Recording

Highlighted

Setup For Not Having Compression On Montitor Bus

Contributor - Level 2
Hello,

I need some help with figuring out how to set up my monitor buss so that there’s no channel compression. I’ve read that I need to set it up to be post eq. But, unless I’m wrong, that would mean that the eq settings on that channel would be in the single path to the monitor buss. I want my monitor buss to be post-gain only and absolutely nothing else.

Also, for what it’s worth, I tried to search the forum for answers and I didn’t come up with anything that sounded like what I need,

Thanks!!!
Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Setup For Not Having Compression On Montitor Bus

Contributor - Level 2
if you have enough spare channels...route the input to an additional channel for the monitor buss.

for example:

input 1 goes to channel 1 for the main system
input 1 also goes to channel 17 for the monitors

this way you can eq/compress them differently as needed.

Volunteer Moderator
Jeff Bernhardt;157531 wrote:
I want my monitor buss to be post-gain only and absolutely nothing else.

I think you want the channel sends to the mixbus. If the channel source is local (XLR on the back of the console, and there is no reassignments, then the Input will give you the tap immediately after the preamp (gain and phantom). If there are reassignments to the channel source (eg. Ch 1 source as AES50 A7), then the closest tap would be pre EQ (which would include preamp and gate), as long as the compressor is not set as pre EQ (which switches the order of the compressor and EQ in the signal path).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 3
Earliest ch>bus tap point you can set in "In\LC." The signal will be affected by +48V, gain, (using a local\remote preamp) digital trim (if it's a digital input signal, line input, or gain-splitting is enabled,) polarity inversion, line delay, and HPF.

It won't be affected by the channel's gate, insert point, peq, compression, or fader.

Contributor - Level 2
Thank you so much for the responses! But I’m not 100% clear on how I should have it set up. So, maybe you can dumb it down a bit for an armature like me. LOL! I’ve been using my X32 nearly every weekend for three years, but I don’t get to much in the weeds with it. However, I got new monitors and a “pro” friend of mine was helping me ring them out and he noticed that the channel compressions are in the signal path to the monitor buss. He’s not familiar enough with the desk to change it and we didn’t have the time to hunt it down.

So, if you could tell exactly what I need to do, that would be so great! I use the S32 digital snake, BTW.

And I apologize for being so dumb in the subject.

Contributor - Level 3
Go down to the 4th layer on the LHS to select the bus master layer. Select bus1. Go to the config tab. 3rd encoder turn to select In\LC, push to confirm. This will change it so that all channels feeding bus1 (and bus2) do so at the In\LC point, as opposed to the post-eq or whatever you had before. NB this will reset the channel sends back to -inf, so you'll have to dial the monitor mixes in again.

Alternatively, you can select an individual channel, go over to the sends tab, then use the encoders under the screen to change the send point for that individual channel to a particular (pair of) buses. This method is more flexible, as you can have different channels feeding the same bus at different tap points, but takes longer to set up.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks, Craig!

If I use the second method you described, which preferable since I only want to do this on vocals (AND don’t want to impact all my scenes for about 2 dozen bands)...... Would I set the channels to In/LC? I’d look to see if that’s an option, but I don’t have my consol handy. Also, is it safe to assume that if I set the vocal channels to In/LC that everything will be the same at FOH?

Contributor - Level 3
Yep, if you want some things at one tap point and others at another you'll need to do the 2nd method. Actually what's probably most efficient is to use the first method to set up what you want *most* channels' tap point to be for the relevant buses, then use the 2nd method for the individual ones you want to set differently.

If you've got scenes with different routings\taps then when those scenes are recalled the settings will change to whatever the settings are in the scenes, unless you safe the bus sends parameters before recalling.

Yes, everything will stay the same at FOH.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks so much, Craig! This is perfect.

I know that I’ll have to do this to the channels that I need to do it on, on each my saved scenes. But if option one wipes out my monitor mixes on each scene, I’ll have to do option 2. The last thing I need is for my monitor levels to be wiped out. This is because most of those bands I do sound for I have dialed in to a point of doing no sound check.... Just do a line check and hit the lights and make minor adjustments as we go.

Thanks again!!

Contributor - Level 2
here's the thing though...
do you *really* want to send an uneq'd vocal out to the monitors?

if you want to go through and redo your sends to be pre-comp...i'd probably just set the comps to post eq and set the send point to the monitors post eq...which i imagine would retain the eq but send it out before the comp.

if you want to really do it "right" then you'd setup a duplicate channel for each vocal going to the monitors...this way you (or someone else) can tailor the monitor mix "perfectly" for each vocalist.

but to be honest, it sounds like you just want to send pre-compression because someone mentioned it. it sounds like it's currently post-compression, has always been post-compression...and it doesn't seem like that has been a problem with your vocalists so until one of them complains just keep it as it is? that would be my suggestion.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors