Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Routing input for recording but not main XR16

Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired an XR16 and I'm trying to figure out how to route my inputs.  What I'm trying to do is to route my drums and bass inputs so that we can use the recording feature, but not have those inputs be heard in the main output.  For instance, we don't want drums to be heard over the PA speakers but want them as part of the recording.  Is this possible and if so, what am I doing wrong?  I have tried to turn off the Main in the channel but then the recorder doesn't pick it up.  Thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers.

quackerjeff Contributor - Level 1 2020-04-29

2020-04-29

Routing input for recording but not main XR16

Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired an XR16 and I'm trying to figure out how to route my inputs.  What I'm trying to do is to route my drums and bass inputs so that we can use the recording feature, but not have those inputs be heard in the main output.  For instance, we don't want drums to be heard over the PA speakers but want them as part of the recording.  Is this possible and if so, what am I doing wrong?  I have tried to turn off the Main in the channel but then the recorder doesn't pick it up.  Thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Routing input for recording but not main XR16

I'm just getting used to a new-to-me XR18 myself, but I'm pretty sure that you'll get the expected outcome as long as the line outs to USB are set to PRE-fader.  That way you'll get the line out sent to USB then just mute/lower the slider for the channels to get the audio out of your mains.

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

The XR18 has 18x18 USB audio. The XR16 has USB recording of LR mix (or playback of stereo).

I don't believe that it is possible for you to do what you want on an XR16...sorry about that

Logic Pro X 10.4.8, 10.5.0, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5|10.15.2
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Using the Xair Edit program:

1. Top row - Select the Channel icon

2. Click on the respective channel (1-16)

3. On the Main Out panel (top right of the Channel Work-area) uncheck "LR Main Stereo"

This will stop the signal going to the mains, but still have it available for recording via MixTools (USB). Hope this helps.