DanielBecker Contributor - Level 2 2016-09-18

2016-09-18

V3 FX question (stereo effect on Mains)

Specifically regarding the Combinator:

In this new XEdit I have the option of FX4L or FX4R for input at the Main's Channel tab. You can't pick both. Does it still go stereo if I pick one or the other?

I noticed if I choose in the Main, Channel, Input tab FX4L or FX4R and return to the Combinator, it shows Insert Main LR in both windows and it's turned on.

This is different from the XAir Edit where you simply choose the FX that the effect is on. There is not the option of FXL or FXR.

• 0 Kudos
  • 16 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: V3 FX question (stereo effect on Mains)

Richard YClark;85086 wrote:
Remember that as I pointed out some sends are usually mono and some can be stereo. But it depends on the type of effect and where you are inserting it. Main L/R can only ever be a stereo insert send whilst many other sources can be mono, twin channel or stereo depending on the effect.

Yes, Mains are stereo. That is my concern/question. So, if I set it for FX4L the Mains are sending stereo? If I set FX4R I get only the right? Because there currently is no option to send the Mains stereo for any effect because there is only one Insert option at the Channel Input for the Mains.

Now, I get if I were using 2 channels that were linked. I get to set each left and right.
Valued Contributor - Level 2

I see where the option for Main L/R comes in to play and yes it does do the same thing no matter what FX slot, sorry to interject that bit of confusion. I still think there's a good chance it doesn't matter which you choose in this case (meaning each option does the same stereo thing) and that this is an issue that needs a fix. If they do behave differently it becomes an even bigger and more important issue to fix. There probably should be additional (functional) menu possibilities for "stereo" 1, stereo 2 etc. to accommodate both stereo and mono fx. Kind of like audio driver settings on some DAW's. Unless it's like what Kevin said and it follows the old L (mono)R scenario but that pretty much does away with stereo operation for the main L/R which defeats the purpose of a stereo effect...and why I think it may not matter which you choose-at least for the time being. Would be good if someone from Behringer clarified.
Contributor - Level 2

Gary Higgins;85141 wrote:
I see where the option for Main L/R comes in to play and yes it does do the same thing no matter what FX slot, sorry to interject that bit of confusion. I still think there's a good chance it doesn't matter which you choose in this case (meaning each option does the same stereo thing) and that this is an issue that needs a fix. If they do behave differently it becomes an even bigger and more important issue to fix. There probably should be additional (functional) menu possibilities for "stereo" 1, stereo 2 etc. to accommodate both stereo and mono fx. Kind of like audio driver settings on some DAW's. Unless it's like what Kevin said and it follows the old L (mono)R scenario but that pretty much does away with stereo operation for the main L/R which defeats the purpose of a stereo effect...and why I think it may not matter which you choose-at least for the time being. Would be good if someone from Behringer clarified.

Yes, I was hoping someone from Behringer would be reading this. I did not want to post in the Bug thread as I don't know if it's a bug. But it does need clarification. Even a simple note in the Channel, Input tab noting that either L or R sets the Mains sending stereo.

I picked the combinatory simply because that is how I have my XR18 set up.
Triber

Daniel Becker;85156 wrote:
Yes, I was hoping someone from Behringer would be reading this. I did not want to post in the Bug thread as I don't know if it's a bug. But it does need clarification. Even a simple note in the Channel, Input tab noting that either L or R sets the Mains sending stereo.

I picked the combinatory simply because that is how I have my XR18 set up.

Dear Daniel and others,
Sorry to learn that there is some demand for clarification in this matter, so let me shed a light on the reasoning. Btw, the X32 EDIT display of channel inserts and effects follows exactly the same logic as on the console:

• all X32 channels are strictly mono signals
  • the option of linking adjacent channels does not make them a stereo channel
  • the Main LR bus is in fact the sole exception in being the only stereo channel in the entire X32 processing
  • all X32 effects inputs are true stereo (unlike X AIR btw)
  • FX1-4 offer 4 true-stereo effects slots that can be used either in Insert mode or in side-chain mode fed from bus 1-16 or main mono/center
  • FX5-8 offer 4 true-stereo effects slots that always work in Insert mode
  • all assignments of fx inserts to channels are made individually per mono-channel, i.e. L(A) and R(B) separately
  • since it is the only exception to the above rule, the Main LR assignment will automatically populate the L(A) effect on the Left side, and the R(B) effect on the Right side of the stereo bus, i.e. if the chosen effect is in Insert mode
  • for all standard applications there is no need to bother, and assigning the left or right Insert effect to Main LR (on the Channel or Config tab of the app) will automatically apply the left half-effect to Main L and the right half-effect to Main R
  • FX1-4 however, can also be operated in side-chain mode and this can be selected for left and right side separately. Nothing prevents you from using e.g. the left half of FX1-4 in the Main-Left insert, and switching the right half effect to side-chain fed from bus 1-16 or Main m/c. Not sure when this might ever be useful, but it is possible.
  • Note however, that there is no way of inserting the right half effect into Main left, or the other way around. Main Left is always on L(A) and Main Right is always on R(B) of the assigned effect.

Hope that helps. Best regards,
Jan
_____________________________________________ Jan Duwe, Product Portfolio Manager MUSIC TRIBE Brands DE GmbH
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Jan for the very informative explanation. So just to be perfectly clear, with Edit 3, if you select the Main ch, on it's own ch page, far left drop down menu and choose any stereo fx 1-4 (if set as an insert) selecting either R or L has the same result? So this would be true: if selecting say Fx4L, it equals Fx4L and Fx4R also selecting Fx4R equals Fx4L and Fx4R? Sounds like that is what you are saying by reason that it is the only stereo bus where other busses being mono busses would matter and thus the choices. The non insert fx in that menu have parenthesis signifying they cant be selected, seems like maybe that specific menu could also not have L or R choices for stereo fx. It is logical why it works the way it does-but seeing and being able to select choices that are not really possible flys in the face of that logic a little bit. A very small part in the big picture for sure. I really like this version a lot, thanks for all your great work and for taking the time to respond!!
Triber

Yes, Gary,
When FX4L/FX4R is in Insert mode, selecting FX4L or selecting FX4R in the Main LR channel Config or Channel tabs has the exact same effect (same function as on the console's config page).

I generally see the choices in parenthesis as a kind of pre-selection for the respective channels, that will become effective as soon as the corresponding FX slot is switched to Insert mode.

Regards,
Jan
_____________________________________________ Jan Duwe, Product Portfolio Manager MUSIC TRIBE Brands DE GmbH
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Jan.

Your explanation clears it up. FYI, I understood linking channels did not make the individual channel stereo, instead, it gives me a stereo option using one L other R. It was my poor shorthand phrasing.