Contributor - Level 2

Who tours with a X32?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to school for audio production and doing a report on the x32 and hoping to get some information. The topic is about what products are used in bigger concerts and since the x32 is so popular I thought it would be easier to find out who is using them.

Do you know what famous artists are using them? My angle to this report is to show that you don't have to use the biggest most expensive mixer if you don't need all the extra channels ... and that alot of bands were already using it.

Do any of you guys tour with known bands and use the x32?

Thx.
Tags (1)
JulianBishop Contributor - Level 2 2015-09-17

2015-09-17

Who tours with a X32?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to school for audio production and doing a report on the x32 and hoping to get some information. The topic is about what products are used in bigger concerts and since the x32 is so popular I thought it would be easier to find out who is using them.

Do you know what famous artists are using them? My angle to this report is to show that you don't have to use the biggest most expensive mixer if you don't need all the extra channels ... and that alot of bands were already using it.

Thx.

• 0 Kudos
  • 16 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Who tours with a X32?

When I saw Queens of the Stone Age last tour Primus was the opener and I'm pretty sure their FOH engineer was using the X32.
Contributor - Level 2

Julian Bishop;59574 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thx.

Earth Wind and Fire were (or are still?) using it as a monitorconsole (in combination with the P16 System) which isn't less demanding than FOH and in times of IEM ultimately even more important than the FOH console.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f2g4H64HK0

Doug Wimbish and Living Colour are using one for monitors, too, and according to Doug, the good old X32 had to fill in as FOH console when the main console went down as well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K0WW0-YEaY

These occasions might be called a marketing stunt of course. You won't find lots of big shows using the X32, since the 32 Channels are simply not enough to run bigger shows. Keep in mind, that you always want to be under the maximum capacity of your equipment if you are working in a professional environment.

There are however lots and lots of small to midsize venues, bands and rental companies that use the X32. And there are videos that give an indication, that the X32 is capable of delivering a big sound, if you pair it with a big PA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q5dRFjAf_s

After all, the equipment is always not the main point, even if this is an unpopular point of viwe to take in audio world. Like with musicians and their instruments, it's always what you make out of what you have at your disposal that's the most important factor.
Contributor - Level 2

There are a lot of them out there, but they are mostly for backup or monitor land. This said, while the X32 has 32 primary channels, you can plug in a DL251 and convert the aux to channels to get 38 mixable channels and a stereo channel for bumper music playback. 38 channels isn't the 48 minimum for a class A national act, but is still enough for the lower acts and venues.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Julian!
I work for a headlining national band as a touring guitar tech, and I'm also the proud owner of an x32 Compact which I use in my home studio for personal projects when I'm not on the road.
A band of the size I work for carries their own FOH and monitor consoles for the large tours, but we also do tons of flyaways and short legs where it would be impractical to carry our own boards.
Although on our last major tour we carried a different brand, we have had many flyaway shows that used x32's for FOH, monitor world, or both. Recent Examples would be The Wolfden at Mohegan Sun (who have one in monitor world), private corporate gigs for tech companies (who seem to rent these for us all the time), and a quite a few found in the mid-sized clubs while we were in New Zealand and Australia.
Every FOH engineer has a preference for the brand he uses, but most of them are fluent on all the popular desks. Our FOH engineer is no exception.
He finds the x32 "drives" very logically, and for the price, they impress him a good deal.
For my part, while I don't have the same budget the band has for gear, I think the x32 is more than just "good for the money". I think it's a very exceptional piece with more features than most desks, and very few drawbacks at all. And I also believe you will see a lot more of these on big tours for bands on their way up.
If there is anything else specific you would like to ask, don't hesitate.
Cheers,
-Daniel
Contributor - Level 2

Ryan Hammond;59606 wrote:
There are a lot of them out there, but they are mostly for backup or monitor land. This said, while the X32 has 32 primary channels, you can plug in a DL251 and convert the aux to channels to get 38 mixable channels and a stereo channel for bumper music playback. 38 channels isn't the 48 minimum for a class A national act, but is still enough for the lower acts and venues.

This is a very fair statement, although I will add that a lot of FOH engineers for large acts purposefully create input lists that are less than 32 channels. In our case, I think we use about 25 channels. This is no accident. Keeping the channel count lean like this ensures that no matter where we show up, we won't have to alter the input list due to equipment constraints.

There is a famous Van Halen story where they asked for "brown m&m's only" on the hospitality rider. As the legend goes, if they showed up and the M&M's weren't only brown, they knew that there were going to be lots of other problems with the rider.
I don't know how much of that story is folklore, but I can tell you, the struggle to get a promoter to not only read the rider, but provide what's in the contract is very real. And the problem seems more true than ever today. It's very hard and very expensive to promote a show. Lots of people don't know what they are doing, or run out of money and cut corners. Sometimes the rider is being purchased by an event planner, and not an in house audio engineer who knows what they are looking at. Just because we signed a contract saying they would provide a sound system with x,y, and z specs doesn't mean they will provide x,y, and z. Just because we spoke on the phone with in house crew a week before the show and they assured us, everything is in order, that certainly doesn't mean it's in order. And just because the back line company claims they brought the right stuff...well, you get the idea. There are a lot of variables to be prepared for when we roll in.

In any case, by keeping channel counts to the essentials, you reduce the chance of having to rework your files when you show up and it's a 32 channel desk (even though the rider said you needed 48). Or you show up and it's a gigantic analogue board that you find out you are sharing with three local acts. Grrr....
In fact, I've seen a whole lot of national touring bands (who I would consider "big") using 24 channel Presonus Studiolive's that they can fly with.

Cheers,
-Daniel
Contributor - Level 2

Oh wow... I learn something new every day Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Ricky Skaggs uses one at FOH and monitors, and I'm pretty sure Marty Stuart does as well.
Valued Contributor - Level 2

California Guitar Trio, Montral Guitar Trio tour with an X32 Rack! Daryl's House uses 2 X32's for FOH and monitor mix and P16's for stage monitors.
Contributor - Level 2

Bill Schnake recently wrote in another post:

"In the past 3 weeks we have used this board to do the opens for Blue Oyster Cult, April Wine, Diamond Rio, Kristian Bush (Sugarland), Confederate Railroad, BlackHawk and Cassadee Pope (winner of The Voice). Headliners BlackHawk, Kristian Bush, Confederate Railroad and Cassadee Pope used the X32 as the FOH console. As Tyler from BlackHawk told me last Sunday, you can't get a better board for under $25,000. Not a bad testimonial."

Also, Snarky Puppy has been seen with an X32 as FOH Console.

The German Comedian Paul Panzer (one of the bad ones but anyway) uses the X32 as an FOH console, too, along with the dB T8/T12/S30 System in Arenas up to 12000 people. They did over 160 Shows in one and a half years and the console obviously did well since it was still there after those gigs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irJBv4Mm--0