Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Routing help?

So this has me scratching my head a little bit.

Im going to be touring with my band this fall. We previously used the x32 rack in conjunction with a a PA system as a mobile PA because we didn't trust small venue sound reinforcement. I built the routing and ran the sound for the last tour, and despite a few hitches, managed to wrap my head around the routing.

This time around, we're using the x32 as a monitoring and direct out solution for vocals, kick and snare, and a submix of our keyboard backing tracks.

Here's what I need... Individual monitoring for two vocalists (one monitor each), a monitor for the keyboard backing track submix (tracks are submixed in Reaper and summed through a mono channel out to the X32), and a click track (output sourced from Reapers metronome) on a separate channel from the previous 3. So that's four separate outs for monitoring, all sourced from the DAW out to the x32. All of those also need to be routed to separate individual DI's to be mixed in the FOH, so that's four separate direct outputs. In addition to that, I need the kick and the snare to go out to FOH on separate channels as well.

Im sure there are a bunch of ways to do this, but Im coming up blank trying to get it to work, and apparently all the knowledge I had about routing in the x32 flew out the window the second I tried to make this happen.

Can anyone help me out with what Im doing wrong here and point me in the right direction to get this rolling? I don't know what it is about the x32 rack, but for some reason I get overwhelmed with the feature set trying to route with it.

Thanks!
Tags (1)
MortSubite Contributor - Level 2 2015-06-21

2015-06-21

Routing help?

So this has me scratching my head a little bit.

Im going to be touring with my band this fall. We previously used the x32 rack in conjunction with a a PA system as a mobile PA because we didn't trust small venue sound reinforcement. I built the routing and ran the sound for the last tour, and despite a few hitches, managed to wrap my head around the routing.

This time around, we're using the x32 as a monitoring and direct out solution for vocals, kick and snare, and a submix of our keyboard backing tracks.

Here's what I need... Individual monitoring for two vocalists (one monitor each), a monitor for the keyboard backing track submix (tracks are submixed in Reaper and summed through a mono channel out to the X32), and a click track (output sourced from Reapers metronome) on a separate channel from the previous 3. So that's four separate outs for monitoring, all sourced from the DAW out to the x32. All of those also need to be routed to separate individual DI's to be mixed in the FOH, so that's four separate direct outputs. In addition to that, I need the kick and the snare to go out to FOH on separate channels as well.

Im sure there are a bunch of ways to do this, but Im coming up blank trying to get it to work, and apparently all the knowledge I had about routing in the x32 flew out the window the second I tried to make this happen.

Can anyone help me out with what Im doing wrong here and point me in the right direction to get this rolling? I don't know what it is about the x32 rack, but for some reason I get overwhelmed with the feature set trying to route with it.

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Routing help?

Hi Mort,

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest the easiest way to help you is for you to save your scene file and attach it (at bottom of post is a Manage Attachments). Then one of us can help you with the routing.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

Something I forgot to mention is that vocals are being processed in the DAW as well.
So in total, it's four mics in, two vocal mics going through the DAW for processing, a kick and snare going through their respective x32 inputs and channel strips, a backing track coming out of the DAW and click coming out of the DAW.

This is what I came up with (see the attached routing cfg file)

Four individual aux outs for monitor mixes, and another 5 individual xlr outs for the FOH DI's on 9 separate mix busses giving individual gain and processing control over every individual out.

The only problem I could see arising with this is the effects in the monitor mixes feeding back, but Im not entirely sure how I'd do this otherwise. Can I send a signal from a physical x32 input elsewhere before it's routed into the card, like a pre-card tap or something? If this works without feeding back, Im not entirely worried about it... I'll have x32edit on stage, as well as the Mixing Station app in my pocket, so I should be able to handle most monitoring feedback issues from the stage, unless we're somewhere absurdly loud or something, but it is something I've wondered about the x32 and have never really found a definitive answer for.

One thing that does concern me is that the output from the physical outs of these channels is much louder than what Im metering on the x32. This was an issue last tour as well, where I'd hand out my submixed line outs to DI to the FOH and every engineer had to dial back their gain staging a lot. Im noticing this in my test runs with this configuration as well. Is there some sort of post fader gain stage Im not aware of? Do the outputs run hot or something?

Thanks in advance!
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Mort,

I had a quick look at your routing preset. Unfortunately the preset only provides the routing from the Routing screens, not the channel assignments (have a look at the routing file using a text editor). Because this is not a simple routing setup, it is very difficult to follow the routing paths without all info. So I'll have to bow out at this point.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

Mort Subite;52661 wrote:
Something I forgot to mention is that vocals are being processed in the DAW as well.
So in total, it's four mics in, two vocal mics going through the DAW for processing, a kick and snare going through their respective x32 inputs and channel strips, a backing track coming out of the DAW and click coming out of the DAW.

This is what I came up with (see the attached routing cfg file)

Four individual aux outs for monitor mixes, and another 5 individual xlr outs for the FOH DI's on 9 separate mix busses giving individual gain and processing control over every individual out.

The only problem I could see arising with this is the effects in the monitor mixes feeding back, but Im not entirely sure how I'd do this otherwise. Can I send a signal from a physical x32 input elsewhere before it's routed into the card, like a pre-card tap or something? If this works without feeding back, Im not entirely worried about it... I'll have x32edit on stage, as well as the Mixing Station app in my pocket, so I should be able to handle most monitoring feedback issues from the stage, unless we're somewhere absurdly loud or something, but it is something I've wondered about the x32 and have never really found a definitive answer for.

One thing that does concern me is that the output from the physical outs of these channels is much louder than what Im metering on the x32. This was an issue last tour as well, where I'd hand out my submixed line outs to DI to the FOH and every engineer had to dial back their gain staging a lot. Im noticing this in my test runs with this configuration as well. Is there some sort of post fader gain stage Im not aware of? Do the outputs run hot or something?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a guess at the level difference you are experiencing. The outputs you are using are line level and they are being connected to microphone inputs at FOH or instrument level inputs at a DI box. This COULD be what is happening.