Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Official Clarification for the 96kHz operation for the M32 and M32R

Contributor - Level 2
I have seen a lot of endless discussion among members asking each other and the devs a question, without seeing a concrete answer anywhere - When the 96kHz feature will be made available on the M32 and M32R models?

I cannot, for the life of me, find the answer anywhere on the www. I believe it is a valid question as the M32 and M32R are both still advertised as 'Open architecture allows for future 96 kHz operation'.
The discussions are starting from 2014. I guess now in 2019, we may have the answer - When?

Just to add my own position on this and this is probably true with many of us - this feature is the only reason I have been holding on to not to purchase the desk yet. If the feature is made available or if there is a definitive answer with at least a projected date, I will be right now on my way to the store.

Regards.

EDIT: Could we please avoid the if-s and but-s, or the topic will lose its purpose, the internet is full of it, no need for another endless thread.
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Official Clarification for the 96kHz operation for the M32 and M32R

Super Contributor - Level 1
Do not hold your breath, it won't be happening. Even if it ever did, something major will be compromised in so doing, like only half the ch's or half the fx/buses...or something. I will be most happy to eat my words if it does however. Wait on the next installment of mixer model...or join the fray as it is, still great mixers as they sit imo.

Volunteer Moderator
The hardware can handle 96k but it severely affects the dsp processing.

The initial intention was to provide 96k, however they came to the realization that it would cripple the mixer too much, to the extent that they felt it was something that they couldn’t support.

There are no current plans to implement 96k support and it is highly unlikely that they will reconsider this.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Robert, your claim cannot be right. As of today (15th of January 2019), Midas’ official website and all resellers websites advertise both, the M32 and M32R as 96kHz future proof.
I repeat, this thread was started, to get official clarification. If you are correct Robert, then the claim has to be removed from Midas’ website and resellers websites. Today, many people around the world are going to buy these products with the knowledge that they are 96kHz future proof. It takes less than a minute for the claim to be removed.

Volunteer Moderator
While I don’t know the reason for not removing the 96k reference from the old documentation it was finally removed with the introduction of the M32-Live, which is just a M32 with a pre-installed dn32-live card.

But technically the claim is correct. The x/m32 is 96k future proof should they ever decide to implement it and cripple the m32 functionality. The M32 is listed as having 192k converters and I’m pretty sure that we won’t ever see any 192k capable m32 consoles.

As for resellers changing their websites. Some are still using the old prototype pictures of the x32 on their web pages...

Meelis Malgand;158804 wrote:
If you are correct Robert, then the claim has to be removed from Midas’ website and resellers websites. Today, many people around the world are going to buy these products with the knowledge that they are 96kHz future proof. It takes less than a minute for the claim to be removed.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

Volunteer Moderator
Meelis Malgand;158768 wrote:
When the 96kHz feature will be made available on the M32 and M32R models?

I can give you a definitive answer. The company has a policy not to give a date to any of us as to when any future feature will be made available. They have made it very clear here and elsewhere. And there are no if's or but's about it.

By the way, Roberts response is correct in that there are no current plans. Of course that could change in the future.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Paul you say: "By the way, Roberts response is correct in that there are no current plans. Of course that could change in the future."

My question is, how long is 'current'? The question was raised back in 2014!!!

I bet the models will be discontinued soon, leaving people who bought them, with the line of text echoing in their heads.

The issue I and many, if not most of the desk owners have is, the little line of text on Midas' homepage. It is very catchy. I repeat what I said before: I would have had the desk in my studio if it was running at 96kHz. (I do not and cannot say the desk is bad at 48kHz, by the way).

We are talking ethics here. A respected company like Midas! I cannot understand how this has been allowed to go on for so long, making a serious statement, that is not even on the roadmap!

I understand, you Paul and Robert, you cannot give the answer, because what Paul said: "I can give you a definitive answer. The company has a policy not to give a date to any of us as to when any future feature will be made available. They have made it very clear here and elsewhere. And there are no if's or but's about it."

I titled the thread as "Official Clarification..." I hope someone at Midas with the answer will surface and put an end to the controversy and restore trust in may of us.

By the time I typed this response, the thread view count went up by about 40.

Volunteer Moderator
Meelis Malgand;158833 wrote:
I titled the thread as "Official Clarification..." I hope someone at Midas with the answer will surface and put an end to the controversy and restore trust in may of us.

This is a user based set of forums, and there has rarely been anyone from Midas participate here lately. You will need to contact the company directly to get this "Official Clarification". Robert and I are volunteer moderators (and product users) who have the privilege of helping manage these forums for Music Group and have regular contact with the various companies and departments within the Music Group umbrella.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 3
My question I think is more of a technical nature regarding 96 kHz. Years ago when I used a Yamaha PM5D I always set it for 96 kHz I don’t think I ever used it set to anything else so I don’t know how much difference that made. Now it was obviously a different architecture but there weren’t any reductions in capabilities between the different sample rates. I just called up a spec sheet on the PM5D and it looks like internal (D) and external (A-D) sampling rates changed together.

I set our M32 mixers to 48 kHz all of the time. I have no complaints, I set them this way when we first got them and I have never changed them to 44.1 kHz. I am doing live work almost 100 percent of the time. I could definitely see people who are doing mostly recording really wanting the 96 kHz capabilities. But I think there are a lot of other places where a sound difference would be more noticeable for live sound then the mixers sample rate.

I had an A&H SQ6 (that runs at 96 kHz) for a few months, loaned to me by a sound company that wanted me to learn and evaluate it for them. I had it running side by side with one of our M32 mixers and played with them a lot. To me there was no noticeable sound difference except for some effects, but that is a different story. I loved that ability to assign any layer to any channel layout that I wanted. But the interface (getting around on it) was extremely frustrating. And some of that was that I am just so familiar with the M32 mixers. In so many ways I think the M32 is superior to the A&H SQ mixers.

I was under the impression that internally the M32 and the X32 are running higher than 96 kHz. It seems like it is only the A-D and D-A that are set to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz. So technically it would seem like it is only the D-A and A-D that would need to be changed. If internally it is already running higher the 96 kHz I would think that there shouldn’t be any reduction in internal processing or channel count.

What is the internal processing sample rate of the M32 and the X32? I have seen it mentioned in the past but couldn’t find it now when I searched.

Volunteer Moderator
Most of the internal processing runs at x1. Only a few of the rack-fx, like the reverbs, runs at a higher oversampling rate due to their nature.

Kevin Maxwell;158856 wrote:
I was under the impression that internally the M32 and the X32 are running higher than 96 kHz. It seems like it is only the A-D and D-A that are set to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz. So technically it would seem like it is only the D-A and A-D that would need to be changed. If internally it is already running higher the 96 kHz I would think that there shouldn’t be any reduction in internal processing or channel count.

What is the internal processing sample rate of the M32 and the X32? I have seen it mentioned in the past but couldn’t find it now when I searched.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors