Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Phones aren't connecting to the mixer

Contributor - Level 2
Hi folks,

Just got a new XR18. So far, everything else is working great. But a rather confounding problem presents itself: we have two Google Pixel 2 phones and neither of them will connect to the XR18. When I open the X Air app on either phone, then tap "connect," it just gets stuck on "searching" and never gets any further than that.

One phone is a Pixel 2, the other a Pixel 2 XL. the firmware on the XR18 has just been updated. I have tried connecting using both Access Point and Wifi Client, neither work on the phones. Both of those remote options do work to connect an Ipad, an iMac, and a macbook pro to the XR18, using their respective X Air apps. I have the mixer's little antenna pointed up. When I connect using the mixers Access Point option, I first select the mixer in the Network settings of the phone. When I connect using WiFi client, I first select the WiFi that the mixer is already setup to connect with.

So yeah, I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Phones aren't connecting to the mixer

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Giacomo,

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest you use Mixing Station instead. The official app is actually an older port of Mixing Station. On the first screen, type in the IP address, or select Search and let the app find the XR18.

Also with Mixing Station, you can adjust the Fine steps in the App Setup, Channel Strip, Fine Fader Ratio (to answer your other question).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Hi there, thanks for the quick reply.

So I tried out Mixing Station. On my phone it still has the same problem as X Air edit did. It just stays stuck trying to connect to the mixer.

I also tried it on my iPad, too, but apparently you have to buy it in order to even use it at all on the iPad. Being as how it doesn't work on my phone either, the only thing I would be paying for is its ability to do those fine tune adjustments I was talking about. Which seems silly. Is there any way that you can just do fine adjustments in the official X Air edit app?

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Giacomo,

If you are trying to connect your phones to the built in wifi in the XR18, the switch has to be on Access Point (far right). Then you have to connect the phone itself to that wifi (phone's Settings, Wireless and Networks). Once you are connected, run either Mixing Station or the official app and select Search (not connect).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Yep, I've tried that. After tapping either "Search" or "connect" it just stays stuck on "searching." I left it like that today for several hours.

Like I said, stumped. I also tried updating my phone, which didn't help. Any other thoughts?

I appreciate your help, by the way.

Contributor - Level 3
Giacomo Hatanaka;158586 wrote:
Yep, I've tried that. After tapping either "Search" or "connect" it just stays stuck on "searching." I left it like that today for several hours.

Like I said, stumped. I also tried updating my phone, which didn't help. Any other thoughts?

Hi Giacomo, I can think of two things that could be causing you problems:

Smartphones are always trying to connect to the Internet. When you connect via Wifi to an XR's internal or dedicated external access point, the connection may be dropped after a few seconds if the phone can see another network that includes Internet access. You can observe this by reopening the phone's Wifi connection settings. You can usually stop this behavior by unchecking Connect Automatically in the settings for the network(s) with Internet access. In some cases it may be necessary to temporarily Forget one or more networks that the phone keeps returning to. Some phones have network priority settings which may help. This is more likely to happen at home than at a gig due to the presence of your normal home Wifi.

I have seen both Mixing Station and the "official" Android XAir apps get stuck when attempting to connect/search where there is not a network connection to the mixer. Even after the network connection is established, the apps may remain stuck. When I have seen this behavior (usually as a result of the connection dropping as explained above), I can usually fix it by deleting the app from the app history list (square button on my phone). You could also open Android's settings for the app and click the FORCE STOP button. I have only seen the apps get stuck when the network connection to the mixer had been interrupted.

Super Contributor - Level 2
If you didn't have to pay for the new Mixing Station app for your iPhone then you don't really have it. You can download the app for free yes but can't connect to it, it's essentially in demo perpetual mode. You need to buy it then any device, ipad or iPhone that uses that same apple id can use the app. Also you need to connect to the proper network that carries your mixer. You don't need to search either, just need to put in the console ip and 'connect' unlike other versions and os's.

Contributor - Level 2
Rex, it looks like you figured it out. My phone wasn't telling me that it was trying to connect to the internet. Little bugger. So now I can connect to my mixer with my phone just fine, after I told it to stay connected to it. Thanks a lot!

Contributor - Level 3
Giacomo Hatanaka;158616 wrote:
Rex, it looks like you figured it out. My phone wasn't telling me that it was trying to connect to the internet. Little bugger. So now I can connect to my mixer with my phone just fine, after I told it to stay connected to it. Thanks a lot!

That's great news. Smiley Very Happy I hope you can now enjoy using your XR18. Smiley Happy
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors