Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Using channel faders for the graphic EQ

Contributor - Level 2
Hello all
I was on a show at the weekend but the act brought their sound engineer so I was just representing the venue. The tech was using his own Yamaha QL1 tied into the house system. The desk and a cool feature where he could use the channel faders as the frequency sliders on the inbuilt graphic EQ rather than having to use rotary controls or the touch screen. He said there was a way to do this on the X32 using sends on fader, but I can't work it out.

Is this possible and if so, how? Or was he just a bit confused?

Thanks
Oskar
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Using channel faders for the graphic EQ

Contributor - Level 3
Oskar Gibbons;156294 wrote:
Hello all
I was on a show at the weekend but the act brought their sound engineer so I was just representing the venue. The tech was using his own Yamaha QL1 tied into the house system. The desk and a cool feature where he could use the channel faders as the frequency sliders on the inbuilt graphic EQ rather than having to use rotary controls or the touch screen. He said there was a way to do this on the X32 using sends on fader, but I can't work it out.

Thanks
Oskar

... confused I believe. Sends on Faders is *sends*, not EQ freq's on faders.

It's easy to write an app that will have 31+1 sliders for G/TEQ effects. But if you want to do this from the desk's faders, it'll mess up your audio volumes at the same time... at least momentarily.

-Patrick

Volunteer Moderator
Oskar Gibbons;156294 wrote:
He said there was a way to do this on the X32 using sends on fader, but I can't work it out.

He is actually correct Oskar. It's a feature on the X32 full console and Compact (I believe), where when setup, the right bank of faders become the EQ freq bands. It is something I never use since I have the X32 Rack and I use the parametric EQs mostly. I'll have to do a bit of digging to find the setting to enable this.

Patrick, the OSC commands to enable and position this are:
/‐stat/geqonfdr
/‐stat/geqpos
(page 60)

:edit: Found a Midas M32 video by Erik.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 3
Paul Vannatto;156297 wrote:
He is actually correct Oskar. It's a feature on the X32 full console and Compact (I believe), where when setup, the right bank of faders become the EQ freq bands. It is something I never use since I have the X32 Rack and I use the parametric EQs mostly. I'll have to do a bit of digging to find the setting to enable this.

/‐stat/geqonfdr
/‐stat/geqpos
(page 60)

Actually right!! I totally forgot about these commands. And yes it's the 8 faders from the right side (DCA by default on X32 standard) that can be used. (and that makes sense as these are not directly linked to any audio engine, unlike the 8 or 16 left side faders).
-Patrick

Contributor - Level 3

/‐stat/geqonfdr
/‐stat/geqpos
(page 60)

I use the GEQ on faders all the time. the only thing that he left out is if you want to flatten the whole EQ at once just hit the 5th encoder you will see that it says reset all.

I would also recommend that you try the TruEQ it combines the filters in a way that the end result it as though you used parametric filters. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvZXsyCtAew for a detailed explanation of this. The video is not an idiots guide it is rather technical. And I don't understand why people boost the frequencies to display something like that, because you should never need to boost like that for a real system. The example shown gives you an idea that the differences are. But it isn't (for me) a real world example.

Keep in mind that you can't copy from the A of one graphic EQ to the B of another you can only copy one EQ both A&B at the same time, but there is a utility that allows you do do that with a computer hooked up to your console. But you can (I think it was added in V3 of the firmware on the consoles) link A&B on a dual EQ and then un-link them and change the EQ separately. Just be careful if you do that because it will copy from the EQ A or B (which ever screen you are on when you hit link) to the other at that point and you will lose what you had on the other EQ. I find this feature helpful if you are EQing monitors because you can get a rough EQ on 2 different sends that are using the same model monitors and then un-link them and tweak each one separately. And there are some other tricks with some of the computer utilities related to the graphic EQs. .

Contributor - Level 3
I quoted Paul but wasn't telling him about the EQ utility because he wrote one of them.

Contributor - Level 2
Thank you very much everyone.
I've had a look at the video for the M32 and it's actually very simple. I need to get into the habit of taking notice of everything on the screen and then things like this will become more obvious.

Contributor - Level 2
He is actually correct Oskar. It's a feature on the X32 full console and Compact (I believe)...
And even on the X32 Producer it is available Smiley Wink

When in the GEQ screen you can simple press the "GEQ on fader" by hitting the first encoder. You can easily also reset a single frequency fader by pressing the mute button above that fader.

Just like Kevin I use it all the time.
Varomedia theater audio solutions

Eq faders

Contributor - Level 2
Patrick-Gilles Maillot;156296 wrote:
... confused I believe. Sends on Faders is *sends*, not EQ freq's on faders.

It's easy to write an app that will have 31+1 sliders for G/TEQ effects. But if you want to do this from the desk's faders, it'll mess up your audio volumes at the same time... at least momentarily.

-Patrick

If this is what you are talking about I have one of my buttons assigned to pull up the mains eq and when it pops up I believe it is the left rotary knob under the screen I push it and it activates the 8 sliders on the right to move the eq faders. There is an option to zero them on the screen also or you use the same rotary knob on the left to select which block of 8 faders you are choosing to move on eq with the 8 faders on the board.

The mute lights above the faders on the board light up and that is the zero position if you adjust a slider the light will turn off and as you bring it back to zero the light will come back on.
If this is not the feature you were speaking of disregard this post

Contributor - Level 3
Jeff Rusin;157250 wrote:
If this is what you are talking about I have one of my buttons assigned to pull up the mains eq and when it pops up I believe it is the left rotary knob under the screen I push it and it activates the 8 sliders on the right to move the eq faders. There is an option to zero them on the screen also or you use the same rotary knob on the left to select which block of 8 faders you are choosing to move on eq with the 8 faders on the board.

The mute lights above the faders on the board light up and that is the zero position if you adjust a slider the light will turn off and as you bring it back to zero the light will come back on.
If this is not the feature you were speaking of disregard this post

I am not sure that I am interpreting your question correctly. But if you press the mute button when it isn't lit it will light and reset that EQ control back to 0.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors