Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Wired Ethernet for Android Tablets

I have discovered a way to get a wired Ethernet connection on some Android tablets. This could be a handy backup in the event that severe interference prevents reliable wireless connections. I could continue to use Mixing Station X-Air via a cabled connection.

The wired connection is through a Plugable USB OTG Ethernet adapter (model: USB2-OTGE100). This is only supported by some Android tablets. See http://plugable.com/products/usb2-otge100 for a list of tablets and Android versions. It works well on my Nexus 7 with Android 6.0.1.

To connect, switch the tablet to Flight Mode and plug the adapter into the micro USB port. Connect to the XR's Ethernet port - this should previously be configured for DHCP Server mode. If you have an external router set as a DHCP server, you could just plug into one of the LAN sockets. There may be no indication on the tablet that it is connected (although my Nexus shows a couple of arrows on the status bar) so the acid test is whether Mixing Station X-Air can connect. I am amazed at how well it works!
RexBeckett Valued Contributor - Level 1 2016-12-13

2016-12-13

Wired Ethernet for Android Tablets

I have discovered a way to get a wired Ethernet connection on some Android tablets. This could be a handy backup in the event that severe interference prevents reliable wireless connections. I could continue to use Mixing Station X-Air via a cabled connection.

The wired connection is through a Plugable USB OTG Ethernet adapter (model: USB2-OTGE100). This is only supported by some Android tablets. See http://plugable.com/products/usb2-otge100 for a list of tablets and Android versions. It works well on my Nexus 7 with Android 6.0.1.

To connect, switch the tablet to Flight Mode and plug the adapter into the micro USB port. Connect to the XR's Ethernet port - this should previously be configured for DHCP Server mode. If you have an external router set as a DHCP server, you could just plug into one of the LAN sockets. There may be no indication on the tablet that it is connected (although my Nexus shows a couple of arrows on the status bar) so the acid test is whether Mixing Station X-Air can connect. I am amazed at how well it works!

Contributor - Level 2

Re: Wired Ethernet for Android Tablets

I've been doing that for the past season, works great! Sadly you can't have wireless and wired connection on the XR series at the same time, so if your bandmates want to connect wirelessly while you use a wired safeguard you gotta have an external router. Which, of course, is the way to go anyway

You DO have to be careful though with your Android device and Android version. I'm using a Sony Xpera Z1 Tablet, which actually can connect simultaniously to wifi and ethernet. But after a recent software update the ethernet wouldn't be recognized at all and I had to revert to a previous android version. Which is quite a hassle with sony products...

So, no guarantee that ethernet works with your device/software or will continue to. This is really annoying. And getting information on wether your device does support ethernet is also hard to come by Smiley Sad