Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

X32 Fader (Not Flying) Fix

Having had our X32 for a little over a year we have been very pleased with the performance
and had very few problems that we couldn't sort.
Just before Christmas we noticed channel 1 fader had stopped flying, we could hear the motor
going but the fader just sat there!
A Google search pointed us to a possible belt break.
I decided yesterday to investigate what was going on and whilst doing so took a few photos.
Basically the gear on motor 1 had moved up slightly on the spindle and the fader drive belt had slipped under the gear.
It was quite an easy fix so I made a short tutorial too help others with the same problem.
I did a quick search to see if anyone has posted a similar thing but could't see anything the same.
Hopefully its Ok to post it here.
I've uploaded the .pdf here as its a little over the size allowed as an attachment.
http://www.eastcoastpc.plus.com/Behringer_X32_fader.pdf

cheers
Tags (1)
eastcoastpc Contributor - Level 1 2014-01-08

2014-01-08

X32 Fader (Not Flying) Fix

Having had our X32 for a little over a year we have been very pleased with the performance
and had very few problems that we couldn't sort.
Just before Christmas we noticed channel 1 fader had stopped flying, we could hear the motor
going but the fader just sat there!
A Google search pointed us to a possible belt break.
I decided yesterday to investigate what was going on and whilst doing so took a few photos.
Basically the gear on motor 1 had moved up slightly on the spindle and the fader drive belt had slipped under the gear.
It was quite an easy fix so I made a short tutorial too help others with the same problem.
I did a quick search to see if anyone has posted a similar thing but could't see anything the same.
Hopefully its Ok to post it here.
I've uploaded the .pdf here as its a little over the size allowed as an attachment.
http://www.eastcoastpc.plus.com/Behringer_X32_fader.pdf

cheers

• 0 Kudos
  • 20 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 Fader (Not Flying) Fix

That's a good guide. Nice to see the inside of one too! I've been in several DDXs for buttons being pressed too hard and slipping off microswitches and the occasional loose ribbon cable, hopefully won't have to open up my X32 any time soon though!

I would say 'Shhhh!!! Don't tell Behringer!'. Might be a bit late for that though! Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Nice guide, I'm sure it is going to save somebody's day more than once.

The warning about disconnecting from the mains and voiding warranty should probably be in a textbox with bold lettering, just to make sure
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Nice tutorial.

You wrote one thing as a side note but I think it is essential. Put some glue/locktite on the cog wheel! Otherwise this will happen again.

The berry techs explained that all of the x32 now ships with glued cog wheels. The x32 mostly affected are the ones with kidney shaped fader caps (but yours seems to be the newer one).

And while you're at it, check all of the cog wheels and then glue them as well while you have the x32 open. This will save you a hassle in the future...
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Poop.

Just had 2 of my belts slip of the cogs.
Mine has the newer fader caps, but is a 2012 model.
Bummer as I am in the middle of a 5 week tour!

Mike.
If its too loud, you are too old!
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Sorry to hear, Mike. Do you have a backup of any sort?

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

We have 2 x X32 full consoles. (1 for FOH and 1 for Monitors).

Desk is still usable (as long as no more belts jump off the cog) and we have a Yamaha LS9 as backup (Hmmmmm).

Thanks Paul.

Loving the sound of the X32 though. And the 30ch multi track recordings are coming out superb!
Virtual sound checks are a revelation also!

Mike Smiley Tongue
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

old is a very relative term

and i'd buy a tablet/router loooong before i'd break out a ls9

YMMV
mh
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Good news, it looks like the care team will repair the desk within a 2 day period between shows.

Bad news is, I will be charged. Shame as the desk has only done about 15 shows since I bought it.

Just happy to get a fully functional desk.

Cheers

Mike.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Good news.
Desk arrived repair centre at 10am.
Fully repaired by lunch time the next day.
Plus no charge, even though out of fader warranty.
A big thank you guys.

Mike. Smiley Tongue: