Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Questions about my intended use of XR18 in permanent install

I plan to install an XR18 in a situation where basic settings will be mostly set-and-forget, while a few frequently used controls will be mapped to an external midi device (Akai MPD226).

I have a few questions about using the XR18 this way.

1. If I map a fader to a midi control, and that fader is stereo linked to another fader in the X-Air software, will moving the MIDI control still move both faders, as it does with linked channels when moving faders in the software? Same with mutes and other linked controls?

2. Does the XR18 need to always be connected to the X-Air-Edit software? Or does it retain settings when the software is disconnected? What about after a power cycle?

Ideally, I would like to set up basic settings in the software myself, and then have regular users be able to just turn on the XR18 and the midi device, without having to use the software. Is this possible?
ChrisHarris Contributor - Level 2 2017-04-23

2017-04-23

Questions about my intended use of XR18 in permanent install

I plan to install an XR18 in a situation where basic settings will be mostly set-and-forget, while a few frequently used controls will be mapped to an external midi device (Akai MPD226).

1. If I map a fader to a midi control, and that fader is stereo linked to another fader in the X-Air software, will moving the MIDI control still move both faders, as it does with linked channels when moving faders in the software? Same with mutes and other linked controls?

2. Does the XR18 need to always be connected to the X-Air-Edit software? Or does it retain settings when the software is disconnected? What about after a power cycle?

Ideally, I would like to set up basic settings in the software myself, and then have regular users be able to just turn on the XR18 and the midi device, without having to use the software. Is this possible?

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Questions about my intended use of XR18 in permanent install

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. What you are planning to do with the XR18 is very doable. Let me answer your questions

Yes, you control one channel strip of a linked pair and the X-Air engine will take care of the other channel strip.

No, you can control the XR18 with either a midi device or another OSC app/device.

Yes it is possible
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Settings are retained

I'll be presumptious1 and expand on Paul's post a tiny bit: If your settings don't need to change, you can run the XR18 with no controller devices at all -- neither MIDI nor OSC.

As long as you don't set it to mute on power-down, I believe it will retain the settings from the last time it was on. That's how I use mine at home much of the time.

Note: 1 Expanding on Paul is somewhat risky, as his knowledge of all things X is encyclopedic. I hope I got this right.
-Tom Williams
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

This is great news! Thanks to you both!
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Thomas Williams;122303 wrote:
Note: 1 Expanding on Paul is somewhat risky, as his knowledge of all things X is encyclopedic. I hope I got this right.

No risk Tom. You are correct - and I'm not infallable.

But why would anyone pay that much for something that the user would never change? The church I grew up at tried a similar "solution". Someone sold them on the idea that a black-box could be just turned on and it would solve all their sound problems. After a couple of years of use, they realized that they had placed their faith in the wrong solution and went back to having someone control a normal mixer. There are too many variables for a black-box method to work.

But a simplified interface is possible using either midi or OSC.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

I have an XR16 installed in a venue where for day to day operation it is preset to just provide a wired mic and a wireless mic with levels preset to provide a decent bit of PA when used close up and a cable for plugging in external playback devices like phones etc.. This system is just turned on when needed for meetings and simple shows by the caretaker.

But it is there ready and waiting for more advanced gigs when I or one or two others will turn up and set up a full PA mix for a small group with vocal mics, DIs, couple of monitors and a pair of large active speakers controlled from a laptop or tablet.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Yeah, I have no doubt that I'll occasionally use ours for other purposes, and the computer interface is very convenient and familiar for me. But, for day-to-day use, we'll only be controlling the volume from two stereo audio sources and one microphone for announcements. For this setup, 4 faders and 4 mutes on the MPD226 should be plenty of control: 1 each for the two stereo audio sources, one for the mic channel, and one for the main mix.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Paul Vannatto;122307 wrote:
But why would anyone pay that much for something that the user would never change?
The keyword there is "never." I can envision some applications in which things would rarely change -- a my living room keyboard setup for example. Or most any automix conference facility....
-Tom Williams
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

This is good news. I have been doing this with fingers crossed. We have a small church and it is good to know if I am away the set up will work as is. I Safe guard its wifi by using a AirPort Extreme with a hidden network.
I have a couple of folk who can confidently turn the system on and it is useable. Well done Behringer.
Behringer XR16 & XR12, iPad Air2, 2008 Mac Book Pro, 2016 iMac21"
Contributor - Level 2

Chris Harris;122299 wrote:

I might just add to remember and use the Snapshot feature as well. Get your settings where you want them and snapshot them to save them to a backup memory location, and also to disk for a safety copy. Can use snaps a simple version control system also I guess.