves out an important part: even with DHCP selected, XAIR18 won't pull the default gateway. 

To find this, connect a laptop to the wireless router and open command prompt. Type ipconfig, hit enter. You'll see something like this under your wireless adapter:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.159
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Even though DHCP provides the default gateway, it's clear that XAIR is not fully able to utilize DHCP in wifi client mode. It will pull an IP from the router but it won't pull the gateway. So take note of your default gateway on the wireless router you intend to use, and type it in to the gateway section, which is defaulted to: 0.0.0.0

If you want to confirm connectivity between the tablet/phone, laptop, and XAIR, you can use the same command prompt to ping each device's IP. The ping should look something like this:

C:\Users\stati>ping 192.168.0.159

Pinging 192.168.0.159 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.159: bytes=32 time=359ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.159: bytes=32 time=158ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.159: bytes=32 time=289ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.159: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=64

if it returns anything else then your devices aren't able to communicate with one another.

We also found that having the ethernet cable connected between the router and XAIR prevented communication when in wifi client mode. If we plug in the cable, wifi client mode stops working even if the cable is removed. To fix this you can flip the switch to either ethernet or access point and back to wifi client mode. Then the XAIR should rejoin the network and your XAIR mobile app can find it.

the other annoying thing is that the mobile and desktop apps will drop the connection from the mixer every 5 minutes. this happens in a house where there is no wifi interference, no mass blocking the wifi signal. We still constantly have to reconnect to the mixer.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

The only thing missing from your instructions is to enter the default gateway. The XAIR should pull this from DHCP but didn't for us.

Also, don't connect the ethernet cable to the modem. This didn't work for us at all and in fact broke the connection when we got it working. You can use either ethernet or AP mode with a laptop to set up the wifi as in your post, but don't connect the router to the mixer via ethernet as everything will immediately quit working.

If you're not sure what your default gateway is, connect a laptop to the wireless router you intend to use and open a command prompt. type ipconfig and hit enter. You'll get something like this:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.159
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

When using DHCP on the mixer you'll leave the ip address alone, and manually enter the subnet mask and default gateway. I attached a screenshot of what this looks like for us.

My roommate insists that DHCP stands for Dead Hot Chili Peppers. Although I know better, I'm inclined to concur.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

ok I thought I lost that first post - whatever. consider it a series. Smiley Happy