Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Windows 10 Error 43 when XR18 is plugged in.

Hey guys,

Trying to in the the 2.23 driver on 2 different Windows 10 machines so I can record via USB.

I can't install the 2.23 driver because the driver wants the XR to be plugged in and turned on, and plugging the XR into either machine gives the Error 43 USB (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

Plug the XR into Windows 8 machine and it works fine.. and it works on a windows 10 machine that was upgraded to 10 after the XR had already been in use.

Both of the machines I am working with are Win10 64, all updates installed and have never had an XR plugged into them.
It's almost like an update for Win10 has come out at some point that has messed something up.

any suggestions besides "Don't use Windows 10"?
I've tried uninstalling the failed device, uninstalling the usb controller, turning off power management of usb slots, unplugging the machine from power to let the usb cache empty... nothing works.

This has nothing to do with the driver because I can't even get that far... it's something between the XR and Windows 10 via USB apparently.

Thank you.
RobJohnson Contributor - Level 2 2016-01-20

2016-01-20

Windows 10 Error 43 when XR18 is plugged in.

Hey guys,

Trying to in the the 2.23 driver on 2 different Windows 10 machines so I can record via USB.

I can't install the 2.23 driver because the driver wants the XR to be plugged in and turned on, and plugging the XR into either machine gives the Error 43 USB (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

Plug the XR into Windows 8 machine and it works fine.. and it works on a windows 10 machine that was upgraded to 10 after the XR had already been in use.

Both of the machines I am working with are Win10 64, all updates installed and have never had an XR plugged into them.
It's almost like an update for Win10 has come out at some point that has messed something up.

any suggestions besides "Don't use Windows 10"?
I've tried uninstalling the failed device, uninstalling the usb controller, turning off power management of usb slots, unplugging the machine from power to let the usb cache empty... nothing works.

This has nothing to do with the driver because I can't even get that far... it's something between the XR and Windows 10 via USB apparently.

Thank you.

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Windows 10 Error 43 when XR18 is plugged in.

I just got the XR18 (an hour ago) and so far it seems OK with Win10 64-bit and the 2.23 USB driver. Maybe try re-installing the drivers?
Contributor - Level 2

thanks for the reply, but as I stated above... I can't install the driver.

Plug the XR into either machine (because you have to in order to even install the driver... as stated above) and both machines give the Error 43 USB (Device Descriptor Request Failed) message.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I've used a machine on 7 then upgraded to 10 with no problems so far. I also got a cheap win 10 tablet which is working.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, as stated above... I am successfully using a machine that was upgraded to 10 from a previous version.

When you say you are connecting a win10 tablet, do you mean via the usb cable to install the driver which allows you to record?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, sorry youre right I didnt read your post properly. Ive just tried using the tablet with fresh windows 10 on via USB. I installed the Behringer drivers and it didnt like it. I wanted to try and reinstall them using compatibility mode but it wont let me as the behringer driver needs to have the device plugged in to reinstall but windows wont let the USB device load now that it knows it and doesnt like it. Very frustrating. Ive tried uninstalling the device but it remembers it every time I plug it in.

Is there an easy way to get Windows to forget it ever met the XR18 so it can have a fresh faced introduction with a new driver presented in compatibility mode??
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

ok... so i had to leave for a bit... so since i had tried 2 different machines and had the same problem, I turned off the XR18 while I left just in case something with it had some how gone wrong...

I get back 2 hours later.... turn on the XR.. plug in the USB to my machine and get the usual USB beep from the PC.. this time listed in the device manager normal with no error...

Ran the driver install utility and it detected the XR no problem.. and installed the driver.

I have no idea....
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Just changed the usb cable and also rebooted the xr18 and it seems ok now. It reinstalled the xr from the behringer drivers after a reboot. That was a fun hour...
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

usually these problems can ultimately be fixed by shutting down the computer and disconnecting its power supply whether that be power cord or battery.. this usually flushes the usb cache.. which is why it probably was fixed after you rebooted.. I have no idea what my problem was.. i had turned off my xr multiple times and still couldnt fix the problem.. leaving it off for an extended length of time seemed to do something however.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Well, I guess I spoke too soon earlier. Though everything seemed OK at first, after a little while I started having USB issues w/ the XR18. For me, it would show up as OK, both in the driver Util and in the DAWs (for the most part...), but I could not get input to a DAW or output over USB. Called Sweetwater support and they had me switch to a USB 2.0 port from the 3.0 port I was originally using on my laptop and everything now seems to be working fine again. Not exactly the same issue as the OP's, but I figured I'd post it here in case other people are having USB issues and it could be something to try...