Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

New M32r Live announced records 32 tracks at 192k X Live card!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: New M32r Live announced records 32 tracks at 192k X Live card!

Volunteer Moderator
You misread the tech stuff.

The ad/da converters are capable of doing up to 192k, but only up to 48k is actually being used.

The new m32 is just a standard m32 that comes pre-installed with the dn32-live option card. The m32 is not capable of 192k operation and the dn32-live is already close to maxed out with 32tracks @ 48k.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

This article is where I got misslead...

Contributor - Level 2
http://allthingsgear.com/midas-m32r-live-digital-mixing-console-intuitive-upgrade-regular-m32r/

"Differences to the Midas M32R original model are very slim, but also quite impressive and important to keeping up with new industry standards in digital audio. The Midas M32R can now run all 32 of its channels on up to 192kHz sample rates at the same time, thanks to the power of new SD/SDHC cards installed."

I thought they made a new card for the new board.
I just don't get the point of the updated console then with new buttons and carbon fiber, with no increase in sample rate...

Volunteer Moderator
I am lost for words...

Aes50 can’t even do 192k so it would have been a lost case anyhow.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Hi folks. New forum member here.

Have been using the Midas MR18 for a while however, I'm considering the M32 for a project studio. Having always had mixers, I miss not having a physical interface in the studio, not to mention setting up cue mixes with effects is so much easier when compared to working completely "in the box" and dealing with round trip latency etc.

Just on this topic, am I to assume that the new M32 will act as an interface to a DAW with sample rates of up to 192kHz? Im not sure what else the marketing spiel is getting at, if not this? Would someone be able to confirm this for me?

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you have been enjoying the MR18 and are considering getting it's bigger brother, the M32.

That article is not in any way an official publication. Rather it is someone at All Things Gear that decide to write about the new M32, and frankly got his facts wrong ("fake news"). The M32, like the XR18 has 2 sample rates - 44K and 48K.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Ah I see. How unfortunate! Darn that fake news.

I was hoping the new M32 would have the option to at least do 96kHz (as an interface) if only for current and future session compatibility.

Contributor - Level 2
Sorry, one thing I noticed when looking through the product page was this --

The groundbreaking M32R LIVE console combines legendary Midas sound quality with advanced digital technology, future-proof floating point audio engine, extremely low-latency design and industry-leading 192 kHz ADC and DAC converters, creating a revolutionary mid-format live console...

Seeing that 192kHz obviously doesn't apply to the internals of the unit, I'm not sure what "industry-leading 192 kHz ADC and DAC converters" could mean other than the ability to be used as an audio interface at samples rates up to 192kHz.

Is this fake news? Cheers

Volunteer Moderator
It is marketing hype taken out of context.

The converters are capable for service up to 192k if a host would be able to support such high sample rates. The x/m32 can only do up to 48k.

Bill Palmer;159686 wrote:
Sorry, one thing I noticed when looking through the product page was this --

Seeing that 192kHz obviously doesn't apply to the internals of the unit, I'm not sure what "industry-leading 192 kHz ADC and DAC converters" could mean other than the ability to be used as an audio interface at samples rates up to 192kHz.

Is this fake news? Cheers

Contributor - Level 2
Ah I see. That makes sense. So the convertors could (in theory) go to 192 but they remain fixed at 44.1 and 48, the same as the MR18.

I was hoping there may have been some SRC on the outputs for DAW interface purposes.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors