Highlighted

M32 and DL251 intermittent audio loss

Contributor - Level 2
Having a problem with our Midas M32 Mixer and DL251 Stagebox (connected via AES50 and Ethercon Cat5). Occasionally during a show, the DL251 will stop processing audio for 6-8 seconds (making the FOH and anything connected to the DL251 go quiet). The audio will then return. During this audio loss, the M32 meters are working AND a monitor we have patched direct to the M32 continues to process audio (no loss on this monitor). During a 6 hour show, this may happen once or twice. Very frustrating and we cannot replicate it to diagnose. When we connect our Pro2 to the DL251… no issues…. Ever. Wondering if the M32 and the DL251 have a known issue? We have tried multiple ethercon cables between the M32 and DL251 without success in clearing problem. Any ideas? Anyone else experience the issue?

Midas M32 - Firmware 3.08
DL251 set to 48Khz and external clock, patched at AES50 Port A from M32 (port A)
11 REPLIES 11

Re: M32 and DL251 intermittent audio loss

Contributor - Level 2
UPDATE: I S/W Music Group Support last night. They mentioned that there is a slight possibility that the AES50 A Port on the M32 may be failing. They asked me to try the B Port and bench test it to see if I get same results. I'll do this next week and reply here with findings.

Music Group Support also mentioned that the DL251 and the M32 were not necessarily designed for each other. Which.... doesn't make sense as (to my understanding) the DL251 was in the marketplace before the DL16 and DL32 stage boxes. I'm gonna dig a little further.

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any on-hand experience with the DL251. But I've been around here to remember the at-length and numerous discussions with Midas as to how to get the DL251 and the DL151 to work with the X32 (before the M32 came out).

These stageboxes were indeed designed for the Midas pro series of consoles which have a very different architecture than the X32. And it took a couple of firmware updates to get them to work with the X32. That all happened around 4 years ago IIRC. One thing you could check is that the DL251 has the latest firmware (don't remember off-hand what version that is).

The X32 and M32 are identical in architecture and DSP engine. What differs is the Midas touch, including the Midas pro preamps, outputs, faders and their "Rolls Royce" bling.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Paul Vannatto;155123 wrote:
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any on-hand experience with the DL251. But I've been around here to remember the at-length and numerous discussions with Midas as to how to get the DL251 and the DL151 to work with the X32 (before the M32 came out).

These stageboxes were indeed designed for the Midas pro series of consoles which have a very different architecture than the X32. And it took a couple of firmware updates to get them to work with the X32. That all happened around 4 years ago IIRC. One thing you could check is that the DL251 has the latest firmware (don't remember off-hand what version that is).

The X32 and M32 are identical in architecture and DSP engine. What differs is the Midas touch, including the Midas pro preamps, outputs, faders and their "Rolls Royce" bling.

Thanks, Paul! I am going to do some more digging and testing and reply to this forum with findings.

Same issue

Contributor - Level 2
Hi, Matt.

Do you have any update on this issue? We are experiencing the same problem. My configuration is nearly same as yours except that our snakebox is DL32.

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Jungsuk,

Welcome to the forum. The DL32 was designed for the use with the M32, which is actually not the same with the DL251. If you are having dropout issues, there is a good chance there is an AES50 cable issue. What are you using for your AES50 cable?

Contributor - Level 2
Hi, Paul.

Thanks for warm welcome and advice Smiley Very Happy.

We are using Cat5e cable. This system is for our church. It's been 7 months since new installation and there was no problem until last week. Starting from last Sunday, this audio loss started. We didn't change anything in ethernet connection except for mic/instrument connections to DL32.

Maybe I have to double check the cables whether there were any loose connections.

Super Contributor - Level 2
Also there is a newer firmware, I believe 1.7, no other detailed release notes that I could find. Performance improvements could I guess include some bug fixes. I can say I have done this update with my DL32 and do not have the issue...but I also never had it before. I would also strongly agree with Paul and check your cables!

"The firmware update 1.7 for DL32 adds performance improvements and new features to the I/O box operating system. This new version improves AES3 (AES/EBU) status bits, adds MIDI remote control of head amps and prevents clicks when using the Mute All Outputs function with very high subsequent gain."

Volunteer Moderator
Jungsuk Goo;156849 wrote:
We are using Cat5e cable. This system is for our church. It's been 7 months since new installation and there was no problem until last week. Starting from last Sunday, this audio loss started. We didn't change anything in ethernet connection except for mic/instrument connections to DL32.

Is the cat5e cable shielded (STP) or unshielded (UTP) and do you have ethercon ends on both end of the cable? Is there continuity between ethercon shells? The reason I ask these questions is that it sounds like you are experiencing ESD (electro static discharge) related drop-outs on the AES50 cable. It has been proven to us many years ago that it is critical to use STP (shielded) cat5e/cat6/cat7 cable with ethercon ends (with continuity between ends) in order to protect the signal from ESD.

Contributor - Level 2
Hi, Garry.

Thanks for information. I re-tightened the cable connections. Let me see if the issue comes back or not.

Hi, Paul.

I believe ours is STP but we don't have ethercon. If the issue keeps coming back, we will to consider it. Thanks for helpful suggestions of checking points!