Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Midas Pro 1 issues

Contributor - Level 2
While mixing a recent show the console screen switched to the startup screen(screen with the pro 1 and planet earth graphics .) I was able to exit this screen back to my previous working layer. This did not happen again for the remainder of the show. About an hour later all audio dropped for about 5 seconds. This only happened once throughout the event. The console was connected to a UPS and the digital snake from FOH to stage was the Midas recommended Belden.
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Midas Pro 1 issues

Super Contributor - Level 2
Jonathan Betts;158096 wrote:
While mixing a recent show the console screen switched to the startup screen(screen with the pro 1 and planet earth graphics .) I was able to exit this screen back to my previous working layer. This did not happen again for the remainder of the show. About an hour later all audio dropped for about 5 seconds. This only happened once throughout the event. The console was connected to a UPS and the digital snake from FOH to stage was the Midas recommended Belden.

I thought the Midas blue stageboxes were immune to the ESD issue that DL16/32 boxes can be prone to but your audio dropout sounds somehow very familiar. Is that Belden cable by any chance unshielded and are their ethercons attached to it?

Contributor - Level 2
They are far from immune to ESD. I can reproduce loss of sync easily with a spark generator when connected from console to 153 stage box. The problem is much worse using unsheilded cables like Midas recommends. The room I was working had carpeted floors and stage, so lots of static electricity. It is only an issue when I use the Pro 1/ DL153 in this room. I have never had issues with any of my other digital consoles.

The problem still exists even when using shielded cat 5 with the sheild bonded to the casing of the Ethercon connectors. The issue is much less severe with the bonded shielded cables, but it’s still a problem.

Jonathan Betts;158123 wrote:
They are far from immune to ESD. I can reproduce loss of sync easily with a spark generator when connected from console to 153 stage box. The problem is much worse using unsheilded cables like Midas recommends. The room I was working had carpeted floors and stage, so lots of static electricity. It is only an issue when I use the Pro 1/ DL153 in this room. I have never had issues with any of my other digital consoles.

The problem still exists even when using shielded cat 5 with the sheild bonded to the casing of the Ethercon connectors. The issue is much less severe with the bonded shielded cables, but it’s still a problem.

If it were me I would try Cat7 with ethercons, overall shield connected at BOTH ends to the casing of the rj45's. Cat7 has substantially greater shielding properties. That said, a properly constructed shielded cat5 with ethercons should have fixed it (ESD part). Some shielded aes50 cables sold out there left the shield only connected at one end and this would not help. Easy test is check for continuity from ethercon shell to ethercon shell. If it has continuity then all good.

Contributor - Level 2
It doesn’t matter if there is continuity on both ends of the shielded/bonded cable. I still have had the issue. Just not as frequent.

Then ESD is probably not your issue-unless purposely sparking the unit with a generator multiple times in itself did some damage.... Sounds like a service call is in order. I'd maybe leave that little bit of background info out of the conversation though.

Contributor - Level 3
Sometimes failures aren’t just one thing but a combination of things. And sometimes there isn’t anything that you can do about static other than eliminating it at the source. Regularly using Static Guard spray has been the only way that I have been able to eliminate static in a few churches that I have dealt with. One of them if you walked on the carpet and touched wood you would get a static shock that sent a bang into the sound system. No amount of grounding could fix that problem. This was a completely analog system.

2 things that come to mind when reading this

Not all UPS are created equal. We use what I assume is a very expensive one at FOH that the batteries converts the output to a true sine-wave, there is no switchover time at all, it is always running the power thru the batteries. About a year ago we had to change out the batteries (it takes 4) and they were about $100 for all 4. Have you ever tested the UPS by unplugging the source and see what happens?

The other thing is Cat cable is not the most robust cable and connectors out there. I wouldn’t be surprised if this could be the results of an intermittent cable and or connector failure. I would have preferred that they would have designed it so interconnections were on something more robust. This is actually why I don’t use the remote stage boxes with our Midas M32 consoles. We have plenty of snakes to use. If I ever did start interconnecting the mixers with Cat cable I would make adapters to the EtherCon connectors for our Cat cable tester and regularly test the cable including to the shield on the EtherCon chassis/shell.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors