Super Contributor - Level 2

Output delay for building delay lines

On the X32 devices you can easily setup a delay line by adjusting the output delay in the output tab (measured in ft, meters and ms). I would not have guessed that this is missing on the XR18! It would greatly enhance the XR18's versatility if this feature was added.
Tags (1)
FelixHomann Super Contributor - Level 2 2015-06-15

2015-06-15

Output delay for building delay lines

On the X32 devices you can easily setup a delay line by adjusting the output delay in the output tab (measured in ft, meters and ms). I would not have guessed that this is missing on the XR18! It would greatly enhance the XR18's versatility if this feature was added.

• 0 Kudos
  • 44 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Output delay for building delay lines

+1

Neither would I have guessed this. And I'm even lower profile with XR12.
In fact this very obvious feature, or the lack of it is a show stopper for the time being.

I ordered the XR12 as a small but powerful mixer for a coming series of high profile lectures/clinics.
Some 300 attendants each of the 10 sessions, in a horribly reverberant 30m chapel.
I was even granted permission to bring in some seriously expensive speaker systems...
Two delay lines would have been live saving for intelligibility.

Pity.

Am I entirely retarded in hoping that with the right minimal settings, one can trick a delay FX into thinking it was a simple output delay?

cheers
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Felix and Jos,

I'm not sure I understand why you would base your purchasing decision on a guess. The fact that no delay is available for the X-Air series is readily available here on the forum (it has been discussed at length). The X-Air documentation is available on the wiki and the X-Air app is freely available for many OS platforms. Granted, the price point and size of these X-Air models make them very appealing. But if the available features do not fulfill the need, it can be very disappointing. If you really need delay on the outputs, I would suggest you consider getting the X32 Rack.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Oh! I'm good man. No offence.

You're absolutely right. I ordered my XR12 (in a few hours from now it's delivery time!) blind folded.
Because I thought I couldn't go wrong with it. And I won't.

O1V is about what, 20 years old? It had delay on all outputs. I even seem to remember trying to get rid of lavalier hell sometime, by delaying on the input.

I just wouldn't think it is left out on purpose, even if I'm confident that the target audience for a 4 preamp mixer doesn't care for such things.

I have been in doubt as to whether I would be better of buying the Ui.
Turns out it has no output delay (yet) either. Beats me.
And it records even fewer channels to USB (zero).

I'm glad to have stuck with my initial idea.

My precious output delay wil be taken care of by some overly expensive power amplifiers. By the way.

Cheers
Highlighted

Hi Paul,

I in turn can not quite understand why you base your comment on a guess, namely that output delay was so important to me that the lack of it would have changed my decision Smiley Wink If output delay was that essential to me I would have either made sure the XR18 had this feature or immediately returned the device after finding out.

This being said, the missing output delay still is one of the most surprising differences compared to the X32 family.

But this is the feature request section after all, isn't it. I would like to have it and I am still surprised it hasn't been there right from the start.

One more note: I actually based my purchase decision on another feature: The revolutionary Dugan*-style Auto-Mixing feature that automatically manages microphone gain sharing... No I didn't, just kidding Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Or add a relatively low cost Behringer DCX2496LE to the output of your XR18. Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Richard YClark;55110 wrote:
Or add a relatively low cost Behringer DCX2496LE to the output of your XR18. Smiley Happy

Hmm, the price of the DCX2496LE is very much the difference between the XR18 and the X32 Rack. The same probably holds for the weight* of it Smiley Wink

I guess I rather hope for a firmware update bringing this feature...

*Weight is the reason I chose the XR18 over the X32 Rack.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Most definitely +1 on output delay. Very simple addition, very important.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Is there a way to use one of the FX processors as a delay line? If not, a delay line emulator would be a cool future release as a plug in.... I'm assuming that the lack of a delay on inputs & outputs is more to do with processor loads, rather than being a feature that was omitted...

D
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Dan Hoole;58648 wrote:
Is there a way to use one of the FX processors as a delay line? If not, a delay line emulator would be a cool future release as a plug in.... I'm assuming that the lack of a delay on inputs & outputs is more to do with processor loads, rather than being a feature that was omitted...

Certainly, one can insert a delay in an output buss. However, many of us already use all of the effects processors and wish there were more. It's absolutely not a question of computational power. Delay is one of the simplest possible processes. They just left it out.