JeffBernhardt Contributor - Level 2 2015-11-10

2015-11-10

Uncontrollable Feedback With My x32

I have been using an x32 for nearly a year and I am having serious uncontrollable feedback that I am hoping someone here can help me resolve.

No matter what I do, I have not been able to figure it out. I have tried all of the normal and obvious fixes...... Mic placement, stage monitor placement, stage volume, FOH volume, FOH speaker placement, EQing out offending frequencies. Even if I completely cut out the offending frequencies AND both neighboring frequencies, feedback still occurs at those cut frequencies. Not only that, but even if I shut down all stage monitors and just run FOH, I still get feedback at extremely low volume levels.

Just to give you an idea of how low my volume limit is before feedback.......... I can't even bring my volume up loud enough for vocals to be heard over unmic'd drums! Not only that, but I have even killed all stage monitors and just ran FOH and still couldn't get vocals over unmic'd drums before feedback occurs. That's how low my threshold is before feedback!

I have tried everything and am at my wits end. I'm thinking that maybe the issue is somewhere in how I have it set up. Maybe some sort of accidental "looping" or something that I am doing wrong. I have NEVER had this issue with boards I have used in the past.

FYI..... I have a stereo EQ selected and being inserted on my main outs for FOH and I have an EQ inserted on each one of my AUX sends going to my stage monitors (these EQs take up 4 of the 8 inserts). Under this setup I am able to EQ the mains and EQ each individual stage monitor (should give me everything that I need to EQ out any offending frequencies). I am also running the remaining available 4 inserts for the usual reverb, delay, chorus.....

Does anyone have any ideas?

• 0 Kudos
  • 37 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Uncontrollable Feedback With My x32

So you think these settings would cause feedback? What you are looking at is my faders for the effects returns set at unity (on the left) and "sends on faders" selected on the right. A vocal channel is selected and from left to right there is a touch of reverb, delay and chorus......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1059[/ATTACH]
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Uncontrollable Feedback with X32

Hi I've not read all the reply posts to this question so dont know if you have sorted out the matter, but I get the same problem when connecting a mic into the talk back. The feedback is caused when I fail to switch the external speaker on in the talk back mic menu. What's happening is that the internal talkback mic and external talk back mic are both open and cause the feedback.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

I guess I'll eat some of my suggestions.

I personally discovered a loop I created by accidentally re-sending to the fx bus from the fx returns.

So for sure check for that.

Beyond that I guess you could keep the inputs and returns set to unity and adjust individual channel sends. Plenty of ways of doing it.

But check for any loops and sorry for any confusion.
Owner @ Soundhog Productions, LLC
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Jeff Bernhardt;64259 wrote:
So you think these settings would cause feedback? What you are looking at is my faders for the effects returns set at unity (on the left) and "sends on faders" selected on the right. A vocal channel is selected and from left to right there is a touch of reverb, delay and chorus......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1059[/ATTACH]

I noticed your FX returns are not Linked when I loaded your scene, Factory default they are Linked. What version software are you running?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Ross Costa;64372 wrote:
I noticed your FX returns are not Linked when I loaded your scene, Factory default they are Linked. What version software are you running?

What do you mean by "linked"?

Thanks!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Jon-Paul LeClair;64365 wrote:
I guess I'll eat some of my suggestions.

I personally discovered a loop I created by accidentally re-sending to the fx bus from the fx returns.

So for sure check for that.

Beyond that I guess you could keep the inputs and returns set to unity and adjust individual channel sends. Plenty of ways of doing it.

But check for any loops and sorry for any confusion.

How / where would I look for loops?

Thanks!
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Jeff Bernhardt;64434 wrote:
How / where would I look for loops?

Thanks!

I have been following this thread all along and I downloaded your scene and looked around and expected to see a loop, I didn't see one. But I did see some rather aggressive settings for many other things. I don't know if those settings are because you know what you are doing or because you don't know what you are doing. Is this a full size X32 or one of the other models?

The trick to troubleshooting a problem is called divide and conquer. This is best to do when setup just to test, don't try to do this before or during a show. Have everything setup so you are experiencing the problem. Mute everything then slowly unmute different parts of the mixer. There should be a point where when you unmute one thing that you experience the problem. When you determine what part of the setup/mixer is causing the problem you can drill down to the settings of that part. I would suggest that you start with the monitor system muted and the effects all muted. You need to narrow down where it is happening and then what part of that it casing it to happen. Is it one particular mic is it all mics. If you don't turn on the amps for all of the monitors and all of the house speakers and you listen to the output on headphones do you have the feedback? If you do there is a loop in the board if it only happens with the speakers on does it happen with one particular speaker. Turn on only one and then turn it off again to see if you can narrow it down.

Do you have this problem with all of the effects sends and returns muted?

I just downloaded the scene again to make sure I am not mixing up someone else's problem with yours. You have some rather drastic EQ everywhere I don't know if that is a result of what you are trying to fix or if that is the way you want it to sound. You have all the monitors low cut except mon4 and it looks to me like that is Dean the drummers monitor. You have some channel EQ boosts that seem extreme to me.

Does the X32 have a built-in mic for the talkback section? Do you have the talkback mic on all of the time?

What frequency is the feedback? Do you know how to use the built-in RTA? If you do, use it and tell us what the feedback frequency is.

I don't remember reading in this thread if you mentioned where you are. Maybe someone close to you or a local phone call away can help you if we knew where you are.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Resolved???

Jeff, are you going to keep us in suspense? Did you resolve the issue? What did you do?