Recording

Highlighted

Overwhelmed by routing options

Contributor - Level 2
Hi,

I just got a Behringer x32 for home studio and recording purposes. I tried a few routing setups but was overwhelmed by the routing options.

This is the reason why I wanted to ask if someone could help me?

I want to feed 32 channels from ableton to the behringer x32s inputs channels.
Then I want those 32 channels to be divided into a few busses (drums, leads, etc.).
And then I want those busses to feed a master/mix bus.

Next I want to to sent the mixbus and the other busses (drums, leads, etc. for stem saving) to ableton.
Then I want ableton to process the mixbus (2-track) in real-time and output abletons master channel (which I can set to be an Input on the Behringer) on my monitor speakers.

Is that possible?

I tried a few configurations but either I got
-no sound from my monitors from the monitor section
-ringing/feedback loops?

and the busses never worked as I want them to work!

Can i feed an Input Channel to a bus and only hear it when the bus is up? Because everytime I tried this I had multiple signals. I think it is because my Input Channels feed the monitor speakers and the bus does to additionally instead of controlling the output.

Huge Thanks in Advance

Greetings,
Chris
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Overwhelmed by routing options

Volunteer Moderator
Christoph Möslinger;158461 wrote:
Hi,

I just got a Behringer x32 for home studio and recording purposes. I tried a few routing setups but was overwhelmed by the routing options.

We have all been there .

Here is the basic idea.

I want to feed 32 channels from ableton to the behringer x32s inputs channels.

Setup HOME routing to Card1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32.

Then I want those 32 channels to be divided into a few busses (drums, leads, etc.).
And then I want those busses to feed a master/mix bus.

Remove the channels from the LR-bus and send each channel to a mixbus as a Subgroup. Assign each subgroup to the LR-bus.

Next I want to to sent the mixbus and the other busses (drums, leads, etc. for stem saving) to ableton.

Setup the P16 routing tab to source from your mixbusses. Setup Card Out routing to P16 1-8, 9-16 for up to 16 mixbusses.

Then I want ableton to process the mixbus (2-track) in real-time and output abletons master channel (which I can set to be an Input on the Behringer) on my monitor speakers.

The main problem is that you only have 32 inputs from you usb/computer so you can actually only mix up to 30ch from your computer in this scenario.

With that in mind reassign aux5/6 to source from your card and select aux5/6 as your monitor source.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
First of all, thanks a lot for the help!

I had almost everything setup like that already, the only thing i didnt do is remove the the channels from the LR Bus!

How can I actually assign busses to the LR Bus and how can I remove channels from it?

Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Vienna,
Chris

Volunteer Moderator
You don’t menion what version of the x32 you have.

But, if you have one of the ‘real’ ones you’ll find the LR send on/off together with the mono send on/off just to the left of the lcd.

Just select a channel or a bus and enable/disable the LR send from that button.

Vienna? I’ve slept in a roundabout in Vienna

Christoph Möslinger;158500 wrote:
First of all, thanks a lot for the help!

I had almost everything setup like that already, the only thing i didnt do is remove the the channels from the LR Bus!

How can I actually assign busses to the LR Bus and how can I remove channels from it?

Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Vienna,
Chris
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Thank you so much!

Contributor - Level 2
Holy! I feel mentally disabled Smiley Very Happy I was using that Main Bus section, but didnt notice it was the control for sending it to the Main bus

Not the compact or the producer one, its the standard x32 (big one) I guess.

I guess it sounds more fun sleepin in a roundabout than it actually was or? Smiley Very Happy

HUGE THANKS!

cheers

Volunteer Moderator
Christoph Möslinger;158515 wrote:
Not the compact or the producer one, its the standard x32 (big one) I guess.

I call it the BigBoy

I guess it sounds more fun sleepin in a roundabout than it actually was or? Smiley Very Happy

It was really nice, actually. It was a very big roundabout with trees and bushes, almost like a small’ish park.

It was back in the days when me and my friends were interrailing/backpacking. We were unable to find any cheap place to stay at within a resonable time (and internet was still in its very early days) when we found this very nice roundabout.

Those were the days
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors