Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

P1u

My feature request is more of a modification for the just-released P1.

We have been using the P16 at the church I go to (where I am the FOH engineer) and the band really loves the personalization. A biggest thing I have against the P16 is that I have no way of hearing/soloing what the musician hears. So, fixing issues requires me to plug in to their mixer physically.

I love the idea for the P1, as now I can route my mix busses to the P16 digital bus and assign stereo pairs of XLRs on S16s or the main board (for wireless IEMs) for the musicians to use the X32-Q app to control their mix bus. Of course, this uses up mix busses, but I don't have more than 6 musicians, so I only need 12 XLR jacks. If I need to use my mix busses, then the P16 system would be a better fit.

My improvement on the P1 is the P1U, which "U" stands for Ultranet. While the P1 has 2 XLR inputs, the P1U has one Ethercon input and the other has a hexadecimal rotary switch to select the starting P16 channel. When the mono switch is disengaged, channel 2 is the value of the rotary switch plus one. Ideally, the P1U is powered by a P16D distributor over the Ethercon cable. Another benefit is that multiple P1Us can be set to the same bus for multiple people to share the busses (backup singers, etc.), negating the need to split the XLR signal. All you would need are more P16Ds.

This would also clean up the stage by reducing the number of XLRs needed to run to the packs.

I would suggest setting the MAP price to $74 so as to not compete with the P1, yet make it very affordable for rental houses and studios.

I hope that this is taken into consideration as I really love the end-to-end solution that the X32 ecosystem provides.

Cheers,

Matthew King
MatthewKing Contributor - Level 2 2014-01-28

2014-01-28

P1u

My feature request is more of a modification for the just-released P1.

We have been using the P16 at the church I go to (where I am the FOH engineer) and the band really loves the personalization. A biggest thing I have against the P16 is that I have no way of hearing/soloing what the musician hears. So, fixing issues requires me to plug in to their mixer physically.

I love the idea for the P1, as now I can route my mix busses to the P16 digital bus and assign stereo pairs of XLRs on S16s or the main board (for wireless IEMs) for the musicians to use the X32-Q app to control their mix bus. Of course, this uses up mix busses, but I don't have more than 6 musicians, so I only need 12 XLR jacks. If I need to use my mix busses, then the P16 system would be a better fit.

My improvement on the P1 is the P1U, which "U" stands for Ultranet. While the P1 has 2 XLR inputs, the P1U has one Ethercon input and the other has a hexadecimal rotary switch to select the starting P16 channel. When the mono switch is disengaged, channel 2 is the value of the rotary switch plus one. Ideally, the P1U is powered by a P16D distributor over the Ethercon cable. Another benefit is that multiple P1Us can be set to the same bus for multiple people to share the busses (backup singers, etc.), negating the need to split the XLR signal. All you would need are more P16Ds.

This would also clean up the stage by reducing the number of XLRs needed to run to the packs.

I would suggest setting the MAP price to $74 so as to not compete with the P1, yet make it very affordable for rental houses and studios.

I hope that this is taken into consideration as I really love the end-to-end solution that the X32 ecosystem provides.

Cheers,

Matthew King

• 0 Kudos
  • 33 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: P1u

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the forum. That is a very good idea. Thanks for suggesting it.

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply.

If you need a beta-tester for these, I'm sure I know a guy...
Volunteer Moderator

Actually, I'd love to be one of them as well. That P1 caught my eye during NAMM, for my own ministry (40-50 events per year), particularly if there was an Ultranet ready model. We also use the P16's at our church and everyone is very happy with them.

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

I would love a single connector version… An XLR5 to receive stereo signal via an XLR5M to 2 XLR3F adaptor.
Contributor - Level 3

I still don't get the P1. So now you have to have 2 xlr lines to drag around? Aren't there plenty of wireless options for IEM ?

Here is a fresh idea, why not a P1 W?

" wireless ultranet " yes you heard it here first sports fans. A wireless P1 on an "ultra net wifi." Set each P1 to one of 8 stereo ultra net outputs.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 2

Glenn Adams;15499 wrote:
I still don't get the P1. So now you have to have 2 xlr lines to drag around? Aren't there plenty of wireless options for IEM ?

Here is a fresh idea, why not a P1 W?

" wireless ultranet " yes you heard it here first sports fans. A wireless P1 on an "ultra net wifi." Set each P1 to one of 8 stereo ultra net outputs.

we have been down that road before with people wanting to do a wifi snake
Contributor - Level 3

Ultranet is not Ethernet so WiFi would not work. I mean WiFi like wireless network.

In fact it would be great to have a P16M wireless also. Oops I forgot, there is, it is an iPad mini running X32 Q.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 2

The PowerPlay P1 will cost between $40 - $70 I think, that's a great price for them and you can set it up for players who don't run around the stage; drummer, keyboards, back instruments, and others. It is controlled by someone at the monitor desk or by themselves using an iPad mini, iPhone, coming soon on Android, and iPod touches using the QMIX app. To find something comparable, they cost around $250 or higher.

Wireless IEM systems cost a lot of money, I have researched the Wireless systems and the cheapest on the market is $380 on ebay, it doesn't sound as good as others with only a 100hz to 15khz sound quality, not good for bass players. The recommended IEM systems run around $800 each, and have great sound for all players, plus you are also paying for your custom IEM's.

There is a wireless system that runs on 2.4ghz http://amzn.com/B004NSVKKE, I just don't care for it.

Glenn got it right on WIFI, doesn't and wont work, and i doubt bands would go for it. And for anyone who whats a WIFI Snake, I have the greatest solution! move the console next to the stage and use the iPad app to control the console on a WIFI signal, there is your wifi snake!
Volunteer Moderator

Nickolas Lohrber;15502 wrote:
we have been down that road before with people wanting to do a wifi snake

I've been using a wireless snake since I got my Rack in October and it works wonderfully, Nickolas. Honestly. I've had a lot of positive compliments that people no longer have to take care not to trip over my multicore.

Paul