Contributor - Level 2

X-Air web interface

In some situation, it will be very useful to have a web GUI at the IP address of the mixer.
I understand the choice of having multiple client applications in control devices, but giving the choice it will be very appreciated.
"Music is the closest thing to magic that we have"
Tags (1)
nonsonstatoio Contributor - Level 2 2016-04-14

2016-04-14

X-Air web interface

In some situation, it will be very useful to have a web GUI at the IP address of the mixer.
I understand the choice of having multiple client applications in control devices, but giving the choice it will be very appreciated.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: X-Air web interface

Are you wanting a built-in web interface? Something like that probably could be added (with minimal functions, like network configuration, system status, possibly firmware update, etc.). But I wouldn't expect (or possibly even want) somelike like SoundCraft UI16 (formally SMPro UMix24) technology. Read their forums about the "stability" of that interface, especially when going with two (or more) connected web clients... things like the mixer locking up (not able to mute/unmute a channel or change fader level, very basic stuff).

The later experience COULD be added on externally, like in a specialized web application running on a RPi.

--Doug (dx9s)
Contributor - Level 2

I believe that X-Air product already can handle multiple clients.
What I'm asking is a web interface that will send the same commands of the client application to the X-Air engine.
I don't know how X-Air software is done and I don't know if there is processing room for such a feature.
Super Contributor - Level 2

One of the very best decisions Behringer made for the X Air and X32 series was to use OSC control instead of a web interface or a proprietary protocol. It sets the X Air apart of the market contenders by huge margin! The development and processing resources needed for adding a web interface can much better be used elsewhere.

Background info:
As I've already said in other threads on the forum, being able to control the X Air mixer via OSC is the single most important feature that I based my purchase decision on. The way I use the mixer is all about show automation and remote control for my shows. The only alternatives on the market to the X Air for my use case would be the X32 and Midas M32 series. But they would be overkill in view of the very few inputs and outputs I use. There's nothing else that would allow me to do what I do with the X Air.
Contributor - Level 2

I definitely need to start using OSC protocol.
Can you give me a starting point?
Contributor - Level 3

Some info in the general Discussions stickies.

http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?8362-X-AIR-OSC-Documentation-Release

There is also lots of info on Behringer's take on OSC commands on Patrick's site. Most of it comes from the X32 stable but is still applicable to the XR series.

https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Enrico,

Glad to hear that you are interested in learning and using the OSC protocol. Richard provided the link to the X-Air flavor of this protocol. The X32 OSC is very similar and has been extensively documented by Patrick (https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32). I refer to both documents when developing my apps. One of the best ways to learn how the OSC commands work is by using the X-Air Live Toolbox (https://sourceforge.net/projects/xairlivetoolbox/) with the Cmd Editor and Testing screens. Also tidbits can be created to automate the process similar to scenes and snippets (X32).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you!
I will hopefully have a look this weekend.
I also heard about the possibility to send OSC commands from iPhone. This is one of the main reasons I'm interested in the protocol.
Let's see.