Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Pops & CLicks that start aparently randomly. Can only fix with reboot.

Contributor - Level 2
Starting from scratch, if I boot the x32 and then the Win7 computer via usb, I will usually get a clean sound, without problems. Most of the time, the x32 is just being used as a soundcard, playing whatever, from the computer (foobar2000, youtube on FF, etc).

But then, I will be working, with no sounds running, and I might hear a pop, and see the meters jump. If I attempt to play any music, simple youtube or Studio1 playback, I will have lots of popping and clicking. It is random and not present on recorded tracks, thru S1.

So, I usually wind up having to reboot the computer and x32, and *usually, that fixes it, for a while. I may go days and weeks without problems, or sometimes, the problem occurs, the next time I reboot.

1. What gives?
B. Is there a quicker way to fix, without a full reboot of the puter? Like I am pretty sure i've tried disable/reenable in device manager, but some quick solution would be great.
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Pops & CLicks that start aparently randomly. Can only fix with reboot.

Volunteer Moderator
Make sure that the system sounds and similar uses the same samplerate (and bit-depth?) as the x32. Since the x32 must be the master clock you can’t allow windows to try and change the samplerate.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
When I first started using my X32 I experienced something similar. The problem was that I was using a usb cable that was way too long. Now I use the shortest one I can find and all is well.

Keith
-------------------------------------------------- Sent from my PDP-11

Contributor - Level 2
Keith Brown;158506 wrote:
When I first started using my X32 I experienced something similar. The problem was that I was using a usb cable that was way too long. Now I use the shortest one I can find and all is well.
Keith

Ah... mine is on a usb extension, so I can have the computer in the next room (no fan noise), with the usb going thru the wall, and also, the x32 is on a rolling desk, so I can get behind it.

Contributor - Level 2
Is that a proper active USB extension? Otherwise there is bound to be trouble if it just a passive extension lead. Smiley Sad

Contributor - Level 2
Richard YClark;158522 wrote:
Is that a proper active USB extension? Otherwise there is bound to be trouble if it just a passive extension lead. Smiley Sad

Would an active extension add latency or other issues?
Seems it would, but I really have no idea.
https://superuser.com/questions/1311272/how-do-usb-3-0-hubs-and-usb-extension-cables-effect-latency-...

Contributor - Level 2
No. Why would it? It is only boosting the levels (and possibly adding EQ) to make sure that adequate signal appears at the other end of a long cable. There is no signal conversion, buffering or A/D/A involved to add time delays AFAIAA.

Volunteer Moderator
Active usb extenders are actually a single port usb hub on a cable, so any micro delay you’d get from a normal usb hub would be the same using an active usb cable. Some usb hubs are better than others

Richard YClark;158556 wrote:
No. Why would it? It is only boosting the levels (and possibly adding EQ) to make sure that adequate signal appears at the other end of a long cable. There is no signal conversion, buffering or A/D/A involved to add time delays AFAIAA.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Robert Lofgren;158559 wrote:
Active usb extenders are actually a single port usb hub on a cable, so any micro delay you’d get from a normal usb hub would be the same using an active usb cable. Some usb hubs are better than others

Yes, there is store and forward. No free lunch. Receive data, re-transmit.

Contributor - Level 2
Yes but not any delay/latency that would worry you in the audio sense, only a few microseconds at the most. Smiley Happy
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors