Contributor - Level 2

Midas M32 - Configure mixbus for pre fader, pre eq, pre dynamics

I read through the manual but there was not a clear explanation on how to do this:

How do I setup my console so my mix bus 1 - 10 are all pre (pre-fader, pre-eq, pre dynamics).

There is a config section in the "setup" with a "Bus Pre-configuration" where I can select 10+0+6 but the 10 are set for post eq and the 6 are set for post fader. I need this for monitor sends. I will be inserting graphic EQ's from the effects section into mixbus 1-6

Under "Routing, Out 1-16" There are many Tap options (IN/LC, IN/LC + M, PreEQ, PreEQ+M, PostEQ, PostEQ+M, PreFdr, PreFdr+M, Post Fader. Not sure what these are for. Is the "M" mute?
WayneLe Contributor - Level 2 2016-04-05

2016-04-05

Midas M32 - Configure mixbus for pre fader, pre eq, pre dynamics

I read through the manual but there was not a clear explanation on how to do this:

How do I setup my console so my mix bus 1 - 10 are all pre (pre-fader, pre-eq, pre dynamics).

There is a config section in the "setup" with a "Bus Pre-configuration" where I can select 10+0+6 but the 10 are set for post eq and the 6 are set for post fader. I need this for monitor sends. I will be inserting graphic EQ's from the effects section into mixbus 1-6

Under "Routing, Out 1-16" There are many Tap options (IN/LC, IN/LC + M, PreEQ, PreEQ+M, PostEQ, PostEQ+M, PreFdr, PreFdr+M, Post Fader. Not sure what these are for. Is the "M" mute?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Midas M32 - Configure mixbus for pre fader, pre eq, pre dynamics

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the forum. On the Setup, config, Bus Pre-Configuration, you can set the default channel bus sends defaults. Typically it is set on the first one (sends 1-8 as prefader, 9-16 as post fader). Then you can go to each of the channel's sends screen (Home, sends) and set the sends just below the faders). Options are Input/LC, PreEQ, PostEQ, PreFader, PostFader, Sub Group, in channel pairs.

For typical monitor mixes I would suggest you set them as PreEQ or PostEQ.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

As Paul said, select a mixbus, go to the config tab, 3rd encoder to set the tap points for all the channel sends to mixbus, if you want it pre-fader, pre eq and pre-dyn you need to select either the pre-eq or In\LC tap points. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the mixbuses. Once set you can change individual tap points on individual channels by selecting a channel and going to the sends tab.

Re the routing>out1-16 tab:

With the m32\x32 platform, you don't just route a signal\bus to an output. You need to tell the mixer at what tap point in the bus the output should tap the signal. When routing the monitor mixes to outputs, it's best to choose "post-fader." This will ensure the bus's master fader level affects the signal at the output. NB this is not the tap point for channels sending to the bus, that will remain pre-eq (or whetever you've set in the previous paragraph) it is the tap point for the bus being routed to the output. If you were to choose pre-fader here then the bus1 master fader wouldn't affect the output. You could have the fader down at -inf and the floor wedge would still be blaring. You could raise the fader to +10dB and the floor wedge's level would remain the same. The "+M" option determines whether the output will take notice of the bus's mute status. If you use the +M option then when you mute the bus the floor wedge will go dead. If you don't use the "+M" option and you mute the bus, the signal will still make it to the output and your monitors will still make noise.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the information. I've only had my console for 6 months, used it a few times and still trying to figure out how to navigate through all the settings. Festival season is beginning and I need to learn this in a few days.

When I purchased the console 6 months ago, Using it for the first time was like jumping into a fire and hope to survive. The quick setup guide is very basic and the owners manual doesn't go into detail on each subject. The manual assumes that the users knows what LC and +M, Tap, routing, etc. means. It would be great is their technical writer can add visual descriptions like the attached drawing into the manual.

Running my monitors from FOH (with ipad on stage), I prefer to have everything pre (just like an analog console). I assume In/LC in the signal patch is input/low cut on each channel strip

Just to clarify. For the input stage. my Home/Config (channel sends preconfiguration) should be set for IN/LC with a TEQ inserted. This should make the mixbus all pre, with the exception of the LC. The Routing/Out 1-16 should be set for Output x/ Mix Bus / MixBus 0x/Post Fader. this will make the mixbux post fader (bus 1-8 faders on the right of the console)

What does the Setup/Config (Bus Pre-configuration) do? When I select 8+0+8, mixbus 1-8 will be defaulted to Post-EQ and mix bux 9-16 setup for post-fader.

Each channel strip also has a setting in the Home/sends where the mix bus can be changed.

Do I need to make changes to all to get it to work correctly? Making changes to the Mixbus 1/home/config doesn't seem to change the mixbus setting on the channel strip home/send tab.

I currently have my tap at pre-fader and my output at pre-fader since this is how I'm used to setting up my analog consoles. I'm not sure if the monitors are affected by the channel EQ.

I will setup my console this week and reconfigure the mixbus tap for In/LC and post-fader on the output it for the upcoming weekend festivals.
Contributor - Level 3

Running my monitors from FOH (with ipad on stage), I prefer to have everything pre (just like an analog console). I assume In/LC in the signal patch is input/low cut on each channel strip

Correct.

Just to clarify. For the input stage. my Home/Config (channel sends preconfiguration) should be set for IN/LC with a TEQ inserted. This should make the mixbus all pre, with the exception of the LC. The Routing/Out 1-16 should be set for Output x/ Mix Bus / MixBus 0x/Post Fader. this will make the mixbux post fader (bus 1-8 faders on the right of the console)

Correct.

What does the Setup/Config (Bus Pre-configuration) do? When I select 8+0+8, mixbus 1-8 will be defaulted to Post-EQ and mix bux 9-16 setup for post-fader.

The Setup>Config>Bus pre-configuration is a quick and dirty way of setting up settings for the 16x mixbuses for a variety of applications. When you select the "8+0+8" option that means you're pre-configuring the 16 mixbuses as "8x post-eq + 0x subgroups + 8x post-fader." This might suit some peoples' applications, but perhaps not yours. If you were to select the "8+4+4" option the mixbuses would be configured as "8x post-eq + 4x subgroups + 4x post-fader." That might suit some people, but not necessarily you. Sadly there is no "10+2+4" option that would suit your application, so the setup of your mixbuses will be a bit more involved. For your application, you need to select mixbus1, go to the config tab, and use the 3rd encoder to set the channels to feed that mixbus from their In/LC tap points.

It's like using the Setup>Config>Bus pre configuration is the "Basic" way of doing it, using the Mixbus>Config>select tap for all channels is the "Advanced" way, and selecting a channel and configuring its send to different mixbuses is the "Super Advanced" way of doing it. Each method allows more flexibility than the last, but takes longer to set up.

Each channel strip also has a setting in the Home/sends where the mix bus can be changed.
Do I need to make changes to all to get it to work correctly? Making changes to the Mixbus 1/home/config doesn't seem to change the mixbus setting on the channel strip home/send tab.

That's odd, it should.

I currently have my tap at pre-fader and my output at pre-fader since this is how I'm used to setting up my analog consoles. I'm not sure if the monitors are affected by the channel EQ.

If your channel>mixbus tap is set to pre-fader then that should include the channel's eq processing block. NB it will also include the channel's compressor block too, so be careful if using floor wedges, as the MUG from channel compression in floor wedges is a recipe for feedback. To get around this you can use the "post-eq" tap point. This will include the channel's eq, but not the channel's compressor. Confirm this by selecting a channel and going to the sends tab to see the block diagram. Of course if you use the In/LC tap you won't get channel eq or compressor, as the In\LC tap point is before both of these processing blocks.

Using the In\LC tap for a channel feeding a mixbus means that processing blocks before the In\LC tap point will affect the channel signal being fed to the mixbus, processing blocks after the In\LC tap point won't. Processing blocks that will affect the channel signal when using the In\LC tap are the preamp gain, digital trim (if enabled,) polarity inversion, line-delay and HPF. Processing blocks that won't affect the channel's sound in the mixbus are the gate, the peq, the compressor and the insert point. The means the channel's gate, eq, comp and insert will only affect the channel's sound in FOH, not in monitors.

If you select a channel and go over to the sends tab you get a section of a block diagram that explains this.

I assume the TEQ is set as an insert on the mixbus as opposed to an insert on the channel? If on the mixbus, then setting the Routing>output1-16 tap to post-fader will get that TEQ in the monitor's signal path. However if you'd set it pre-fader then that is also pre-insert point, so you wouldn't get the TEQ in your monitor. BTW are you sure you need the TEQ? Each mixbus has it's own 6-band peq, which is probably more useful than your TEQ\GEQ for sweeping and using a narrow Q for notching out feedback in monitors.

That PDF looks very Soundcraft-esque, however if you do use the In\LC tap point the the diargam is accurate enough in that it shows the channels feeding the mixbus before the channels are affected by their gates\eq\comp\inserts\faders.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Craig,

Thanks for the great information

I'm going to re-configure my Midas console before this weekend's festival. I'm running 5 stages and have a mix of Midas, Soundcraft, Allen & Heath and mackie consoles. The A&H is the only analog console with old school rack of eq's and efx.

My plan is to migrate to more Midas consoles and begin selling off the others.