Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

MR18 Vocal Groups, Busses and Sub Groups

Contributor - Level 2
Hello. I'm making my transition from analog mixing to digital mixing with my Midas MR18. I am having difficulty in one area. I'm the drummer in a 5 piece band and I do all mixing with in-ear monitoring. I need help with my vocal channels, you see I really like to hear the exact vocal mix in my ears that the audience hears, so with my analog mixer I simply put all 5 vocals, with EQ and Effects, into Subgroup 1, then patch externally from Subgroup 1 OUT back into any vacant channel (1/4" patch cable) naming it VOCAL MIX. On the VOCAL MIX channel, I leave the fader down and adjust all vocals in the monitor mixes with the monitor pots. In my ears, I can toggle between the MAIN mix out to check the entire bands mix out to the audience, and the mix I use while singing, which is the VOCAL MIX set higher and the rest of the band set lower. Can someone please help me accomplish this with the MR18? Thanks.
Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4

Re: MR18 Vocal Groups, Busses and Sub Groups

Super Contributor - Level 1
Although I guess you could go out externally from a bus back into an input, I don't think you need to do so to get the results you desire in the MR18. You can send every ch to a particular bus (or linked buses) at different tap points for each ch. Make sure the global ch send option is set to "Changes affect selected chn"-NOT "Changes affect all channels". If your in ear was set for a connection to bus 1 for instance, you can send all the vocal ch's as a subgroup to bus 1 and each additional ch at whatever other tap point desired. Or another example, all vocal ch's post fader to bus 1, all drums as pre eq to bus 1, keys post eq to bus 1, gtr pre fader, you get the idea-mix and match. Hope that was what you were asking. Alternatively you could listen via the headphone jack and use setup/monitor drop down options, to select (your bus) bus 1, then toggle back and forth to main L/R if needed as a referance.

Contributor - Level 2
Thank you Gary, I’ll give that a try. It’s just difficult switching my brain from analog mixers to digital. I’m watching all the tutorial videos that I can, but I’m still struggling with busses.
Is there a way to send a DCA group to a bus? Example: send DCA 1 to Bus 6?

Contributor - Level 2
Scott Alexander;158743 wrote:
Is there a way to send a DCA group to a bus? Example: send DCA 1 to Bus 6?

DCAs are just like analog VCAs; they aren’t a signal path and therefore can’t be “routed” anywhere. They are simply a control mechanism for the faders assigned to that DCA/VCA. For example if you assign 14 channels to a DCA, you could think of it as having 14 fingers adjusting those faders all at once.

Whereas routing channels to a bus actually mixes those channels together where you can do additional processing on the group as a whole.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Philip. I’m starting to see the whole picture now; Sub Groups and Buses.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors