Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

M32 compatible with DBX ?

HI I'm new to this so bear with me! I'm considering replacing our analogue Beheringer 24 ch mixer with a M32. We have a DBX260pa in the system now. Should I leave it in or can the M32 do all the work of the DBX?. We like the DBX feedback control. Or we could move it & the analogue mixer to our youth hall. I've been studying your online lessons vs. the Allen & Heath digital. I'm an experienced FOH engineer (over 60 years) but have mostly volunteer help, I have little experience with digital but this one seems like it would be a smooth transition for me & my crew. Thanks for any input!
Tags (1)
VernonCotten Contributor - Level 1 2015-02-16

2015-02-16

M32 compatible with DBX ?

HI I'm new to this so bear with me! I'm considering replacing our analogue Beheringer 24 ch mixer with a M32. We have a DBX260pa in the system now. Should I leave it in or can the M32 do all the work of the DBX?. We like the DBX feedback control. Or we could move it & the analogue mixer to our youth hall. I've been studying your online lessons vs. the Allen & Heath digital. I'm an experienced FOH engineer (over 60 years) but have mostly volunteer help, I have little experience with digital but this one seems like it would be a smooth transition for me & my crew. Thanks for any input!

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: M32 compatible with DBX ?

Hi Vernon,

Welcome to the forum. I can't speak from experience using the M32, but from using the X32. Since both use the same engine, I think you will find a similar experience in transitioning from your current analog system to the M32.

Just over 2 years ago, our church made the transition from our analog system to the X32/S16/P16 setup. Since I only had years of experience with analog systems, I expected a steep learning curve along with frustration and resistance from all. To my surprise, we were up and running within a week and everyone (including one of the drummers who hates change) caught on quickly and loved the new system. Unlike Lot's wife, we've never looked back. I trust the experience with the M32 will be no different.

One thing that significantly helped me in learning the X32 and digital world was the time I spent here on the forum participating and asking lots of questions.

Your question regarding the dbx unit is a very good one. There has been some discussion in the past whether to keep the dbx to manage the speakers with mixed opinions. For years I've used the Behringer Feedback Destroyers to control feedback from the monitors (on my personal analog system). When I switched over to a dual X32 Rack setup, I kept them with the monitor amps, simply because I felt comfortable with them. About 6 months ago, I finally felt confident enough with my ability to properly EQ the monitors with the built-in parametric EQ's that I removed those Feedback Destroyers. I have no regrets and don't miss them at all. So I would suggest you transition in a way you feel comfortable. There is no reason not to do the transition in phases.

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks Paul for the fast reply. I think I'll stay with the DBX for awhile as I will be learning digital and I know you are just a few clicks away. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
Vernon.
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Vernon - I'm a more recent convert (unlike Paul our resident guru!) who 3 months ago moved from an A&H GL2400 using a dbx Driverack to the M32 using London Sound BSS. If it were me, I'd experiment to see if you could take the dbx out of the signal path. The M32 has some fairly advanced crossover and filtering - I've even thought of removing our BSS box but it was installed by our integrator and I've just not had time. Funny you mention your youth - our students now own our old A&H and the dbx.

If you choose to leave it in, you may want to run the dbx analyzer again as the M32 undoubtedly has a different sound profile than your current desk. The M32 does not have automated feedback control like the dbx, but you could certainly set up the eq and dynamics to match.
Contributor - Level 2

Our venues use the X32 in conjunction with the DriveRack 260 and it works well for us. There's still a lot that the DriveRack will do that the console will not. Of course, if we upgrade to an entirely active (powered) system, we'll dump the 260.
Contributor - Level 2

Sean,
Getting rid of the BSS Soundweb London (if properly designed, configured, & deployed) would be a HUGE mistake!

Tony Martin

Sean Kent;40561 wrote:
Hey Vernon - I'm a more recent convert (unlike Paul our resident guru!) who 3 months ago moved from an A&H GL2400 using a dbx Driverack to the M32 using London Sound BSS. If it were me, I'd experiment to see if you could take the dbx out of the signal path. The M32 has some fairly advanced crossover and filtering - I've even thought of removing our BSS box but it was installed by our integrator and I've just not had time. Funny you mention your youth - our students now own our old A&H and the dbx.

If you choose to leave it in, you may want to run the dbx analyzer again as the M32 undoubtedly has a different sound profile than your current desk. The M32 does not have automated feedback control like the dbx, but you could certainly set up the eq and dynamics to match.
Contributor - Level 2

i think that you'll find that you can do what you need with the M32 and could get rid of the 260, but I wouldn't do both right away. Get used to the M32 and where things are placed and ease into the transition. One thing you may consider is whether or not you ever have to have guest engineers that will need to load a file on to the desk. They may have their file set-up in a such a way that works for them and not your hybrid console/crossover situation.
Kip Conner - Yacht Rock Revue FOH / Production Mgr
Super Contributor - Level 2

For the time being, leave the dbx. Once everyone is comfortable with it, and the naysayers agree that the console was a good purchase, pull the dbx and see what you can accomplish with the features in the console.
Indianapolis, IN