Highlighted

Low Volume out of Monitors

Contributor - Level 2

Hello again,

I've been using a behringer XR16 for the past year and absolutely love it.  However, I recently bought a Kustom 12" monitor for our drummer and the volume is really low on it.  I have to crank the volume knob all the way on the monitior and the master bus slider on the mixer just so we can barely hear it.  If I Use the Kustom monitor as a PA speaker its plently loud.  My sends are set to Post EQ and the in/out is set to Post Fader.  Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

The current set up is two Behringer 12" active PA speakers, 3 Sennheiser E835 mics and three Kustom monitors, one acoustic/electric guitar and a Taylor T5z Hybrid guitar.

I tried to upload the scene but I keep getting an error saying that the file extension doesn't amtch the file.

Thanks in advance.

Willie

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Low Volume out of Monitors

Super Contributor - Level 2

If the monitor works OK from the main LR outputs but not from an Aux, there are two possibilities:

It's a cable issue. How are you connecting from the Aux outputs to the monitor? Did you use the same cables to run the monitor from Main LR?

It's a configuration problem. You can post your scene file if you zip it first.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Rex,

I connect all my monitors using XLR cables.

Thanks for filling me in on how to upload a scene.  I've added my scene to the orginal post.

Thanks,

Willie

Is your problem with Bus 4 (Skip)? I can't see anything obvious in your scene that would make Aux 4 output much lower than Main LR. There is some makeup gain in the vocal channels that the Post EQ tap will lack but I wouldn't expect that to cause a big drop. Does it make any difference if you plug the monitor on a different Bus/Aux?

Which model Kustom monitor are you using? I can't find much in the way of specs online to check the input sensitivity. Even if the sensitivity is low, it should be the same for both Aux and main LR outputs.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Rex,

The monitor I'm having a problem with is a Kustom KCP12MP.  I have two smaller Kustom KPX110PM that are on Bus 1 & 2.  I have no problem getting plenty of sound out of them.

I feel kind of dumb because I haven't tried the one I'm having an issue with on another bus.  lol

I will do that tomorrow and see if it's a mixer issue, I hope it isn't!

Thanks for the input, it's very appreciated.

Take care,

Willie

All I can glean about the Kustom KPC12MP online is that it has a balanced line-level input via XLR. If it works OK on the main LR outputs there cannot be much wrong with it. That leaves the mixer outputs and cables as suspects.

Swapping your monitors, cables and Aux outputs around should help isolate the offender.