Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

S16 and the X32: Additional channels, or replace?

I am confused about the specifications for the S16 and the X32. I see numbers waved around such as 96 channels over AES50. Yet the X32 seems to only have the ability to address 32 XLR inputs.

So what does that mean if an S16 is connected to an X32?

1a.. Do I now have 32 XLR builtin + 16 XLR extenal = 48 total XLR inputs?

1b. And if so, how do I address those additional 16 ports since the console itself only seems to have direct control over 32 channels via the 1-16 / 17-32 buttons?

2a. Or do the S16 ports overlay / replace the X32 ports such that setting the S16 to 1-16 makes it replace ports 1-16 on the X32, and no additional ports are provided from the snake?

2b. If this is the case are ALL 16 ports on the back of the console automatically replaced, by the S16, or is it possible to select only a subgroup of console channels to replace, such as say replace 1-5 using the S16, but still use 6-16 on the X32 input panel?
DaleMahalko Contributor - Level 2 2016-06-29

2016-06-29

S16 and the X32: Additional channels, or replace?

I am confused about the specifications for the S16 and the X32. I see numbers waved around such as 96 channels over AES50. Yet the X32 seems to only have the ability to address 32 XLR inputs.

So what does that mean if an S16 is connected to an X32?

1a.. Do I now have 32 XLR builtin + 16 XLR extenal = 48 total XLR inputs?

1b. And if so, how do I address those additional 16 ports since the console itself only seems to have direct control over 32 channels via the 1-16 / 17-32 buttons?

2a. Or do the S16 ports overlay / replace the X32 ports such that setting the S16 to 1-16 makes it replace ports 1-16 on the X32, and no additional ports are provided from the snake?

2b. If this is the case are ALL 16 ports on the back of the console automatically replaced, by the S16, or is it possible to select only a subgroup of console channels to replace, such as say replace 1-5 using the S16, but still use 6-16 on the X32 input panel?

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: S16 and the X32: Additional channels, or replace?

Actually AES50 can only handle 48 channels but in both directions ie. 48 in and 48 return.

The X32 can only mix a total of 40 channels internally. Basically on the full sized mixer 32 XLRs and 8 Auxes. However it can take inputs from many more, hence all the different sized stage boxes.

So 1a. Yes you will have a total of 48 available XLR inputs but you cannot use all of them at once.

1b. The comprehensive internal routing of the X32 takes care of sending any of the local 32, AES A, AES B and Aux inputs to any of the 40 mixing channels.

2a. No they don't overlay or replace any of the local X32 inputs but are all available to be selected by the routing options.

2b. There is a routing restriction whereby only banks of 8 inputs can be selected as sources in the routing pages.

Hope that helps. You can download the X32-Edit app and see how all the routing and channel options are laid out without having an X32 to hand.
Contributor - Level 3

Re: S16 and the X32: Additional channels, or replace?

^This.

Some more info:

AES50 is 96 channels (48x48) over a single cat5 cable if the channels are 48kHz 24-bit. If you were using a pro series console which operates at 96kHz, then you'd only get 24x24 channels per cable.

It helps to think of "inputs" and "channels" as 2 separate things.

When you add them up, you can connect up to 169 "inputs" to a single full-size x32 console. 48 from AES50A + 48 from AES50B + 32 from local preamps, +6 from local aux ins + 2 from the USB 2-track playback + 32 digital inputs from the expansion card (+TB, but I'm ignoring that for now.)

Of these 168 "inputs" you can connect, the X32 (all sizes: they all have the same DSP) has enough DSP to process (to varying degrees) up to 40 of them as channels to be part of your mix(es.) The USB 2-track playback is fixed as aux7+8. The remaining 38 channels can get their signals from whatever local or remote preamps, aux ins or card in, which are assigned in 4x blocks-of-8 and 1x block-of-6. IE you could do all 32 local preamps+your 6x aux ins, which is the default. You could do 8x S16, 8x local, 16x card returns, 6x aux ins. You could do 16x local, 16x S16, and 6x from the card ins.

You can change where signals are sourced from very quickly using scenes, snippets, or routing presets (the recall of which you could assign to the user define buttons if you want really fast recall without using the scenes menus.)

Once you've got your 38 inputs assigned, you can change which channel is being sourced from which input on the channel's config page. This way you can feed multiple channels from the same preamp etc.

The X32 allows signals to be passed through from inputs to outputs (local XLR outs, card outs, and AES50 outputs, and allows you to control the gain and +48V of the preamps) even if those signals aren't part of your 40 channel mix.