Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

The State of things

There was some discussion a week or so a go on other forums on how the saving of the console state works especially if there is an unforeseen outage and reboot of the console. Although, sudden outages if adequate precautions are taken should not be a real issue in the run of things - it may be useful for people to understand how this actually works.

This was Jan's comment on the situation

"
•Upon booting, X32 returns to the exact, last stored temporary state it was in before the power cycle
•When the last stored state includes a stored or loaded scene, than that scene number will be displayed in the top status bar
•Saving all (apprx. 10k) parameters to flash, is done by a background process and may take up to two minutes worst-case; or 5s when Safe Shutdown by pressing HOME is used

Best,
Jan Duwe

Senior Engineer Conceptualization
Music Group Services EU GmbH"

However, this has been interpreted differently

1. that the background saving of the state occurs up to every two minutes - the majority view
2. that the background saving of the state takes UP to two minutes to complete.

From my own rough testing I think the latter is the case ( don't mind being wrong!).

What this means in both instances is that on a sudden outage the state of the console will not necessarily be in the last "exact " state when the outage occurred but at the last "exact" state of the last saved state.

What this means with both schools of thought is that when the console reboots you may seem to be on a previous scene to the last one you loaded and the settings of the console may not exactly concur with the settings of this scene.

If the saving of the state every two minutes then you will be in the position of a ( 5 sec duration) snapshot of the state of the console the last time the state was saved which may or not represent the exact state you were in when the console went down.

If the saving of the console in the background is done over a two minute period ( running in background) then the returned state could be more random - In my tests it certainty was but then I was doing fairly "extreme" changes to settings to see if this was the case.

NOW I do NOT think this is a very big issue at all - but I would appreciate it if someone from Behringer would get back and just re-clarify how it does work.

For normal shut down all is OK just remember to do a safe shutdown as the norm.

NickDavis Contributor - Level 2 2014-03-30

2014-03-30

The State of things

There was some discussion a week or so a go on other forums on how the saving of the console state works especially if there is an unforeseen outage and reboot of the console. Although, sudden outages if adequate precautions are taken should not be a real issue in the run of things - it may be useful for people to understand how this actually works.

This was Jan's comment on the situation

"
•Upon booting, X32 returns to the exact, last stored temporary state it was in before the power cycle
•When the last stored state includes a stored or loaded scene, than that scene number will be displayed in the top status bar
•Saving all (apprx. 10k) parameters to flash, is done by a background process and may take up to two minutes worst-case; or 5s when Safe Shutdown by pressing HOME is used

Best,
Jan Duwe

Senior Engineer Conceptualization
Music Group Services EU GmbH"

However, this has been interpreted differently

1. that the background saving of the state occurs up to every two minutes - the majority view
2. that the background saving of the state takes UP to two minutes to complete.

From my own rough testing I think the latter is the case ( don't mind being wrong!).

What this means in both instances is that on a sudden outage the state of the console will not necessarily be in the last "exact " state when the outage occurred but at the last "exact" state of the last saved state.

What this means with both schools of thought is that when the console reboots you may seem to be on a previous scene to the last one you loaded and the settings of the console may not exactly concur with the settings of this scene.

If the saving of the state every two minutes then you will be in the position of a ( 5 sec duration) snapshot of the state of the console the last time the state was saved which may or not represent the exact state you were in when the console went down.

If the saving of the console in the background is done over a two minute period ( running in background) then the returned state could be more random - In my tests it certainty was but then I was doing fairly "extreme" changes to settings to see if this was the case.

NOW I do NOT think this is a very big issue at all - but I would appreciate it if someone from Behringer would get back and just re-clarify how it does work.

For normal shut down all is OK just remember to do a safe shutdown as the norm.

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: The State of things

When I switched from the LS9 to the X32 I studied the, not so big, manual and found the story of the safe shutdown. Because I use computers since the '70 initiate a shutdown is no thing to think about more than it takes to press the buttons. Ok, the yami do this automatically, as it was the case on atari st computers, no shutdown process needed. So, knowing it means accepting it and follow the rule. Simple.....
Because the bigger problem is the time a digital console needs to reboot after an unexpected outageI always use a small UPS. There are several other reasons why it is a good idea to use a UPS. Use one and don't, use safe shutdown and everything is fine.
Contributor - Level 2

yes - not a big issue just interested to resolve how the process works - think I am correct in my understanding but then again maybe not.
Contributor - Level 3

If you are using anything digital you should be powering it thru a UPS. It is cheap insurance and will extend the life of anything you have on it. Amps being the only exception due to the size you would need, but you can use surge suppressors to help them.

Remember that power is like water ,do you want to drink water from just anywhere or use filtered bottled water?
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 2

Yes Glen- we all know this ! The question was simply how it actually works - maybe academic in most cases - but just want definitive clarity on how it works.
( & plus if would never occur is the background saving of the state pointless!)