Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Sending sidechained effects to the P16

Contributor - Level 2
Hello, New M32 user here with board running mostly the way however I'm scratching my head over getting sidechain effects (vox in this case) sent to the P16 and reducing the number of P16 channels necessary.

Currently I have FX1 L and FX3 L (reverb and delay) selected to send effects to the P16 for our lead vocalist but this is taking up two P16 channels plus the original dry one. It seems to me like there should be a better way of doing this whereby all of the FX sends or returns can be directed to a single P16 channel (ie. reverb and delay on single P16 channel). Is there some way I can group the effects returns to use one channel on the P16? There are additional effects that I need to employ and I'm afraid of running out of P16 channels as I still have the remaining band members to think about.

Thanks, Bill
Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Sending sidechained effects to the P16

Contributor - Level 3
Bill Fleming;157048 wrote:
Hello, New M32 user here with board running mostly the way however I'm scratching my head over getting sidechain effects (vox in this case) sent to the P16 and reducing the number of P16 channels necessary.

Currently I have FX1 L and FX3 L (reverb and delay) selected to send effects to the P16 for our lead vocalist but this is taking up two P16 channels plus the original dry one. It seems to me like there should be a better way of doing this whereby all of the FX sends or returns can be directed to a single P16 channel (ie. reverb and delay on single P16 channel). Is there some way I can group the effects returns to use one channel on the P16? There are additional effects that I need to employ and I'm afraid of running out of P16 channels as I still have the remaining band members to think about.

Thanks, Bill

If you have a spare Mix Bus you can send the effects returns to that and then send the Mix bus to the P16.

Super Contributor - Level 2
A take off using Kevin's suggestion. One nice benefit of a P16M system is having all the mixbuses and matrix ch's available to use as single p16 ch's. They generally are not needed otherwise like they would be with traditional monitors. So I assume (like Kevin) you will have at least 1 spare mixbus. You can do away with 3 p16 ch's (the 2 fx returns and the vocal input ch itself) using a single mixbus that is dedicated just for that persons vocal. Say you have mixbus 12 open, send only her post fader vocal input ch to it, no other input ch's. Also send the fx RETURN ch's of both the fx desired to it. Assign Mixbus 12 to say p16 ch 10. Ch 10 then becomes her vocal ch with fx. You will have to adjust the balances in the mix bus a bit but that should work.

Contributor - Level 2
Cool, I'll give that a shot.

I'm also going to try a similar setup for 9 drum mics though not expecting to use any effects here, but plan on sending a linked pair to two channels on the P16.

Bill Fleming;157580 wrote:
Cool, I'll give that a shot.

I'm also going to try a similar setup for 9 drum mics though not expecting to use any effects here, but plan on sending a linked pair to two channels on the P16.

I've done similar many times. I usually leave the kick and snare as single p16 ch's and then put the other drums hat and cymbals in a linked pair of stereo buses as 2 other p16 ch's. Again it depends on how many ch's NEED their own P16 ch or not. You can, with some tweaking, get a pretty decent drum mix this way and save p16 ch's.

Sending sidechained effects to the P16 - issue with DL16

Contributor - Level 2
Due to the holidays and flu season etc. the need to move the vocals to a mixbus got pushed down the priority list as I ended up running into another issue with the effected vocals today after standing up a newly arrived DL16 (back-ordered from November). I was able to get the DL16 mostly implemented - (working by myself today so couldn't test drum mics (though a test mic seemed to work fine on an unused input on the stage box)).

The configuration is fairly straightforward, single M32 makes a single AES50 connection to a single DL16 and uses DL16 inputs for stage mics, connect Ultranet switch to DL16. Once I understood the configurations available on the DL16 I was able to get my routing in place so I could run my mains off of the DL16 and get the P16s working again as part of the migration.

All appears to be fine except the DirectOut P16 channels which send my singer's effects are now dry though the effects are fine through the mains (which actually come through matrix 1 and 2) and are now connected to XLR Out 7 and 8 on the DL16. Is it possible that sending the effected vox into a mixbus is going to fix this? It just seems strange that the effected vox worked fine when Ultranet was running from the M32 and by way of the DL16 they're not. I'm hoping to get back there on Monday to take another look at this but would love to get your ideas on what may be missing.

FWIW, I took pics of all of the routing screens in case anyone thought it could be a routing issue. But I feel pretty good that I was able to get it working at all as I did have to wrestle with the documentation and routing configs a bit before I got it working.

The Ultranet port on the DL16 and most other stageboxes uses what is assigned to aes50a 33-48 and the M32 ultranet port uses the ultranet out menu assignments-these can end up being 2 different things, by mistake or on purpose, and is my first guess as to what might be happening. That ability is a big plus when and if someone ever wants it as it can offer different ultranet "zones". That where 2 different groups of p16 ch's can be output from the desk and stagebox ultranet ports. So have a look at your AES50A out 33-48 section and make sure it matches the ultranet out menu that originally gave you what you wanted. Default settings for aes50 33-48 on the M32 would be 'ultranet 1-8 and ultranet 9-16' (looking from X32-Edit) but could have gotten changed. The only other way they might be different is if the DL16 was set for modes 4-10 somehow. One other thought is making sure you have the latest firmware installed.

EDIT: If it doesn't end up an easy fix, posting the scene routing will be a help.

Contributor - Level 2
I'm sending along a few routing pics; though now I'm wondering if I have the AES50A 33-48 ports mapped incorrectly - currently they are set to P1-16 (see attached). Also, FW is 3.09

The routing looks correct as far as aes50 33-48 goes. It's set like it should be. I can't really see what each p16 ch has assigned though. Routed like that, whatever each p16 ch 1-16 is set up for should come out the same from the ultranet ports of the M32 AND DL16 to a P16M. The aes50a out 9-16 and 25-32 look a bit odd though. Usually they are both (by default) set to "out 9-16" Set for aes50a 9-16 and aes50a 25-32 like it is now will send incoming aes50a 9-16 back out the DL16 xlr's (if the DL is set for mode 2/+8) and will send incoming aes50a 25-32 from the adat out 9-16 port. If "out 9-16" was used there instead, what is assigned in the outputs 1-16 routing menu for ch's 9-16 would exit the XLR's of the DL16.

Volunteer Moderator
Hey Bill, it would be far easier for Gary (or anyone) to verify/troubleshoot if he had your scene file. Here are the instructions to upload your scene file.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors