Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Linking two X32's with an S16

Hi everyone! So I have a question about linking two X32's together while still having a S16. My school has a X32 in a booth that is located upstairs in the auditorium. We are now going to purchase a X32 compact as part of our portable PA system but if I wanted to use the compact downstairs to run FOH because upstairs is not the ideal place to run it how would I do that? I have been watching videos on how to link 2 X32's but nothing including it with a S16. So my X32 that is in the upper booth has 2 cat5 cables that go to the S16 down on the stage. How the cat5 cables are installed are not easy to move if I needed to bring those downstairs so how would I be able to do this with my S16 cat5 cable send upstairs and also try to link a compact downstairs? Would this be possible?

Thank you,
Philip Franzone
Tags (1)
PhilipFranzone Contributor - Level 2 2017-01-24

2017-01-24

Linking two X32's with an S16

Hi everyone! So I have a question about linking two X32's together while still having a S16. My school has a X32 in a booth that is located upstairs in the auditorium. We are now going to purchase a X32 compact as part of our portable PA system but if I wanted to use the compact downstairs to run FOH because upstairs is not the ideal place to run it how would I do that? I have been watching videos on how to link 2 X32's but nothing including it with a S16. So my X32 that is in the upper booth has 2 cat5 cables that go to the S16 down on the stage. How the cat5 cables are installed are not easy to move if I needed to bring those downstairs so how would I be able to do this with my S16 cat5 cable send upstairs and also try to link a compact downstairs? Would this be possible?

Thank you,
Philip Franzone

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 2

Re: Linking two X32's with an S16

If I understand the issue, I think you may need to re rout the Cat5's so that one runs from UP to the new X32 downstairs and then from there to the S16. Not sure why they would have 2 up there now except for redundancy in case one breaks. You will not be able to run from the S16 B port to the downstairs mixer, due to an internal ch shift on the S16, it has to go X32 to X32 and then go into the A port of the S16.
Thanks for the Accepted Solutions and Kudos! Always appreciated IF duly earned.
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Philip,

If what you are describing is true
So my X32 that is in the upper booth has 2 cat5 cables that go to the S16 down on the stage.
someone has connected the X32 to the S16 incorrectly. There should only be one AES50 (ethernet-like) cable connecting the X32 to the A port of the S16.

Next you will need to look at the Routing, home screen to determine whether it is setup to receive the S16 inputs from the AES50 A or B port. If one of the input banks is assigned to something like AES50 A1-8, then disconnect the existing cable from the B port. You will now connect another AES50 cable (which should be a shielded STP ethernet cable with ethercon ends) to that empty port and to the X32 Compact downstairs (eg. to the AES50 A port).

If the above is correct, go back into the X32 upstairs in the Routing, AES50-b screen and assign the following:
* Outputs 1-8 -> AES50 A1-8
* Outputs 9-16 -> AES50 A9-16
This transfers the S16 inputs through the upstairs X32 to the X32 Compact downstairs
Now on the Routing, AES50-a screen, assign the following:
* Outputs 1-8 -> AES50 B1-8
This will transfer the X32 Compact outputs through the X32 upstairs to the S16 outputs

On the X32 Compact, connect the AES50 cable to the A port and assign the following:
Routing, home
* Inputs 1-8 -> AES50 A1-8
* Inputs 9-16 -> AES50 9-16
Routing, AES50-a
* Outputs 1-8 -> Out 1-8
Routing, Out 1-16
* Output 1 -> Mixbus 01
* Output 2 -> Mixbus 02
* Output 6 -> Mixbus 06
* Output 7 -> Main L
* Output 8 -> Main R
This latter routing may have to change, depending on your requirements.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Can you send all the channels out of the A to a x32 rack and 16  channels out of Bt S16?  Or do you have to send out of the A to the s16 and then on to the x32 rack?