Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

MR-18 with external preamp

Hello,

For recording sessions, I need to use Neve 1073 preamp. If I want to use it with MR-18, what is the best way ? Mic input or line input at unity gain ?

I know the line inputs don't have preamp circuitry but I don't know technical specs (converters ? level ?)..

Someone can help ?

Thank you.
Tags (1)
aaxsplash Contributor - Level 2 2017-05-26

2017-05-26

MR-18 with external preamp

Hello,

For recording sessions, I need to use Neve 1073 preamp. If I want to use it with MR-18, what is the best way ? Mic input or line input at unity gain ?

I know the line inputs don't have preamp circuitry but I don't know technical specs (converters ? level ?)..

Someone can help ?

Thank you.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: MR-18 with external preamp

Neve makes a good pre, but I would like to hear the difference between the Neve and the XL4 based pre found in the MR18. Some people have used XL4s for live recordings in the past with superb results. I guess you could compare the two and see what sounds better to you (since psychoacoustics vary from person to person).

If you need to run an external pre, just plug it into the XLR and run it line level (0dB trim).
Contributor - Level 2

Ryan Hammond;124739 wrote:
Neve makes a good pre, but I think the jury is out as to whether it's better than the XL4 based pre found in the MR18.

If you need to run an external pre, just plug it into the XLR and run it line level (0dB trim).

Yup... Line level that puppy and yes the on board Midas are real nice but a Neve is the Bomb! its about the sound that you get from it ... I love the older Never a lot... I'd love a box of 8 Neve 1073 with a MR box! you could get the smaller M$ 12 and use TRS to Line in and have 4 Midas preamps and 8 Neve... Killer set up!!!!
I'd list my gear here but they only allow 200 characters... I have MIDA/AVID/BEHRINGER/PRESONUS/SOUNDCRAFT consoles and Meyer/QSC/Mackie Speakers and tons of gear.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for your answers.
Is anyone in technical staff to tell us which circuits is used for each type of inputs ?