TimPadrick Super Contributor - Level 1 2017-05-29

2017-05-29

Possible S32 Firmware virus?

I just downloaded the firmware for all the X32 and X-Air gear - except the S32 firmware - Avira Antivirus says it is infected an will not allow the download.

• 0 Kudos
  • 16 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Possible S32 Firmware virus?

Raphael Becker-Foss;125316 wrote:
This is no Avira issue. It's a sloppy programming issue.

I disagree. One of my apps, X32 Scene Parser also had a false positive back in Dec 2014. After some research I found out I had to send the app through an online check which resulted in file that I had to include with my files (see https://sourceforge.net/projects/x32sceneparser/files/). I knew that my code was clean, and I've always released as open-source. Since then all my other apps fortunately have not had this happen. But it can happen - and it has nothing to do with the programming.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

Ya, sloppy programming as well. The thing is, you are not a professional, you don't have to know which code needs verification and which does not. Behringer has to. If you put a file in your software package that is named Tr/Dropper.Gen, then chances are more than high that this will cause problems.
What makes this even worse is, that this was a problem for years now. And nothing got changed. There is no way to sweettalk this. Just like with the X-USB/DN32 USB driver signature desaster.
Triber Moderator

Raphael Becker-Foss;125316 wrote:
This is no Avira issue. It's a sloppy programming issue.

I hate to tell you Raphael, but even Avira themselves told us that this was a mistake on their part. Their software literally flags anything that isn't recognized in their system. None of the other virus scanners we tried using produced a results like Avira did.
Michael Lapke
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

That's beside the point. Even if that's the case, it still IS an issue, and as the publisher of this software it is YOUR issue. If you know about this and all it takes is to tell Avira about it, how can it be that this doesn't get remedied? Same with the driver signatures. You know I am a fan of the X32 system and an active user of the M32 ecosystem. I use and like a lot of your gear. But you have to do something about this software stuff. The operating systems are as they are, the virus scanners are as they are. As professionals, you have to know that stuff and you have to programm your software so it works. Other big players do it, other much smaller players do it - why can't you?
Triber Moderator

Raphael Becker-Foss;125326 wrote:
That's beside the point. Even if that's the case, it still IS an issue, and as the publisher of this software it is YOUR issue. If you know about this and all it takes is to tell Avira about it, how can it be that this doesn't get remedied? Same with the driver signatures. Excuses, but no actions. You know I am a fan of the X32 system and an active user of the M32 ecosystem. I use and like a lot of your gear. But you have to do something about this software stuff. The operating systems are as they are, the virus scanners are as they are. As professionals, you have to know that stuff and you have to programm your software so it works. Other big players do it, other much smaller players do it - why can't you?

We certainly appreciate your support of all our product Raphael, just like we do for all our customers. It's because of people like you that we are able to do what we do. That being said, in this instance we respectfully disagree with your conclusions.

As shown in post #8 in this topic thread, this was admitted as a false positive and Avira are fixing the problem on their end. There was never anything unsafe about our program software/apps, and in fact Avira's software is the one that mistakenly reported this false positive, so that's our fault?

As for the latest drivers being digitally signed, we've just recently put the latest (v4.11) X-USB drivers on our X32 / M32 pages for people to download. They are digitally signed, as we promised they would be. Yes, it took a little longer than expected but that delay was due to more problems than just getting our new driver digitally signed, which I'm not going to get into again here on the forum. No excuses, that's just how it happened.

When all is said and done, these issues are resolved. Please let us all put this to rest and more forward amicably. Smiley Wink
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Michael,
thanks for your post and explanations - it's great news that the new drivers are out! I will check them out tomorrow.

Greetings, Raphael
Contributor - Level 2

Michael Lapke;125331 wrote:
As for the latest drivers being digitally signed, we've just recently put the latest (v4.11) X-USB drivers on our X32 / M32 pages for people to download. They are digitally signed, as we promised they would be....

Hi Michael,
What about the USB/Firewire card owners? Will we be getting a new USB ASIO driver.
I can't say I have any certain issue because of my infrequent use, but with all the issues fixed with the new drivers for the USB only card, I can't help to imagine mine isn't affected by some of them.

Thanks,
Jeff