Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

S32 with a Midas M32

Will a Behringer S32 work with a Midas M32? What if any are the major differences?
Tags (1)
KevinFeeley Contributor - Level 1 2017-03-15

2017-03-15

S32 with a Midas M32

Will a Behringer S32 work with a Midas M32? What if any are the major differences?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: S32 with a Midas M32

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. Yes the S32 will work with the M32 console, since it had the identical DSP engine as its X32 brother. The difference of course are the preamps. Whether the "Midas designed" preamps in the S32 is right for your particular application can only be determined by you listening to the output. I recently had an opportunity of using a console with the true Midas preamps. As I mentioned at the time, the difference was like the difference between standard bed sheets and silk ones - the latter being rich and smooth. Smiley Very Happy
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 1

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the welcome and swift reply. I am curious. Why would the preamps in the S32 be used as opposed to the preamps in the M32? I noticed that the S32 does not have gain controls on it as the s16 does. I am asking because I want to purchase an M32. I'm just trying to save a few $$ if I can.

Kevin
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Kevin,

You do realize that the preamps are an integral part of the XLR input of both the S32 and M32. Therefore if you plug a mic into the back of the M32, you will be using a Midas preamp, whereas if you plug a mic into the S32, you will be using a Midas designed preamp (which is identical to the X32 preamps).

The S16 does have the ability of controlling both the gains and the phantom of that stagebox. But most of us rarely use that interface. Instead we use the controls in the console (X32 or M32) to remotely control those preamps. The S32 is the newer line of stageboxes, similar to the SD8 and SD16 that also do not have the preamp (local) controls (mainly because we rarely use them).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

^this. Also the preamp controls and internal clock option on the s16/dl16 allow it be used as a stand-alone interface, eg for getting signals to an adat recorder, or to another aes50 interface card without needing a console.

X32 series (full size, compact, producer, rack) s16, s32, sd16 and sd8 all use "Midas designed" preamps.

M32 series (full size and m32r) dl16 and dl32 all use the "proper" Midas Pro series preamps and ADCs. They (unlike the "Midas designed" preamps in the X32 and S stageboxes) get the signature Midas "soft clipping" (compression on 2nd harmonic) sound when you drive them into saturation (and you can then use the digital trim to bring that sound down to a sensible level for the rest of your gain structure.) The m/dl series also have cleaner outputs (an extra 10dB of headroom before distortion c/f the X32 and S stageboxes.)

So while the s series stageboxes will work with the m32, the preamps in the s32 won't sound the same as those in the m32 when you hit them hard.

If you want the "Midas" sound you need to use the "proper" Midas preamps, either using the m32's local pres or getting a dl16/dl32. The cheap way of doing this is getting the dl32 for your io, then using a cheaper X32 as your dsp. However if you save some money by replacing the m32 with an X32 you miss out on the m32's better faders, encoders, screen angle, better aux outs, Midas badge, and more importantly, you have to put up with the x32's phone holder. It also means if you do have to use local preamps, they'll not do the soft clipping.
Super Contributor - Level 2

The iPhone holder is removable - just peel the rubber pad out of it to reveal the fasteners.
Indianapolis, IN