Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

UI16 or XR16

OK then, I appreciate this is not an unbiased source of information (!) but I've spent some time with Soundcraft fans and I thought for the sake of balance I should ask here.

Why should I buy the Behringer over the soundcraft unit?
Tags (1)
WillPearson Contributor - Level 2 2017-01-12

2017-01-12

UI16 or XR16

OK then, I appreciate this is not an unbiased source of information (!) but I've spent some time with Soundcraft fans and I thought for the sake of balance I should ask here.

Why should I buy the Behringer over the soundcraft unit?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: UI16 or XR16

What is your intended application(s)?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

It's to use in a small church installation with a worship band, 3 singers, a lapel mic and handheld radio mic. The operator will be a guy who is quite computer savvy but doesn't know much about PA, though he's willing to learn. We'll also need to find a work around to play the audio that goes along with video clips from a second laptop and music for before and after etc.

I hear the Behringer unit is less noisy (better pre-amps) but perhaps the interface isn't as good as the soundcraft app (via browser). Play
Volunteer Moderator

The UI has only 12 mic inputs and 6 outputs while the XR has 16 inputs and 8 outputs (actually 10 since the headphone output is assignable as well). In your case inputs doesn't seem to an issue.

Both have a dedicated stereo line input. This will cover your need to connect a computer to the mixer.

The UI can only record/playback 2ch of audio while the xr18 is a true 18x18 recording/playback capable device. This means that your computer can record the service on multiple channels. And you can also get that video audio into the mixer via usb.

The UI has 10dB less input gain (this may not be true since I see different specs depending on where I read) than the XR and this could be an issue with low-output mic's like the sm7b where you need to push the gain.

On the UI the hi-z inputs are only 250k and I find that to be on the low side. I prefer 1M or more.

The XR seem to have more routing and tap-point options than the UI.

Other than the amp-sim on the UI I find the XR to have more/better(?) fx options available.

In the end it comes down to workflow and what suits your way of working. The XR can utilise external hardware to control the mixer and people are writing 3'rd party applications to add to the functionality.

For the application you described it is not a given which one to get unless there are other aspects that may come into play now or in the near future.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

I just ordered XR16 yesterday instead of Ui16 and one of the reasons is the XR has real power cord while Ui has a laptop-type power supply. Not good for carrying around in my opinion.
Plus the XR just seemed better in every feature that mattered to me.
So I hope that was a wise choise....
Super Contributor - Level 2

You chose wisely.

However if you want multitrack recording capability, you'll need to change your order to an XR18.
Indianapolis, IN