Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X-Dante - Mixing/Recording

Greetings from a X32 (Compact) newbie.

I'm recording a festival in a few weeks, I'll be using the X-Dante card to take a feed for doing a live 2-track mix. But need to Multitrack as well.

Can I receive 32 channels from a FOH console on the primary port and then send to Dante Virtual soundcard (and then ProTools) via the secondary port? Or will this require a network switch?

Thanks in advance... the first of many questions to come!

db

Tags (1)
DanielBracken Contributor - Level 2 2014-08-13

2014-08-13

X-Dante - Mixing/Recording

Greetings from a X32 (Compact) newbie.

I'm recording a festival in a few weeks, I'll be using the X-Dante card to take a feed for doing a live 2-track mix. But need to Multitrack as well.

Can I receive 32 channels from a FOH console on the primary port and then send to Dante Virtual soundcard (and then ProTools) via the secondary port? Or will this require a network switch?

Thanks in advance... the first of many questions to come!

db

• 0 Kudos
  • 14 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X-Dante - Mixing/Recording

You can send from the x32 and receive at multiple Dante enabled computers through a network switch. Don't trust a router. It isn't going to be fast enough. Make sure you test this system before you jump in and it's to late.
Super Contributor - Level 2

Do you need all 32 channels? 30 +2 won't do?
Indianapolis, IN
Contributor - Level 2

Tim Padrick;29429 wrote:
Do you need all 32 channels? 30 +2 won't do?

Yes... all 32.
Contributor - Level 2

I need to receive 32 channels from FOH on the x-dante and send to a single computer. I know it can be done with a switch, my question is, can it be done without one?
Contributor - Level 2

From the Dante card in the X32 to one computer... yes.
Volunteer Moderator

Kevin Barr;29439 wrote:
From the Dante card in the X32 to one computer... yes.

There is one issue though.

X-Dante requires dhcp since you can't set a static address. This means that you need to implement a dhcp server on your computer if you dont want to install a switch/ router with dhcp.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

One Cat5 cable from the X32 card to the pc if he only needs one. If he needs more it will need a switch.
Contributor - Level 2

hmm.. doesn't Audinate's Virtual Soundcard and controller take care of this?
Volunteer Moderator

Daniel Bracken;29452 wrote:
hmm.. doesn't Audinate's Virtual Soundcard and controller take care of this?

Take care of what?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!